Phantis Forums

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Dutch Eagle

55 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Now we all understand why we don't want Croatia in the playoffs. 

True Greece would have been better off vs Denmark. It all went down hill with that stupid fifa decision to suspend manolas for the first leg or else we would have been in the tie heading back to Greece. We may have well squeeked out with a win and on to the world cup. At least Greece scored vs the Croats and messi and Company got shut out and only created a couple good scoring chances.  I am glad to see them on the way back to Argentina.

I think the Swiss was the better team over all.

I'm not convinced about Brazil, nor Argentina. They'll need lots of luck or a different show to advance far (do they have it?)

Mexico, Croatia have been impressive, same with Russia, but Spain and Portugal (don't like), could show up big.

I know it's not traditional, but the VAR has changed important calls and altered results. This is huge. I'm on the side that it's mostly helpful.

I still think the "human element" should be the decider.  But, don't we want to have accurate calls as much as possible? The technology that shows whether the ball has crossed the goal line is very important and helpful, for example.

As for the managers calling for review, I'm OK with that too. Limit those calls to 2, let's say, like in US football, where there's VAR plus a team has 2 challenges.

The VAR--If applied carefully and fairly--can help fix some of the problems plaguing corrupt leagues like Greece's. It's shameful that a modern country, with a league of its own creation 100%, is totally f*ked up. Yes, it's shameful to call foreign refs when they can't find good domestic refs.  Much like the infighting Greeks who look to foreign powers to guide them. (and then they complain of foreign domination/interference.....)

8 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Poland bow out of the tournament with a dismal performance. What a joke that they are ranked 8th in the world due to them avoiding in playing friendly matches in the last few years.

That’s not true 04, they played more than us which doesn’t say much but Poland had played and won many games

10 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

I'm not sure where I stand on VAR....on the one hand I'd like to have fairly played matches and correct decisions by the refs....on the other you have all these players flopping around and making the signal for VAR appeals that kinda disgusts me....much like the begging for cards to be shown to opponents. Also there have been 16 penalties awarded already this WC compared to 13 in total in 2014. If FIFA allows the managers to challenge decisions made by the ref where does it end? 

Agreed.

It’s ok at times but when the players start acting and signaling for stuff it’s just s%$#! to watch 

So far, I like, Croatia, Spain, Uruguay (after beating Russia), Germany and England. I don't like Brazil, Portugal, though it may be my bias since I don't like those teams in general.  I'm watching France v. Denmark. Rooting for the latter.

What's your take so far?

Would love to see Argentina and Portugal come through their round of 16 clashes and face off in the quarter final.

Could you imagine? Social media would go into meltdown and who ever won would be declared the "goat" by all the footballing fan boys of the world 

I started watching the Germany - Korea game and it's been boring, but the Mexico - Sweden has been entertaining.  Sweden plays much better but Mexico threatens too. I think Sweded have a very good team. They qualified by knocking out big teams, including Italy. I'd like if Sweden moved on. Berg had a couple very good chances to score.

After watching many games, I don't think there's a most favorite team......

I'm looking forward to Serbia-Brazil (rooting for Serbia), and Uraguay-Portugal (rooting for U), and Spain - Russia (Spain of course)

Agree, Sweden v Mexico by far the better spectacle

As it stands Germany are going through, with both games locked at 0-0 at Half time. But this German team is looking a shadow of it's former self. Gonna need a big lift if they are to have another run at the title. 

I love it.  I watched the last few minutes of G v. K (after Sweden went up 3-0).  Interesting. Korea had its chances and even though their 2 goals were lucky, they deserved something out of this game.

Germany finished last in the group!  They didn't deserve to advance.  Sweden showed that it can be a big headache for any big (or bigger) team in this tourney.

Germany are done, they just had no clue and wrong selection of players by low. This is a wide open tournament, Greece would have gone far especially with the way we defend. It all went astray in the playoff in the first leg vs Croatia, especially thanks to FIFA wrongly suspending Manolas.

You really think Tziolis & Tachtsidis world have done well anchoring our play in this WC?? Central players with no speed out wide? 

Come on 04, I’d love to agree but reality check. Under Skibbe’s set up, our team wouldn’t have done well unless he put the right guys on. He couldn’t do that in key games.

I heard Germans missed many chances but what a stroke of WC magic from Korea.

I had a feeling Sweden would make it a tough night for Mexico but not by 3!

Serbia tries but can’t beat Brazil, Brazil-Mexico will be a very interesting game.

Take out Tziolis and we would be fine. My point is that we hung in with Belgium drawing them in Brussels after leading until the 90th minute and then losing a close match in Greece. Sweden who play a similar defensive style like Greece got top spot in group with Germany and Mexico both very good attacking sides. Sweden will face Switzerland a well organized side but they have a good chance of being in the quarters.

• Like it 1

Japan qualified to the next stage thanks to the fact their players had fewer yellow cards than the players from Senegal in the tournament. What a shitty way to get eliminated.