Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )

Greekaroos

Yes that has been spoken about tirelessly in the other thread. We gotta just concentrate on beating Cyprus, hopefully by 2 or 3 goals and then everything with play itself out with regard to the other groups. 

Edited by Argy

34 minutes ago, trotsk13 said:

Just beat Cyprus. Can't worry about the other stuff. Think if the full team is healthy, Greece should be fine. By the way, what's the latest injury report?

karelis is expected to be back in a few weeks, other than that we don't have any other player injured at the moment. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

If Greece doesn't end up beating Cyprus it will be by 1 goal but I honestly see a draw here..

i'm sure there will be some talk between the federations, if the results go our way (at the moment they do) but also if belgium has managed to hold bosnia as their game will be finished once our game kicks off. maybe some kind of payment that federations usually do, remember croatia in 2011 awarding a "πριμ" to georgia if they were to beat us or in 2013 when we did the same thing to lithuania. qualification to the final stage means we're going to make tons of money as a bonus, it's a win-win situation even though i don't believe something like that is going to happen, they will simply let greece dominates the game by any means. i;m sure in case we score, cypriot fans will celebrate our goals. 

Cyprus has no hopes after their loss to Estonia..they will need a weird combination of results including Greece losing to Gibraltar and also them winnig in Brussels..Cypriot people in social media already say that we dont have to worry, they will gift us the victory. Although I believe it won't be a trashing but also not a close game. Something like 0-2. 

I predict greece will win if we have mitroglou and karelis back and full lineup. possibly by more than one goal like 2-3.

Karelis Mitroglou

Staf       Fortounis           Donis

Tachtsi Kpaps

Tzav   Sokratis Manolas Torosidis

Karnezis

with this lineup we'll win for sure.

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

then i'd bench karelis and sub him on later mayhaps.

do u know of greek league will be in? no idea I'd check futhead.

the game gets released sept 29th i believe so should be on futhead by then or sooner.

Yeah I checked it's not there it will probably be out 5 days before. The Greek League is not in it but AEK are back. 

On 9/5/2017 at 9:17 PM, Boxou said:

Cyprus has no hopes after their loss to Estonia..they will need a weird combination of results including Greece losing to Gibraltar and also them winnig in Brussels..Cypriot people in social media already say that we dont have to worry, they will gift us the victory. Although I believe it won't be a trashing but also not a close game. Something like 0-2. 

We never thrash teams anyway and 2-0 would be a godsend, a very good score even for our goal diff. I don't think Cyprus will give this match to us but they are more than beatable regardless. 

In a post-match interview Hazard said he hopes that Greece qualify and they will be playing for the win in Bosnia. I believe Belgium will take points out of this match. It's up to us to get the job done.

• Like it 1

Just an interesting fact. Of Cyprus 10 points in the Group 6 are from beating Gibraltar twice. at the 2nd placed teams ranking Cyprus would have 4 points and a GD of -7. Cyprus are mathematically out if they even draw us, and they are officially realistically out right now because no way they score 11 goals in their last two games.

The only reason I can find for Cyprus to fight for a win is to just claim higher elo spot(s). 

After their win vs Bosnia I expect them to be motivated to "PUSH FOR THE WIN*. And we both know that our team doesnt struggle vs open teams hoping for a win but from teams that park the bus more than us.

One more thing Id like to Mention:

Oldest players in the squad vs Belgium/Estonia: Karnezis/Torosidis/Tziolis at 32. We ve developped a pretty decent squad agewise.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

I agree with you Rockafeller, an open Cyprus vying for the will get beaten. Greece is superior on every square of the pitch so if they try to fight fire with fire I don't see how this game will even be close. 

• Like it 1

I find it interesting that many Greeks believe Belgium will not try v Bosnia...yet believe Cyprus will go all out to beat Greece..

The logic in this 'conspiracy theory' baffles me....

I doubt that EPO will approach CFA to roll over...Too risky if leaked...

You need to essentially have some players or coach on board..coach is a foreigner the risk is magnified... again way too risky..

Most likely scenario...Individual Cyprus players are fully aware of what is at stake..I guess their own 'patriotic duty' will prevail....they will chase balls at 80%...they will jump at 70% ..they will 'forget' to deploy the offside trap....

They will over hit a corner...they will go for the 30 yard shot..instead of playing a team mate in...

• Like it 1

are we for real now..? are we really concerned about cyprus' approach for the game..? like we couldn't beat them even if they had something to play for..now, that they don't have anything to play for it will be easier to grab a win..mitroglou will be back..so will karelis..if we play at 70% like we did against belgium we'll escape with a victory..

belgium is beating bosnia..

ireland are drawing wales..

and we're doing what we have to do vs cyprus and gibraltar..

17 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

Most likely scenario...Individual Cyprus players are fully aware of what is at stake..I guess their own 'patriotic duty' will prevail....they will chase balls at 80%...they will jump at 70% ..they will 'forget' to deploy the offside trap....

They will over hit a corner...they will go for the 30 yard shot..instead of playing a team mate in...

Sounds like Greece whenever they play a lesser opponent. 

• Lazarus changed the title to Cyprus vs. Greece ( 7 October 2017, GSP Stadium, Nicosia )
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic