Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )

Greekaroos

Do not expect Wales to draw Georgia.

I ve said 100 times there is no point calculating this thing right now.

Everything will be decided in the last matchday at literally the last minute.

Our Group 2nd-3rd teams are decided tomorrow with Greece having the biggest chances of grabbing the 2nd spot and Bosnia a few less chances too. Cyprus is on the game too.

Cyprus is literally off the game for a play off spot,  but not for the 2nd spot hunt. They need toscore like 10+ goals in the last two games with the best defences in the group to be able to compete against the other 2nd spot teams so I don't think they ll play for their fewer qualification chances. I do believe they will stand down if things seem a bit tough for us but I don't understand what you expected them to say in their interviews? "Well yeah we don't want to leave Bosnian Federation go up front so we re gonna let Greece beat us." Of course they re gonna say they re comming down to play. It is a disgrace to FIFA (and probably punishable) and a disgrace to self to claim that you re gonna play a match and let your opponent beat you.

I don't worry about the Cyprus match but the Bosnia - Belgium one is terrifying me more.

The fact that today, however big teams like Germany and Brazil who already qualified came down with their starter lineups gives me hope that Belgium is gonna play for the win as well.

They are probably hunting ranking to secure top spot (currently Belgium no5 - gotta make sure they re at least top 7), so I assume they are not gonna give Bosnia a free pass, since its their last match until World Cup draw that's gonna matter much pointwise (I dont think beating Cyprus gives them that much of a points boost or winning a friendly).
Reminder that 2014 WC draw was made in December 6. Which proves that Belgium has to secure as many points as possible to be sure they re in top 7, as Poland France Switzerland and Chile are too close.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

another defencer for bosnia out - vrsajevic

rs georgia drawing wales is not impossible. they already did that in cardiff, why couldn't draw them at home without bale? last time wales barely escaped from moldova with two late goals. i find a draw at this game as a quite possible result. after did anyone expect luxembourg to draw france? 

we're in a better position than it looked already a month ago.

• Like it 1

10 minutes ago, Boxou said:

another defencer for bosnia out - vrsajevic

rs georgia drawing wales is not impossible. they already did that in cardiff, why couldn't draw them at home without bale? last time wales barely escaped from moldova with two late goals. i find a draw at this game as a quite possible result. after did anyone expect luxembourg to draw france? 

we're in a better position than it looked already a month ago.

bro if wales draw georgia ireland goes 2nd. its a lot messier than it looks. Thats why that Group is gonna be decided last matchday, when they play each other. 

Sames goes for all other Groups that are possibly going to save us from being the last play off contender. There are 2-3 teams too close to each other to be sure that a loss of a team affects as positively or negatively.

the luxembourg draw just makes it worse for us. more possible unbeatable opponents will end up in the seeded.

We got Italy/Portugal-Switzerland already. A third top tier team like France is gonna make it impossible.

Sweden/Netherlands are far more managable.

Denmark Scotland Slovakia North Ireland , Ireland Wales Ukraine Iceland are all equally managable with Iceland leaving me with doubts.

Turkey is something I am afraid although they ll probably be unseeded with us.

I can agree however that things are looking brighter for us right now as to 2nd play off contenders. The fact that Bosnia also need 3 points for their ranking as well makes me think they ll open up and you know how it ends up for them every time.

Georgia did draw whales in whales so I'm really hoping they can do it again. as I mentioned it's irrelevant if Ireland win tomorrow as those points wont count. The England group now gave us a huge chance as it took two teams out of the equation today as Slovakia and Slovenia cannot reach 19 points which would mean after we minus the 6 points they cannot reach 13 where we are hoping to be. Only Scotland is now relevant in that group and if the draw or lose on the road then they are likely the worst of the 2nd place teams. I do Agree with the above mention that the Bosnia game is really scaring the hell out of me as well and even though I don't want to believe it I can see Bosnia pulling it off but maybe that's just my nerves talking... If Whales doesn't get 3 points tomorrow we now are I great positon with two groups to possibly finish behind us.

in fact luxembourg draw is better. they won't end up as a last placed teams which means it will be belarus instead. that way sweden's 8 goals against belarus won't count, so netherland's 4+ (they play together tomorrow). so sweden at the moment are in +1 and have to play netherlands in the last matchday. quite possibly they're losing and they're sitting behind us in goal difference. and the most important part is that they will be seeded in the playoffs which means if they fail to advance there a spot is open up for a relatively easier opponent.

