Phantis Forums

Olympiakos vs. Sporting Lisbon ( 12 September 2017, Giorgos Karaiskakis, Piraeus )

Omonoia9

• Lazarus changed the title to Olympiakos vs. Sporting Lisbon ( 12 September 2017, Giorgos Karaiskakis, Piraeus )

this has got to be the worst I have ever seen oly play at karaiskaki for years. don't understand why the defence was pushing up so early leaving massive wholes in the back. even after the first goal you would think you would tighten it up abit let the nerves settle and then try get a goal from a half chance before half time.

also another thing to note is that this just shows that we are in mid September and the players are yet to have a lot of games under there belt. this always seems to be the case with our league starting so late. players are unfit and have yet to hit the intensity that is needed.

6 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

PAO are in trouble no denying that, JVC is right OLY get into CL all these years and how far have they gotten? Also when they play away from Athens they almost certainly come away with an L (rare exception being game at Arsenal). PAO in CL have a far more successful history.

I think we need to out things into perspective...

there is the 'ancient era' - PAO making Euro Final

the 'old era' PAO making semis X2 and Oly making QF...

AND THE VERY MODERN ERA...THE LAST 5-8 years...where Oly made last 16 twice..

In the very modern era making the last 16 is a huge success..

the goal posts have changed and not too many teams outside the Elite will be making QF/SF..

If you compare the last 5 UCL campaigns of both you will find Oly have done better..

And Oly's last 5 would be in this decade where the bar has been raised much higher even compared to the era pre 2010

13 hours ago, Megas said:

this has got to be the worst I have ever seen olympiakaki play at karaiskaki for years. don't understand why the defence was pushing up so early leaving massive wholes in the back. even after the first goal you would think you would tighten it up abit let the nerves settle and then try get a goal from a half chance before half time.

also another thing to note is that this just shows that we are in mid September and the players are yet to have a lot of games under there belt. this always seems to be the case with our league starting so late. players are unfit and have yet to hit the intensity that is needed.

Spot on. We are getting killed on the counter attack yet as I saw in the game they pushed up too far. I still think this team is weak defensively which is why it wouldn't hurt to have more numbers even from midfield come back off the ball. I still don't get why we signed GIllet and Durdevic I have seen nothing from either of these players. Fourtonis should not be getting substituted off he typically plays decent and creates chances. Hansi made no tactical moves when we were getting killed out there and I am questioning his logic. We should play a 4-2-3-1 as we had very little wing play in this game and Seba can come on for Marin if he is off gives us some speed. I would even prefer Ben over Durdevic up front with Pardo as late sub. If we dont address how open we are at the back it will be tragic. Hansi has time to make our campaign respectable if he analyzes this game as he should. 

Edited by jason

1 hour ago, jason said:

Spot on. We are getting killed on the counter attack yet as I saw in the game they pushed up too far. I still think this team is weak defensively which is why it wouldn't hurt to have more numbers even from midfield come back off the ball. I still don't get why we signed GIllet and Durdevic I have seen nothing from either of these players. Fourtonis should not be getting substituted off he typically plays decent and creates chances. Hansi made no tactical moves when we were getting killed out there and I am questioning his logic. We should play a 4-2-3-1 as we had very little wing play in this game and Seba can come on for Marin if he is off gives us some speed. I would even prefer Ben over Durdevic up front with Pardo as late sub. If we dont address how open we are at the back it will be tragic. Hansi has time to make our campaign respectable if he analyzes this game as he should. 

Good points. Coaching was terrible. I hope they get it together since I support all Greek teams in Europe. It will be tough going to Juve after the way they were manhandled in Barca. Hopefully they can get a draw there but there were so many defensive breakdowns vs Sporting and that had to be cleaned up.