Phantis Forums

Daily Team News [ 2017 ]

athinaios
Message added by Lazarus

Recent years: 2016 | 2015

I watched the game on Sunday and I thought this team is a mid table team that will struggle all season!

The parting of Berg, Zeka and Mbokou has cost dearly. The players who came to replace them are nowhere near that level.

We are in dire straights with the situation at the helm. Looks like the team is headed for a disaster unless big pockets intervene.

I hate to see us end up like aek! It would be shameful to the History of Panathinaikos!

The way thing going I see us not even making the top 6!

Edited by Lamiara ole
  • Like it 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lamiara ole said:

I watched the game on Sunday and I thought this team is a mid table team that will struggle all season!

The parting of Berg, Zeka and Mbokou has cost dearly. The players who came to replace them are nowhere near that level.

We are in dire straights with the situation at the helm. Looks like the team is headed for a disaster unless big pockets intervene.

I hate to see us end up like aek! It would be shameful to the History of Panathinaikos!

The way thing going I see us not even making the top 6!

After the first few games its been hsrc to watch this team. The first 60 minutes vs Athletic Bilbao in Europa qualifying was tremendous, but since that late game meltdown it seems like everything is going downhill for the team. It would have been a huge boost just to qualify for Europa even if they went out at the group stage. It's tough to watch such a historic club struggle on and of the field.

They'll sell keeper Vlacho to Benfica now.

But, I think you're right, Alafouzo would have walked away already and save some more of his money. He knows if he leaves with no one else to take over (with money) the club will go bankrupt. So, he won't leave in a few weeks or in the near future, but the club will be barely making it. Also right about the brand name. PAO in 3rd div or in bankruptcy is bad for Alafouzos' business and for Dimitris'. Maybe they're playing a game to force creditors, perhaps the gov (for OAKA), and players to accept less.

They'll need to keep the team safe and do as well as possible in the Greek cup.

No to harp on old arguments, it was many years ago when I was saying in this forum that Greek football is being killed by the people involved. The damage may be too much now to recover, because a whole generation of youngsters never truly identified with a team. Besides there have been many more distractions for young people (and adults) so football is not one of the few sports or activities available like it was when I was going up.  The sport if it survives will have to be entertaining to attract viewers...

But, with hooliganism, bad players, horrible officiating, corruption, and unplayable fields, there's no attraction. The gap with the Euro teams is getting bigger. Only gavroi have managed to still be competitive but they have a bigger budget than all the other Greek teams combined.   So, it's no surprise that you see two-digit ticket sales in many games. It's not sustainable.

• Like it 1

Well, Alafouzos called it quits today. He's leaving though he said he'll help up to $20 million of PAO's obligations. Apparently, the club owes and has running obligations of lots more than the 20 mil.

I was never a fan of Alafouzo as a manager and owner of our beloved club, but he did step in when PAO was about to go bankrupt, again, and when no one, nobody, was willing to save the club. In many conversations here, when many were asking for Ala's immediate resignation, I didn't think he was holding on when there was a better alternative. Simply there was none. I figured that he was probably losing money by owning PAO.  He leaves while the club isn't in a worse position it was 5-6 years ago, in terms of financial obligations.  And, by the way, he's still willing to fork out another 20 mil, something the wealthy previous owners did not when they abandoned the club.

So, here's the moment so many fans wanted.

1 hour ago, jvc said:

Here's the new rules if PAO takes the AEK root to dissolve debts.   At the moment Alafouzos has not dropped 20 million.  If PAO goes bankrupt he will not be obligated to do so.  That being said,  it's Alafouzos who has sunk the boat and destroyed the club....he raised the debts by 30 million!  And all along he was telling everyone he was reducing them....no mention of the current crisis. While this was going on....GATE 13 was singing,   mono sti leoforo.  And all along myself and thousands of supporters,  maybe hundreds of thousands were warning that Alafouzos will eventually destroy PANATHINAIKOS!  This historic club is on the verge of disappearing for good.  With the new rules you can't take the AEK root.    

I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED GATE 13!  MALAKES!!!

I agree with most of what you're saying. But, even though Alafouzos was totally incompetent and failed in every single task, including the task he first claimed wanted to do--to get the club on sound fiscal state--PAO is in the same position as when Ala took over. Back then no big-money PAO person stepped in to save the club (SHAME to those who left the club in such a terrible shape), and I'm afraid no one will step in today. So, Ala just took everyone for a ride only to return the club to same horrible position.

The new law does not allow a club to shed its debt, unless the club is dissolved, including giving up its symbols! Plus 3 years in amateur league, and another 3 to climb back to div 1..... that is, if they still can climb a division every year (doubtful)... So, 6 years, plus old debts... This is not good.

But, once they get to div. 2, the debts are awaiting...  So, PAO can't do what AEK did.. shed the debts and return in 3 years.

Don't get me started with Gate 13...

Have you seen anyone of those "Φωστηρες" hanging around or emerging to see and comment on what has taken place so far?

Don't expect them to appear ever!

My tongue has grown hair talking about it! 

You never ever  push to the brink the wealthiest family in Greece just because!

The team is in the verge of bankruptcy and you have only a few "σαινια" to blame for!

The team future is hanging by a thread! 

Edited by Lamiara ole

Looking back someone can say it'd have been better back then to have declared bankruptcy and fallen to 3rd div. like AEK because the law was more lenient---discharge the debt (which is unethical if you ask me) and climb back up in 3 years. Not anymore.  But, the fact remains: Bad people still control the league.