26 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Georgia did draw whales in whales so I'm really hoping they can do it again. as I mentioned it's irrelevant if Ireland win tomorrow as those points wont count. The England group now gave us a huge chance as it took two teams out of the equation today as Slovakia and Slovenia cannot reach 19 points which would mean after we minus the 6 points they cannot reach 13 where we are hoping to be. Only Scotland is now relevant in that group and if the draw or lose on the road then they are likely the worst of the 2nd place teams. I do Agree with the above mention that the Bosnia game is really scaring the hell out of me as well and even though I don't want to believe it I can see Bosnia pulling it off but maybe that's just my nerves talking... If Whales doesn't get 3 points tomorrow we now are I great positon with two groups to possibly finish behind us.

If Wales draw Georgia Ireland goes in front and these points will count for who ends 2nd in their group, but they wont count for who gets a playoff spot and who does not. But England Group came up indeed today but better not rush stuff.

I repeat if whales dont get 3 points tomorrow Ireland will since they re playing Moldova and Wales needs to win Ireland at home to be 2nd. If Wales however win tomorrow they might settle for the draw vs Ireland at home which might benefit us.

23 minutes ago, Boxou said:

in fact luxembourg draw is better. they won't end up as a last placed teams which means it will be belarus instead. that way sweden's 8 goals against belarus won't count, so netherland's 4+ (they play together tomorrow). so sweden at the moment are in +1 and have to play netherlands in the last matchday. quite possibly they're losing and they're sitting behind us in goal difference. and the most important part is that they will be seeded in the playoffs which means if they fail to advance there a spot is open up for a relatively easier opponent.

You really not trying to understand anything that's written here man? France can slip. 

We just need one team to go worse than us and htats probably gonna be Wales/Ireland or Slovakia.

France finishing 2nd really doesnt help us since 3 out of our 4 possible opponents will be :
France , Italy ,Portugal-Switzerland. Really ends our qualification realistically. France having secured 1st spot would be a bigger relief. It's another thing to have to "choose" among these 3 , or some more managable to pick from Northern Ireland,Wales,Denmark etc.

Well we got some good results today. Wales could slip up tomorrow. Bosnia are missing a lot of starters and Belgium will come out for the win as other posters have said as they will want to keep there ranking as high as possible. I hope Belgium come out flying and finish the game of by half time.

Belgium are missing a fair amount of key players including Lakaku.. Also Bosnia and Belgium in the last 7 games have 3 wins each and 1 draw.. also As bad as Bosnia defence is they still haven't allowed a goal against at home... Regardless of what happened the last time they played these teams play very close games aginast each other.. As Greek fans we will be on edge watching this game.. I'm very worried..

Edited by J1078

Greece need only give us two solid performances. We cannot control the other groups or other games. As well it will be interesting to see who will step up. This has been a up and down ride, but now is the time for the leaders of this team to lead. Whatever knowledge, planning, and strategy Skibbe has offered must be carried out.

I would like to see who is going to step up, and lead Greece onto battle.

Look at what Skibbe is thinking of starting against Cyprus.

Karnezis

Toro/Mainatis ----- Sokratis -------Man-------tzav

Zeca---------------------tziolis

mantalos-----------Fortounis---------------Staf/Laz

Mitro

Why the F*** is Tziolis in this line up?? Mantalos shouldn't be there either...

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/skibbe-thinking-of-starting-lazaros-against-cyprus

14 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

You really not trying to understand anything that's written here man? France can slip. 

We just need one team to go worse than us and htats probably gonna be Wales/Ireland or Slovakia.

France finishing 2nd really doesnt help us since 3 out of our 4 possible opponents will be :
France , Italy ,Portugal-Switzerland. Really ends our qualification realistically. France having secured 1st spot would be a bigger relief. It's another thing to have to "choose" among these 3 , or some more managable to pick from Northern Ireland,Wales,Denmark etc.

unlikely for france to slip. that's why their draw against luxembourg is a good result because it cancels sweden's 8 out of 18 goals and netherlands 4 out of 16 (So far). unless you think france can lose to bulgaria or belarus which i don't think so.

