Phantis Forums

Maria Sakkari

Blackhawk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MrMarouli

Not recent news but I saw her at the Australian Open this year. Amazing tennis player

Edited by MrMarouli

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The previous week she made the final at the Masters at Indian Wells. Slip ups happen and is somewhat understandable especially after her great run the previous week. So not all doom and gloom. 

Maria has had a great couple of years, going deep into Grand Slams. The next challenge for her is to take that next step and really compete with the top 3-4 players and win those semi finals and become a finalist and a potential slam winner. 

I am not sure her game is quite at the level of those very top players but she is a fighter and very tenacious. Hopefully that can help her get over the line in those semis and finals. 

Edited by paokarag4

It's all psychological. I think Sakkari and Tsitsipas need to develop the killer instinct. In many instances they start a match great winning the first set, but then go downhill in the next set. It is then harder to pick things up and win the third and deciding sets. They need to start taking their games to the next level and finishing the matches. 

Having said that I think Sakkari has greatly improved in the last 2 years. On the other hand Tsitsipas has not made that much progress.

• 11 months later...

Sakkari seems to play so well at the Indian Wells Masters
She is in the semifinals after a nice comeback win against Kvitova. 
She wants to return to the finals like last year, but first she has to get by Sabalenka (who is red hot during the 2023 season). 

• 6 months later...