I want to see the PAO books open so we know what happened when and by whom. Transparency may help with fixing the club, same with the league eventually. But how do you account for bad decisions? Same in politics. You may reduce corruption but incompetency can ruin any effort.  Alafouzos wasted lots of money by selecting bad coaches and bad, expensive players.

Let's say I'm very wealthy and I pay Greece's debts today. Do you think that its leaders won't accumulate huge debts quickly again?.... Same with football.  PAO needs a very wealthy person who will dump tons of money into the club and lose lots of it.   Oh, and by the way, forget having a group of people collectively guiding the club... not in Greece; such models don't work there.

Ala refused to meet with Ouz and stopped paying additional money to the club, but reportedly he'll pay the taxes, loans, etc. The key is that the club pays the players by end of Oct.  Once this is done, then they'll sell a couple players and finish the season limping. Forget Europe for a while; I think it's certain that PAO will be kicked out. But, given the situation, if the club avoids bankruptcy it'd be the best outcome. Btw, I don't think going to 3rd div. for 3 years is the solution because most of the debts won't go away. Now they could dissolve the club but...

As for the debts, yeah, some of them are stupid, but some are to people who need those payments, including the club's workers, managers, trainers. You know, if I had a small business and a club owed me money I'd be pissed off.

Ala has to open the books and explain how exactly we got here. He should not be absolved of any responsibility when this past year he approved all new signings and spendings. He promised Ouz certain things.  He better be a man and own up to those promises.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:36 AM, jvc said:

This is what I'm hearing after reading that.....   You're in prison, so the rapes and beatings will continue but there's a promise of good ..food.  Excuse me, but the club has an existential crisis and they're now discussing a new development about the γηπεδο?!! 

well, players long gone are still owed lots of money and they're threatening to sue, which means the team will be punished with -3 points per game, and after 3 offenses, it automatically drops a division.  Tavlarides is owed $30K immediately and there are many others, like Toche, Essien (remember Alafouzos spending close to a million on this a-hole?), et al.

This doesn't look good at all. If PAO isn't relegated would be the best outcome right now.

I really don't get Alafouzos, he approved the transfers in the summer, he knew the situation, and to basically pull out after the season has started is unethical, stupid, vindictive, and anything else bad you can say.   I don't know why the new people at the helm aren't telling us what's going on. Karagounis said "no" to joining the effort to save the club, and the veterans of the team issued a similar statement why the current management isn't more transparent...

Karagounis is owed 550,000 euro…that is the answer!

About alafouzo…we have discussed it numerous times!

He should have never gotten involved to start with.

He has ruined this team and the result is inevitable!

Relegation and sell off!

Που σε καταντισανε ρε Παναθηναικε?

Today, the PAE revealed the numbers, but everybody is not on the same page.. DY said he'll reveal everything on Monday if PAE doesn't come clean about the numbers.

Keeper Vlaho is signed by Benfica and PAO will get much needed cash. But, does anyone know what money must be in the club's possession and by what date so the team isn't penalized or worse relegated?

^^^^

is that money enough for the team to complete the season without being relegated? how about UEFA? I heard the penalty can be up to 3 year ban from euro play.

now, if they sell everyone, they may pay their bills but they still have to earn enough points not to fall to div 2...:confused:

The problem with all plans that ask for PAO fans (rich and poor) to contribute and help save the club is the uncertainty!  You may want to put your hand deep in your pocket to buy tickets, donate, etc, but if you're not sure this would help, you may not do so.

Someone may shell out $25/month for next year's tickets, but they'd probably want to know if PAO plays in div 1 or 3....

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.sdna.gr/podosfairo/superleague/article/398993/kaloyme-toys-epifaneis-panathinaikoys-na-syndramoyn-na-sothei

I was waiting for this to happen. All the fostires of gate 13 finally came to their senses!

They destroyed the team by kicking out the wealthiest family in Greece and now they begging them to contribute for the team's survival.

Katantia! 

• 2 weeks later...

Look, only some very rich person who's a bit crazy would spend* the money to get control of the club and make it into a great (for Greek standards) club again. (*I almost said "invest" but this would imply the possibility of some $ returns).  The league is bad, attendance is down, corruption and incompetence abound, and there's a good chance that the fan base would curse you out. So, they should find a masochist or someone very rich that $100 mil. isn't a problem.  I mean if you're a billionaire (and some Greeks are multi-b) buy this club and show off to the other big 3 club owners!

It is very sad to say that no-one will touch the team with such massive debt!

Not even gazilioneers!

None wants to waste their money on a lost cause!

The team is destined for bankruptcy and relegation to the 3rd division, if that!

ΕΙΧΑΜΕ ΤΗΝ ΚΑΡΔΑΡΑ ΜΕ ΤΟ ΓΑΛΑ...ΚΑΙ ΤΟ ΧΗΣΑΜΕ!

Σ.....Α ΣΤΑ ΜΟΥΤΡΑ ΜΑΣ!

Pao has a massive debt and the above will not settl things or attract a new owner. The team owes money to the entire world.  Who is going to touch this?

Investors are only interested to make mone and not lose it.

If that was the case people like the Giannakopoulos family would step in. They realized that the team is in a huge debt and backed off.

Bankrutpcy and relegation is the only solution.

Who has the guts to do it though?