Phantis Forums

SL - R24: PAO - OSFP • Mar. 19, 2017

athinaios

Well, on Sunday, 19 March 2017, PAO is hosting Olympiacos. We need the win more than they do. Gavroi aren't going to lose the title, but hopefully they'll lose this game. Not only we need the points more that they do to place in the playoffs, but any game between these two teams is a huge one given the history of the two biggest soccer clubs in Greece.

This season is far from being successful for us, but we still have some goals to meet.  Gavroi have one of the worst teams in many years, so PAO could win this one if we don't concede a goal early.

With our fans there, I think the team will respond. By the way, I'm opposed to moving to OAKA, because that's not a proper soccer home. The pitch is too far away from the fans, whereas Leoforos has that advantage. Some of the better Euro stadia have the fans close to the action on the field.

• Like it 1

Great long shot (free kick) from Eboku, good save to corner by Kapino.

Impressive performance so far by PAO. They win most balls and they are the more superior team on the pitch in the first half.

• Like it 1

29 minutes ago, jvc said:

I'm happy we beat the gavs....that being said,  this Olympiakos squad is the worst since their dark days in the 80s....Marinakis has depleted the squad!   At the end of the day when you sell more than what you bring in,  the level drops....Marinakis is pocketing the cash!   Olympiakos has become a regular SUPA league team mow!

Spot on

as far as today went the panionios loss at paok sucked the life out of the title race, would have been a far more intriguing derby if that result went the other way.

46 minutes ago, jvc said:

I'm happy we beat the gavs....that being said,  this Olympiakos squad is the worst since their dark days in the 80s....Marinakis has depleted the squad!   At the end of the day when you sell more than what you bring in,  the level drops....Marinakis is pocketing the cash!   Olympiakos has become a regular SUPA league team mow!

nah jvc the teams in the 80s would thump this side this is nearly the worse olympiakos side in the last 35 years or so. Marinakis is gonna be in for a shock olympiakos fans are waking up either u bring in quality players or they will drive u out. I wanted panionios too win the league maybe then fat boy might get a reality check

That shows you how important the games against the lesser teams are. PAO has a history of dropping too many points to such teams.  This title is not won by Oly but lost by the other top 5 teams this year. Strama did not prepare the team well for this season. Wasted so much money too.

Anyway, this win is important because of the way it was achieved. Gavroi had no real chance to score; I think they had 1 "on target" (not really though) shot at the 14'. We could draw them in the cup or meet in the final, so our team showed that they can outplay them. Kudos to Ouzounidis too.

• Lazarus changed the title to SL - R24: PAO - OSFP • Mar. 19, 2017
2 hours ago, jvc said:

I wouldn't be pronouncing the demise of Olympiakos just yet.  They sold Milivojevic and Ideye for 24 million euros.  If they spend even half that on transfers, they will have spent more than PAO, AEK and PAOK combined.

In their current state Olympiakos would not be a guarantee to win the league but I doubt they will look the same next season.

looked back the old squad

they had mitroglou, manolas, samaris, maniatis, avraam paps

+ djebour, roberto, dominguez, ibagaza

they reason why they were so good was because of GREEK players actually it seems. I think they're not as good now because they're 80% foreign. Relying on buying power vs. growing talent in the Greek league, growing talent seems to still be better.

even when PAO was really good we had a lot of greek talent eg) karagounis, katsouranis, ninis, salpigidis, seitaridis, vyntra in 2010.