Phantis Forums

Greeks at the Australian Open

Dutch Eagle

Incredible comeback! What determination! He got his revenge from last year's semifinals defeat. Medvedev will certainly not be an easy one and he owns Tsitsipas all-time. He better put his full out effort on the young Russian. 

Sadly, Tsitsipas was never in this game. He was physically drained from the Nadal match. Medvedev dominated from the first set and beyond. 15 aces to only 3 from Tsitsipas (3 double faults). He won 4 of his 5 break points, only one from Tsitsipas. The final score : 4-6, 2-6, 5-7. 

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...

Was not expecting such a dominate performance from him given he is coming off elbow surgery and his form had been patchy leading into the quarters. A really impressive performance and victory, now for Medvedev his old rival. 

Medvedev owns their head-to-head record 6-2. Tsitsipas beat him at the French Open last year, but I think the clay worked in his favour. It will be tough but you never know, Medvedev was down match point and had to come back from 2 sets down in the quarters to make it this far. 

• 11 months later...

Sakkari through to the 2nd round with a comfortable 6-1, 6-4 win. 

Tsitsipas plays in a few hours, his opponent Halys has displayed some good form in the lead-up events. Stef may be in for a tricky night I expect Halys to push him to at least 4 sets. Hopefully I'm wrong and it ends up being a comfortable first up win for him.