Phantis Forums

2016-2017 Europa League Games Topic

Tzatziki

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

It may be harder I agree...however although we havent produced them - we have had a lot of decent Greek defenders over the years - players that came wit potential and improved dramatically once they came to us . Avraam , Manolas , Siovas before his injury , Torosidis , Georgatos 

However how long has it been since we have had a Greek attacking midfielder who was a regular starter - or a key player for us. Stoltidis was more defensive or box to box - I guess the thought of the next Giannakopoulos excites me more lol .

Either way it looks bright. 

You are right about not producing players, the way our team has been for the last two decades at least, every match is a must win. We can not afford to bring up young talent and have them learn their craft in our matches because mistakes (that every young player makes no matter how talented) cost points, Olympiakos has fired managers that have won doubles. There is no margin for errors. We can buy young talent and offer a platform for them to shine if they prove worthy, but that is as good as it gets. As far as I know, if I am wrong please don't be shy, the only academy players to get real playing time are but a handful and they have not really carved out a place with us anyway (Giannou, Mendrinos, Fetfatzidi...as far as I know).

But personally that is not a big deal for me, it would be nice to bring up young talent through our system but who do these kids play against? What is the level of competition and intensity? A young player who has any skill and ambition should not be at our academy IMO, he should be playing professional soccer at any club where he can get consistent starts in a professional league for men, not 15 and 16 year olds. Better to play in the football league against real men that will be best for a young player who has hopes of making a solid career.

You could be right, it might indeed be a footballing culture thing. Back to our original chat though, would you be interested in an avatar bet? Something like whichever player gets the most games wins? I would take Retso and you take Manthatis? If you're interested we can discuss further by pm.

18 hours ago, Bananas said:

Great player.  Really enjoyed watching him play for Bolton, who actually had a pretty decent side.  Ivan Campo with his crazy hair and one of my favourite players to watch Jay Jay Okocha with his ridiculous skill.

me too! I have a signed autograph from him this big wig at espn that does basketball here in the states got it for me when Bolton played city when they just got samaras. samaras is another story of the talent but not the desire and effort to put in that extra time and hours! sickening

and stelios played with passion! for club and country, gotta love it!!! big heart

9 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

@Tzatziki mendrinos  the "aionio talento" lol - Your right the pressure to perform is very high - and we dont have the luxury - you have to be special to come from the academy and then make the squad and be a regular - - in recent memory - none have done that - many have been given chances but not lived up to it.

We are better off getting 21-22 yr olds from other teams who have 1 or 2 full seasons under their belt  - Torosidis for example came from Xanthi at 23 and owned the RB position from day one - he was a relative unknown - hadnt even played for Greece yet - but in a team surrounded by better players he exploded. 

I think that we have a footballing culture problem where our players get lazy once they feel they have "made it " In Greece you can have a decent life if you earn 50 or 60 k especially as an 19 yr old - so these kids once they break through and become pro's sign a half decent contract if they are any good - they then I think lose some ambition - subconsciously - you can play in Greece make  100,120k and live a great live - or you bust your ass go abroad - for similar money - and you might fail. at least in greece your at home you can cruise along and still earn a decent living. Especially playing for Olympiacos you earn say 80 or 90 k and play maybe 5 games a year and maybe 2 or 3 off the bench at most ....Vlachodimos the Greek Ronaldo signed a 5 yr contract for 120.000 k a year with us - he admitted himself he hates training - and when he was with us - it was the reason we shipped him off on loan and why he got no game time. his career went no where. 

Another example - Just after Euro 2012 - Xolebas - returned to training early and was training  for about 2 weeks before the other Greek NT players were due back - when quizzed he said that we will have a new coach and he wants to be fit and ready to impress him from the beginning so he doesnt lose his spot on the team of so the manager doesnt feel he needs to bring someone in. Compare that to Fetfatzidis - who was dumped in the second have of the season and barely played by Valverde - after being given many many chances at the start of the year...because he was not training well - and was struggling tactically - what was he doing while Xolebas was teainign so he could be almost match frit from the first day ?? he was taking pics with the other Greek players who were relaxing on a beach somewhere...

That sums it all up for me 

spot on on the desire and the passion! this also applies with work and in life, you get what you put in!

• 2 weeks later...

He's been at the club for about 5 minutes, I would give him the a year and a half before deciding personally. Any coach needs time to make a team his own. Even world class calibre coaches don't always have teams performing super well until their second season. We will never build a serious team by having a new coach every few months.

The way Oly played against young boys was pathetic. Other that good free kick not much to say and our defense is the softest I have ever seen... This team needs and injection of life whether in real "BAM" signing which wont happen with current state or some talent coming up from the ranks. Its true Greek soccer jornaqlists dont ask technical soccer questions to point out incompetence they just fluff over everything... 

The issue is we have been garbage in Europe this season...

apart from the home loss to APOEL when we should have scored 6...and glimpses in the away game at Astana..

I think even the home 4-1 v Astana was an odd game...the result had more to do with Astana's naive tactics..than our great play..

The problem for me is not Bento...sure Chori would be handy at times..but the issue is the back 5 (including Leali and an out of position Retsos) are abysmal.....

And Bento does not have the players to change that.....when you have a back 5 that allows the opposition forwards to get behind them so easily and full backs who do not overlap with purpose you are going to struggle against any opposition..

Changing 3 coaches before the season kicks off, and neglecting to fix a suspect defensive core is why we are where we are now. Honestly I would say we have overachieved all things considered. Let the coach work, and fix that back line. Results and good performances will come next year, this year is a wash.

This defence can lose to teams like beer sheeva and atromitos at any moment, we are lucky to have 2-3 players that can step up and win games for us. That is why I say we have overachieved for the poor planning and start we had this season.

well..then that proves that the defence is the major issue...which is the point I made in the original post..

It's unacceptable that the management (3 managers and board) did not see this in July..

Atromitos, Beer Sheeva, Astana, Young Boys, Iraklis, Larissa,Aruca  have all caused us to look ordinary and at times embarrassed us.. -   This is unacceptable ....

• Like it 1

It's been an issue for a few seasons now. Silva actually had the team as a whole defending pretty well last year, especially in some CL matches, and I don't think Botia and Da Costa are bad defenders, but our defence has more holes in it that one of JVC's conspiracy plots.

Αναλυτικά η αποστολή: Ανδρούτσος, Μπουχαλάκης, Καμπιάσο, Χουτεσιώτης, Ντα Κόστα, Ντε Λα Μπέγια, Ντομίνγκες, Ελιουνούσι, Φιγκέιρας, Φορτούνης, Ιντέγε, Λεάλι, Μανθάτης, Μάρτινς, Νικολάου, Ρομαό, Σεμπά, Σκαφίδας, Τσιμίκας, Βιάνα.