Phantis Forums

Who Will Replace Mitroglou After He Retires?

Dean97

According to Transfermarkt website Douvikas has a higher market value than Kampetsis. So Douvikas looks like he will progress faster than Kampetsis.

We do have Karelis and Donis but do they score a lot of goal the way Mitroglou does? They are both young and have time especially Donis. Karelis has proven in 1 season in Belgium he can finish. Donis hasn't got the amount of goals needed to replace Mitroglou but has the potential to lead the team. Plus he has a lot if time as he is only 21. 

Mitro's playing style is like the Greek Ibra. Strength / Shooting / Positioning. This type of striker is good up till 35ish. So I think we're good for a while.

I don't think we'll get someone at Mitroglou's quality for a while but we have a bunch of decent ones.

I really liked Klaus when he was in form. I don't know how and why he faded away.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, georgelaz said:

Mitro's playing style is like the Greek Ibra. Strength / Shooting / Positioning. This type of striker is good up till 35ish. So I think we're good for a while.

I don't think we'll get someone at Mitroglou's quality for a while but we have a bunch of decent ones.

I really liked Klaus when he was in form. I don't know how and why he faded away.

I agree that we won't a player of Mitroglou quality who is strong and a target man. Hope we will get more agile strikers who are fast and make runs continuously. Mitroglou is good but lacks in these departments. We need someone like Alexis Sanchez. Maybe after he is finished we can move into 2 strikers. I liked the way Diamantakos used to play for Olympiakos. But lately he hasn't shown much and it's disappointing as i thought he would turned into a star striker. 

Karelis is a very talented striker and if you look at his stats they might actually be on par withMitroglou ones when he was playing in the Greek League.

Playing for a far worse than Oly team and 83 appearances with 29 goals alongside Berg while Oly was playing with 1 striker. No wonder he got a good move in Belgium.

Genk I do not really rate that league much more than the Greek one but it sure has more quality in the 2nd->5th positions  than the Greek League does. The other teams are the typical Greek Village teams.

I think Karelis finding form right now is a top priority and that Karelis alongside Donis will have us "set" for good. 

They re nothing close to Mitroglou but In my opinion they re mobile which can change the way the team plays. Fast game with through balls. 

I think if we qualify for Euro we have a chance of doing great there. The close future seems nice with our core of players still being active and in decent age and promising 19-21 youths existing.

I don't remember in the close past so many younglings like the ones abroad and the ones in Oly, Aek , Paok existing. Add the fact that there is interest from good leagues in players of Astears,Atromitos,Panionios,Pas Giannina. The future does seem bright. However they do tend to disappoint.

EDIT:
By the way the younglings im talking about are Retsos,Donis from abroad and Galanopoulos, Kourbelis(well not so youngling but sure doing great in a dead team), Pelkas,Lamprou,Douvikas,Siopis.

All these players are under 24 and most of them are in positions we re hurt, Central midfielders, defensice midfielders, and wingers - Douvikas mostly plays on the wings.

There are other players under 24 too who im not mentioning but im mostly talking about players that heven't settled yet with the NT. I do not believe Retsos and Donis havent settled yet either, despite making cameos in the previous campaign's 2nd half.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

16  in 58 for Mitroglou to be exact

Based on the other top scorers for the Greek NT, he actually is eye popping

3rd.Gekas 24 in 74 matches

2nd.Charisteas 25 in 88 matches

1st.Anastopoulos 29 in 78 matches

I think he ll go 2nd in rati and surpass both Gekas and Charisteaso but he ll definately score more than Anastopoulos as well.

But considering that football has changed in thecurrent era and defence is a lot more organized than it was 35 years ago, I'd say he s much better.

He needs 8 goals in 16 matches to surpass Gekas' goals / matches ratio

. He needs 9 goals in 20 matches to go past Charisteas or he needs 13 in 20 matches to surpass Anastopoulos.

They dont really sound very hard knowing in his next 20 matches he ll face teams from Pot 6 and pot 5 4 times in total.

The playstyle of the NT however is hurting our strikers. If a goal comes from a corner the team will try to just defend the 1-0 lead and it doesn't allow the strikers easily to finish the match. Of course that had been an issue since 2002.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

I don't think in my opinion Mitroglou will beat Anastopoulos record. I agree with what you said about the way we play hurts our strikers. This needs to change. I also believe we will create more with Karelis and Donis playing because of their off the ball movement and speed. 