34 minutes ago, Boxou said:

unlikely for france to slip. that's why their draw against luxembourg is a good result because it cancels sweden's 8 out of 18 goals and netherlands 4 out of 16 (So far). unless you think france can lose to bulgaria or belarus which i don't think so.

Why, did you think that they could lose points to Luxemburg? Things happen.

29 minutes ago, jvc said:

Let's relax and put things into perspective....the team IMO did far better than I expected.  The coach actually got the better out of the team.  That being said,  Bosnia deserves second spot,  and outplayed Greece twice.   The key is,  Build off of this successful campaign.

Oh please Bosnia lost to Cyprus and got smoked by Belgium the first game while Greece should have beat Belgium the first game down a man and were unlucky not to get a draw against Belgium the second game.. not sure what you've been watching..

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, jvc said:

Let's relax and put things into perspective....the team IMO did far better than I expected.  The coach actually got the better out of the team.  That being said,  Bosnia deserves second spot,  and outplayed Greece twice.   The key is,  Build off of this successful campaign.

Same as @J1078 I completely disagree.

We did go far better than expected and that's why I don't understand why the hate against Skibbe. He took a pile of trash and made it a group with Good Atmosphere and good results.

However, after the matches have been played I fail to consider Bosnia doing as good as we did.

First things first, Bosnia got in the Group and on the marathon for the World Cup with a much differend Psychology. Their previous campaign was not the disaster ours was. They made it to the play offs for the Euro. We finished 6th with 6 points in 10 games. The fact that they ve been struggling till now and there is a chance that they miss the play offs from us is in my opinion a far bigger failure for their National Team than it's gonna be if WE miss the 2nd spot.

Moreover. I did not see Bosnia outplay us twice. I saw them outplay us once in Athens. The match in Bosnia seemed pretty balanced to me with both teams sparing a few good chances. We conceded 3 goals in 2 matches vs Belgium and we scored 2. We know how to defend against better oppposition and this is something Bosnia can definately not do. It is my humble opinion that Greece has better chances to qualify via play offs no matter the opponent , than Bosnia does. Both slim but just for the record. 

The fact that we played Belgium face-to-face in both occasions (considering that in Brussels we were a man down from 60, as good a team can be playing against a side like Belgium with 10) while the Bosnians literally surrendered the match from the minute 20 honestly does not show a big mentality team and for that lone reason and only I refuse to believe they deserve it more than anyone.

Another fact that I think we will both follow , a team with an offence like Ibisevic,  Dzeko , Pjanic , Lulic. Proper wingers in decent Leagues, Killer strikers and maybe the best box to box there is, they re scoring too few goals compared to our weak offensive level. They re currently at 19 goals and we re at 11. based on the remaining games I expect our goal difference to be close to equall. I see no better team in Bosnia in this campaign. I did see a better team in 2014 one.

• Like it 1

Bosnia got destroyed in Belgium 4 nil and it could have been worse. Greece fought toe to toe with Belgium and they were lucky to squeeze out a win vs us in Athens. We got fortunate in scoring late to draw Bosnia but the match in Zenica they had next to no offensive attack and Mandalos should have won it missing a sitter.

15 minutes ago, jvc said:

I'm watching.  Bosnia outplayed us in both games....we had no business getting a result at home.  I think we need to relax,  and realize we have come a long way from our last campaign.  I'm satisfied,  let's finish strong in these qualifiers,   and qualify for Europe.

Bro I dont get you.

If we can stand in a World Cup or not is a different thing to weather Bosnia deserves a place in the play offs more than us.

Both teams will be the weakest in the play offs if they make it. But get real. They outplayed us in Athens but that's just it. Zenica we had the only clear chance tet-a-tet to the Goalie. Even in Athens considering the way they scored, despite having a ton better chances than us, Goal Post - Karnezis Back - In , it doesnt really scream domination. 

Luckily or not the draw was what it was.

Considering the 2 contenders for 2nd spot I see no reason why we should not have it instead of them and vise versa.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic