Phantis Forums

General News Regarding Greece Or Greek Society

• 2 months later...

1) Two months ago Tsipras was of the opinion that Greece should agree Exclusive Economic Zones (AOZς in Greek) at the sea.

2) Today Tsipras is of the opinion that the agreement with Egypt strengthens/justifies the Turkish position. 

3) The Turkish press is now of the opinion that Tsipras is the wisest of the Greeks.

• 1 month later...

The same news story reference for our English readers:

From the BBC: Greece Golden Dawn: Neo-Nazi leaders guilty of running crime gang

After a trial lasting more than five years, the leadership of Greece's neo-Nazi party has been convicted of running a criminal organisation.

_114795234_fascist.jpg

That was a very hard to get verdict. It essentially means that Golden Dawn is no more.  As Nils Muiznieks of Amnesty International said, the trial sent a clear message: that "violent and racist criminal activity - whether perpetrated by individuals on the street or members of parliament - will not go unpunished".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

333798529_912412550105708_6213767680670890616_n.jpg?itok=zzv6zwcE

Pictured is Ioannis Papagianakis, PAOK coach for junior water polo team and a volunteer firefighter at the Tempe train accident site. The picture speaks for itself. Nothing but respect.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, Soprano76 said:

Greek elections are being held in May. I think ND will hold on and get the highest vote share, but the margin will be between 3-5%. 

Wow, I was way off on this prediction. Personally if I was in Greece I would vote ND. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, tomorrow's (June 25th) result is almost certain, the only question is by what margin ND will win, and how many small parties will enter parliament. I think ND and Mitsotakis' biggest challenges will be arrogance and favoritism in the absence of credible opposition. If Mitsotakis can manage these, he'll be remembered well by history as one of the best PMs in Greek history.

They should stop changing the electoral law every so often in order to benefit the party in power. SYRIZA's attempt blew up in its face with this election. Anyway, Greece needs stability and technocrats in power, not irresponsible populists like Tsipras and most of the other smaller parties. I also think they should raise the minimum to 5% from 3% for a party to clear in order to enter parliament.  Plurality is good but cacophony isn't.

• 6 months later...

The permanent population of the country on January 1st of 2023 is estimated to be 10,413,982 people (5,090,591 men and 5,323,391 women), reduced by 0.5% compared to the corresponding population on January 1, 2022, which was 10,461,627 people.

• 2 months later...