Skibbe has said he wants to integrate Karelis back in the team. He should be also integrating different midfielders as well. Karelis or Mitroglou can't lift the team by themselves when they don't have good enough service. 

Mitroglou doesn't score much lately because with Skibbe's retarded tactics there's only Fortounis up front who can help him. But that's 2 vs the opposing defence and midfield. Why is that? Because our "wingers" are not wingers but either Cdms like Zeca or Amfs like Mantalos or Side backs like Stafylidis. And despite that they're told to sit back and defence first. As a result of so this s%$#! no-one can feed Mitroglou and he gets lost in the mediocrity of the rest of the team the way Skibbe picks up the XI. 

But as a really stupid coach he is, not only he doesn't call up the right players but also he doesn't utilize our players the way he should. Even teams with good offensive players tend to play with 3 in the back and 2 full backs. That's also our major weapon but that overpaid s%$#! can't see we lack wingers. Let's assume that our natural wingers at the moment are Donis, Lazaros, Fetfatzidis and Gianniotas. Only the first two are NT material. The other are not difference makers. 

So why don't we play like that I still fail to understand.

Gk; Karnezis

FRB; Stafylidis

Cb: Sokratis

Cb; Manolas

Cb; Papadopoulos

Cdm; Samaris

Cdm; Kourmpelis

Amf; Fortounis

Amf; Donis

Cf; Mitroglou

Back ups;

Kapino, Anestis, Koutris, Retsos, Hatzidiakos, Lykogiannis, Charisis, Tachtsidis, Mantalos, Pelkas, Karelis, Lazaros

Overall ok.

• Like it 1

Although 16 in 58 isn't eye popping, we need to take into consideration that he plays on a defense-first Greece team. If he was playing in front of a more skilled/attack minded midfield, he would have likely had double the goals. 

Edited by Argy

On 2/1/2018 at 2:36 PM, Boxou said:

Mitroglou doesn't score much lately because with Skibbe's retarded tactics there's only Fortounis up front who can help him. But that's 2 vs the opposing defence and midfield. Why is that? Because our "wingers" are not wingers but either Cdms like Zeca or Amfs like Mantalos or Side backs like Stafylidis. And despite that they're told to sit back and defence first. As a result of so this s%$#! no-one can feed Mitroglou and he gets lost in the mediocrity of the rest of the team the way Skibbe picks up the XI. 

But as a really stupid coach he is, not only he doesn't call up the right players but also he doesn't utilize our players the way he should. Even teams with good offensive players tend to play with 3 in the back and 2 full backs. That's also our major weapon but that overpaid s%$#! can't see we lack wingers. Let's assume that our natural wingers at the moment are Donis, Lazaros, Fetfatzidis and Gianniotas. Only the first two are NT material. The other are not difference makers. 

So why don't we play like that I still fail to understand.

Gk; Karnezis

FRB; Stafylidis

Cb: Sokratis

Cb; Manolas

Cb; Papadopoulos

Cdm; Samaris

Cdm; Kourmpelis

Amf; Fortounis

Amf; Donis

Cf; Mitroglou

Back ups;

Kapino, Anestis, Koutris, Retsos, Hatzidiakos, Lykogiannis, Charisis, Tachtsidis, Mantalos, Pelkas, Karelis, Lazaros

Overall ok.

No.

Papadopoulos has downgraded a lot.

His movements and defensive "solutions" are not trustworthy and it was easily noticable by the other defensive players in the first Croatia game. Sokratis was yelling at him all the time.

Papadopoulos is a solid back up and nothing more for a team that wishes to qualify for big tournaments.

For 3 Centerbacks, go for Retsos and hope/see how Hatzidiakos and this Mavropanos kid develop.

Stafylidis LWB we re set for quite some years. I think he has a career ahead of him and can probably be a star in a mediocre big League team. Fiorentina is interested in him and I think Augsburg is unfair to him becz he wanted a transfer in the summer. Unlucky in my opinion coz the Augsburg Left Back German kid is also performing a lot currently. We ve seen others step up out of backtracks in their career and I believe he has the lust to do so.

