Phantis Forums

Life of Hellenes Abroad

When I meet other Greeks or diaspora born and raised or living abroad, I am always interested to hear what their life and customs are like. I would very much like to hear a few things about yourselves and how life may differ depending on which part of the world you live in. Look at my example below and, if you like, use the same template. Please also feel free to add something.

Background: One parent Greek the other English, born and raised in England

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek?: Yes

Education: English school with Greek school every Saturday up until the age of 11, university in England

Friend groups: A mixture of friends from all over the world, we have family friends that are also of a Greek and English mix, a few Greek friends in Greece

Greek influence in daily life: Music, a film every now and again, news and football

The last time you went to Greece: Summer 2016

• Like it 2

Great 'get to know you' topic!  Especially interested in the customs lifestyle to see what is brought over in terms of customs and how things evolve in a different social setting.

Here are my details (following your template)

Background: Both parents Greek. One set of grandparents from Asia Minor. Born in Greece, raised in Australia, back to Greece. Moved to the USA.

Proficient both in Greek and English.

Education: Grade school: Australia. High School Greece. College: Greece. Postgraduate: USA

Friend groups: Keeping in touch with friends in Greece.  International circle of friends in US.

Greek influence in daily life: Reading daily news online and enjoy cooking traditional Greek food at home (νάσαι καλά Βέφα!).

Last time in Greece: Spring 2014

Background: Both parents born to Greek Australian immigrants, On my dads side they are both Pontic Greeks from Kouzani, on my Mums side her dad was from Florina, Macedonia. Her mum was originally from Constantinopoli and moved to a village right outside Thessaloniki.

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek?: Yes, my grandparents did. I also went to Greek school as a kid. 

Education: Went to school in Australia and then after high school, TAFE (college) then Microsoft and Apple certifications (i got into IT)

Friend groups: Since i grew up in Australia most of my friends are from the Wollongong area. I have Greek, FYROM, Spanish, Chilean and almost every other nationality of friends in my circle. I now live in USA (married an American) and so i have some friends here in USA as well.

Greek influence in daily life: My Greek heritage influences almost everything about me.

Last time in Greece: 2006

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrMarouli

Hi all, im new to the forum : )

Background: Both parents born to greek migrants. Born in Australia

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek?: Yes, learnt from Church classes and family speaking

Education: Australian School (ongoing)

Friend groups: Mixture of all cultures. Large ethnic majority at my school so lots of greek friends, but a mixed bag. 

Greek influence in daily life: Music, Football and Filoksenia

The last time you went to Greece: Never been )':

Guest MrMarouli
1 minute ago, Athens4 said:

Are you planning on going any time soon?

Hopefully, just gotta get the money. I'd love to talk to my family face to face so its high on the to-do list. 

Background: Both parents from Peloponnese, raised mostly in Canada.

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek?: Yes

Education: Completed undergrad studies, Greek High School some certifications, first aid training...

Friend groups: Friends of various creeds, a few Greeks.

Greek influence in daily life: Food, family, cultural practices, news.

The last time you went to Greece: November 2016.

Fave part of Greece to visit: Lefkada

Fave Greek Singer(s): Mazonaki, Mitropanos

Fave Greek food(s): Paidakia, Avgolemono, anything grilled on charcoal topped with lemon, herbs and salt.

Thanks for sharing your background guys, it has been very interesting so far. I'm also surprised to see a couple of Greek-Australians make the move to the US.

Here is the template again for anybody else who wants to post:

Background

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek?

Education

Friend groups

Greek influence in daily life

Other half (wife/girlfriend - did you stay Greek or go abroad?)

Favourite part of Greece

The last time you went to Greece

Edited by Athens4
-

Background: Both parents born in Greece. I was born and raised in NY.

Did your parent(s) teach you Greek/Do you speak Greek? Went to Greek school till 8th grade. Yes.

Education: Masters in Accounting/CPA

Friend groups: Mixed but do hang out with a lot of  Greek

Greek influence in daily life: Follow Greek Sports, get my daily frappe from a greek café, drop off my son at greek school every morning

Other half (wife/girlfriend - did you stay Greek or go abroad?): Italian (very similar to us)

Favourite part of Greece: All of it is great, love Santorini, Kalamata is where the family is. Really cool place...

The last time you went to Greece: Try to go every other year, summer of 2015.

Edited by Brklyngrk

On 3/29/2017 at 0:57 PM, tantra129 said:

i love athens in the winter, especially when itilbas  shows up for coffee @lykavitos .

You have met itilbas for coffee?? That must have been the dogs' bollocks.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, tantra129 said:

Ha!  I'm not sure whether to be honored or offended.  Some scotch, a cigar and some meditation in the igloo required.

• Like it 1