Phantis Forums

Konstantinos Mavropanos ‒ West Ham United

Argy

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mavropanos is on the verge of moving to Nuremberg on loan for the rest of the season. They are currently fighting for their lives in Germany's second division as they are third last and in a relegation playoff spot. Would've been better to see him move to a club in the top tier somewhere, but I guess any minutes are good at this stage. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/EllinesExoterikou/konta-se-nyremvergh-o-mayropanos.5668128.html

• Argy changed the title to Konstantinos Mavropanos ‒ FC Nürnberg (on loan from Arsenal until June 30, 2020)
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Argy said:

I hope that Manolas and Sokratis are back. 

If they care about their country and heritage they should want to come back. They can’t do anything about changing the EPO. It is what it is, hopefully there is a change of management soon. Manolas would definitely be key to our success going forward. Sokratis, I don’t know. It seems like he isn’t where we need him to be anymore and Hatzidiakos or Mavropanos are good enough replacements in my opinion.

Edited by Dean97

On 2/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, Dean97 said:

If they care about their country and heritage they should want to come back. They can’t do anything about changing the EPO. It is what it is, hopefully there is a change of management soon. Manolas would definitely be key to our success going forward. Sokratis, I don’t know. It seems like he isn’t where we need him to be anymore and Hatzidiakos or Mavropanos are good enough replacements in my opinion.

Sokratis is still playing at a very high level in England. He is still in the starting XI for me for the next campaign. 

As for Manolas, it would be travesty to lose a player like that in his prime because of conflict with management. 

12 hours ago, Argy said:

Sokratis is still playing at a very high level in England. He is still in the starting XI for me for the next campaign. 

As for Manolas, it would be travesty to lose a player like that in his prime because of conflict with management. 

I think both have problems with upper management. It would be a travesty if both don’t return. Sokratis has lots of experience and still playing at a high level and Manolas is in the prime of his career in a decent league with Napoli. Manolas speed alone is essential for the team. 

I hope they return but if they don’t I have faith in Hatzidiakos and Retsos. Mavropanos has a lot to do to convince me that he can be our top defender but he is getting there and if it wasn’t for injuries he would be still at Arsenal and might’ve been an important player for them in my opinion. Hopefully all 3 stay injury free for the majority of their careers as they have great potential.

Its unfortunate what has happened lately with K.Papadopoulos. 

• Like it 1

On 2/25/2020 at 2:52 AM, Dean97 said:

I think both have problems with upper management. It would be a travesty if both don’t return. Sokratis has lots of experience and still playing at a high level and Manolas is in the prime of his career in a decent league with Napoli. Manolas speed alone is essential for the team. 

I hope they return but if they don’t I have faith in Hatzidiakos and Retsos. Mavropanos has a lot to do to convince me that he can be our top defender but he is getting there and if it wasn’t for injuries he would be still at Arsenal and might’ve been an important player for them in my opinion. Hopefully all 3 stay injury free for the majority of their careers as they have great potential.

Been awhile since I posted but I think Manolas is still useful for the NT as his speed and challenges makes him difficult to play against. As for Sokratis his last game ironically vs Olympiakos was the best I have seen him play in quite sometime. He was asked by Greek reporters after the match if he would want back in to the NT. He didn’t rule out a return and said the NT needs calm now and acknowledge JVS has done a great job since he has taken over. 

I love what Sokratis has given to the NT over the years from watching him frustrate Messi in the 2010 World Cup and then fast forward to the 2014 World Cup when he scored the dramatic equalizer vs CR. I just have a hard time getting over how he went after the last coach and how his actions basically costed Greece a vital three points vs Armenia and thus ruined our euro qualification.

6 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Been awhile since I posted but I think Manolas is still useful for the NT as his speed and challenges makes him difficult to play against. As for Sokratis his last game ironically vs Olympiakos was the best I have seen him play in quite sometime. He was asked by Greek reporters after the match if he would want back in to the NT. He didn’t rule out a return and said the NT needs calm now and acknowledge JVS has done a great job since he has taken over. 

I love what Sokratis has given to the NT over the years from watching him frustrate Messi in the 2010 World Cup and then fast forward to the 2014 World Cup when he scored the dramatic equalizer vs CR. I just have a hard time getting over how he went after the last coach and how his actions basically costed Greece a vital three points vs Armenia and thus ruined our euro qualification.

I think everything happens for a reason. Most likely for a good reason. Sokratis has given Greece a lot over the years. I still think he has something to offer after watching him lately. Manolas should be a lock in this team even though we shouldn’t be saying that. Everyone has to earn their spot. 

I wouldn’t mind having them back.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 2:52 AM, Dean97 said:

Serie A is way more than a decent league. It's world class. 

• 4 months later...

He's been loaned out for next season to promoted Stuttgart in the Bundesliga.  Big year for him and his career, the chance to play in the Bundesliga, he's 22. Time to stop being a talent and step up and cement his spot as a starter in one of Europe's top leagues. Hopefully his body holds up and he is able to have a big season. 

https://www.sport24.gr/Basket/germania/mayropanos-anakoinwthhke-o-daneismos-toy-sthn-stoytgkardh.5732562.html

https://www.goal.com/en/news/mavropanos-signs-arsenal-contract-seals-loan-stuttgart/1oj39nu7ctlmz1877lpaemua52

• Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Konstantinos Mavropanos ‒ VfB Stuttgart (on loan from Arsenal until June 30, 2021)
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching the replay of Mavro's first start for Stuttgart. Very promising performance! Before a groin strain (can we get this guy a new groin already?!) had him off at ~70', he showed a lot of talent on the right side of the back-3. Two near headers on goal, great footwork on a saving tackle, and showed a combined aggression/strength/speed that reminded me a bit of Manolas. His teammates played the ball back to him often to make plays (including some accurate lofts up the field that created openings for chances). Seemed comfortable playing the ball up past mid-field a couple of times. Hopefully he can get healthy, because his talent today should earn him a lot more caps. Great 1-1 result against a talented Bayer04 squad.

Edited by FrappeFetish
  • Like it 1

• 1 month later...

Back in the XI today for Stuttgart after his latest injury lay-off, currently they trail Bayern 1-2 after leading 1-0 in the first half. 

Hopefully he gets through this game unscathed and can get a run of matches together heading into the qualifiers in March. 

• Like it 1

9 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Hopefully all goes well for him & we see him called up to the NT for the World Cup qualifiers.

I really want to see him play for Greece. It’s long overdue and his injuries haven’t helped. I really think he can be a good addition to the team.

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to Konstantinos Mavropanos ‒ West Ham United