Karnezis is a good keeper but if until our next official matches he gets minimum to none playtime i'd rather have the Paok Paschalakis dude or Anestis. Noone else right now worthy but a lot of things can change till the next time. Kapino by many of my friends who are well aware of their sayings is considered a Ευρωπαικων Προδιαγραφών με καριέρα μπροστά του keeper. Gianniotis also decent but hasn't been tested outside Greece. I will not say anything about the Keeper coz as I said we have a lot of time till our next matches.

Torosidis Right Back is a mistake. He has no more than 2 years for him. Either put a LB (because we have quite a few) with a left foot of I dont know. Put Papadopoulos there and just attack from the Left? Depends on the opponent I suppose. Torosidis needs to start but we definately want a few players to try and "steal" his spot. Kitsiou is the one who comes to mind although not so young

Kourbelis definately an upgrade from anyone used. Tall guy and has some mobility. Not much of a pacey dude but definately mroe movable than Tziolis. Tziolis had a secure a safe pass I agree but I don't think that's enough to hold the midfield with such a lack of mobility.

I would go for something like this in the friendlies

Kapino 

Retsos Sokratis Manolas

Kitsiou - Kourbelis - Siopis - Stafylidis

Fortounis

Karelis - Donis

Charisis definatley needs to be checked.

Galanopoulos and 

Overall After so many months I still stand my ground. Skibbe did not make so many "criminal" mistakes as people consider him to have done.

We ve never really had 3 above decent strikers since 2004 in our expense so not fielding 2 of them for some "not his position" winger seems awkward to me.

This even plays to our strengths because it's quite the defensive scheme imho.

Why would you actually try Kitsiou instead of Koutris? That guy is our future LB and sooner than later is moving to a solid foreign team like Retsos. Even Mpakakis and Lykogiannus need to be tried out, they have had better seasons than Kitsiou.

Nah Koutris currently is very bad defensively. His offensive attributes are splendid though which I suppose means with a proper coach( not the circus my team Olympiakos is under currently) and with maturity comming with the years could be a decent LB.

The reason I picked Kitsiou instead of Koutris? Lol maybe coz Kitsiou is a Right back and I think we can't get away with it by having 2 Left Backs against a decent opposition. Meme teams like Liechtenstein, even the likes of Romania, we can probably handle a badly footed LB in the RB position but I think there will come a time when we need to play with the likes of a Belgium or England :) at least let's have a player who knows the position.

I disagree. He has a better potential than Kitsiou, so does Lykogiannis. They would offer more than him who showed no improvement in Paok for 3 years hence he was loaned out and I doubt they count on him at the moment with Matos, Vierinhia and Azevedo.

About Koutris you'll notice major improvement once he moved away and don't forget he has only 1 and a half year experience in the Greek league, with one being at PAS and the other half with Olympiacos where he alreasy established himself as a starter and has drawn interest from several solid clubs like Benfica and Wolfsburg to say some.

Edited by Boxou

Kitsiou I rated a long time ago. Bakakis and Lykogiannis need to be tried. Koutris has a future. We have leftbacks we also have some right backs. By the biggest issue and the reason why this topic is here is that we will probably not have a decent enough replacement for Mitroglou.

Old strikers such as Charisteas, Gekas, Vryzas, Nikolaidis and Salpingidis are all legends and have retired. Now we have Karelis who is injury prone and Donis who is currently injured. I believe in the future we will have midfielders than can pass a ball unlike Tziolis and have more of a brain unlike Samaris and Tziolis. 

Samaras was very good in that sole striker position. Mitroglou is very slow. I know he is a target man but with our current midfield like Samaris, Tachtisidis and Tziolis where will the goals come from. These midfielders mentioned play very one dimensional at times and with a static striker like Mitroglou it's very easy for opposing defenders to close down. We need to fix this problem as we will not score and therefore not be in major tournaments. The full back position is the least of our problems.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I would go for something like this in the friendlies

Kapino 

Retsos Sokratis Manolas

Kitsiou - Kourbelis - Siopis - Stafylidis

Fortounis

Karelis - Donis

I wouldn't mind that line up in March. But we score most of our goals from set pieces and the lack of height in that team could cost us. This team looks like it would do well with nice passes and strikers running into space. Defensively it looks safe especially with Siopis in the middle running everywhere but again we need some tall players to defend and attack set pieces.