Phantis Forums

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

Taxi was a beast today.  He should be nailed on to the endekada my goodness.

Skibbe definitely got the right team today. 

My criticism of him is a couple of guys on yellows, should have subbed sooner they were always likely to foul again.  That cost us the win we had them pretty much completely contained.  Looked toothless without KDB and Haz. Was not impressed by them.

Should have won the game actually.  Great strike by Mitroglou and they barely had any real chances at home.  Either very poor or well contained.  

Seriously.  Kapino made a couple saves.  That was it, D and defensive D for me was very good considering.  Well done Ellathara, criminal not to come away with the 3 points.  Should have really anticipated that fault to Skibbe. 

• Like it 1

1 minute ago, HellasLEAF said:

Taxi was a beast today.  He should be nailed on to the endekada my goodness.

Skibbe definitely got the right team today. 

My criticism of him is a couple of guys on yellows, should have subbed sooner they were always likely to foul again.  That cost us the win we had them pretty much completely contained.  Looked toothless without KDB and Haz. Was not impressed by them.

Should have won the game actually.  Great strike by Mitroglou and they barely had any real chances at home.  Either very poor or well contained.  

Seriously.  Kapino made a couple saves.  That was it, D and defensive D for me was very good considering.  Well done Ellathara, criminal not to come away with the 3 points.  Should have really anticipated that fault to Skibbe. 

You can't sub off a player who seems to have read the opponent and neutrilizied him completely.

Our players were in the game for good. Belgians only looked better in the late minutes when they were pushing for a goal.

4 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

Greece have to come into the Bosnia-Herzegovina match with the mindset of winning. That would put them in better position for qualification. Draw would be OK, but not good in the long run. 

This will be our toughest match of the season.  And very key losses from our team for me important players, advantage a bit to Bosnia playing at home in hostile atmosphere.  In truth Greece will be mild mannered compared imo but we'll see. 

Regardless.  Even if we lose that one.  Keep it a close score and realistically will be a coin flip from there who qualifies.  We can beat Belgium at home I am not impressed by them. 

8 hours ago, tantra129 said:

i think the ref was ok too

he did give harsh yellows but he was consistent 

Please.

This was the best, most even ref I have ever seen.

This guy was Greek today.  Seriously.  Bailed us out time and again.  

Tzavellas, Tachtsidis, Samaris, K Paps and Karellis are all out.....

I was impressed how we were playing defensively, the boys were intercepting passes, pressing the whole game, which is not easy considering they were chasing the ball ....At the end, they played a great game considering the circumstances, Greece looks like a team again, soooo much better than the euro qualifiers.....what Greece lacks is an outlet for the counter, a burner who can really get past the defense...Imagine an Aubameyang on this team (granted there is only a handful of them in this world..)

Mitro looked good, he had one chance and he made it, the way he timed his run was great, he got past his man and took a great shot to get past the gk...

Considering the fact we'll have no pure midfielders at the next game, if I were Skibbe I would probably start Stafylidis along with Siopis or Maniatis. Not sure if starting Siopis is the right approach though. Then Oikonomou to replace Tzavellas, and most likely Ganniotas (I'd prefer Manthatis of Olympiacos to be honest) as a winger (since Kolasinac will be also out for Bosnia) instead ot Stafylidis who is going to be utilized as a DMF. Zeca was negative in these 10 minutes he played yesterday, he made a couple of mistakes too. Tziolis is tremendously slow in order to be considered as an option for such a game. 

Ideal squad/approach

Kapino

Torosidis / Manolas / Sokratis / Oikonomou

Stafylidis / Siopis or Maniatis

Mantalos / Fortounis / Ganniotas

Mitroglou 

Edited by Boxou
  • Like it 1

I don't really want to see Oikonomou start I think he makes big mistakes on basic plays. You can pretty much bet Zeca will get the start especially with Samaris out. Gionnatos needs to be in the line up as his speed and hustle will give Bosnia defenders a hard time which will free up space for Mitro. On another not this is the first time in two years where I can see this team looked like a solid team again it was great to see again. This also just proves that Greece needs to be a team that focuses on defence first with every team and then attack on the counter, When Greece try to open it up and play all out offence even the weaker teams like Estonia for example expose us. If we played this style of Soccer from the beginning where we concentrate on defense first I don't believe we would have had such a bad two years as we tried and changed our style which doesn't suit our team.

• Like it 1

Seems weird that you'd start - or even play - Oikonomou there when Stafylidis is a left back and would be the logical choice there. If Skibbe called up - and played - any wingers at all, that's where he would have been in this match.

There is no reason to have stafylidis play cm with tzavellas being out. He played really well minus 1 slip which could happen to anyone. 

..............karnezis

toro..manolas..sokratis..stafylidis...

.......maniatis...zeca

mantalos..fortounis..giannotas

.........mitroglou

i think this would be a no brainer to use. 

• Like it 1

Getting 1-1 tie today was a great achievement against a much stronger team like Belgium. I think the new coach has the same recipe as Otto, play strong defense, frustrate the opponents, never mind about playing attractive football, and score on counter-attacks. It won't be pretty but given the talent available, Greece can achieve good things in football if they have discipline and a good plan. [things that lack in the greater society]

• Like it 2

On 3/26/2017 at 0:07 AM, HellasLEAF said:

This will be our toughest match of the season.  And very key losses from our team for me important players, advantage a bit to Bosnia playing at home in hostile atmosphere.  In truth Greece will be mild mannered compared imo but we'll see. 

Regardless.  Even if we lose that one.  Keep it a close score and realistically will be a coin flip from there who qualifies.  We can beat Belgium at home I am not impressed by them. 

Greece cannot afford to lose ONE match, avoid losing at all cost. Bosnia isn't as good as Belgium. Greece can win in Zenica and put Bosnia out of commission. For the home game against Belgium, you better pray Hazard and De Bruyne don't play again, they are speedy and will wear out Manolas and Sokratis stride for stride. 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:01 AM, Rockafeller Skank said:

qualifying needs some luck from the drawing pot. If we get a Spain/Italy Netherlands/Sweden Switzerand/Portugal draw its gonna be hard.

LOL!!!! Netherlands suck, they are like Greece during EURO 2016 qualifying. 

our most likely chance is if we beat/tie Bosnia and lose to Belgium but win the playoff spot.

what happens between Belgium/Greece/Bosnia is going to be vital cause I don't think any team is gunna drop points to Cyprus/Estonia/Gilbratar this campaign.

the 2nd place teams are all pretty beatable for us. And also if we have high points (which we currently do it will be someone beatable)

for example as it stood before the game our opposition is northern ireland which we struggled with last campaign but we should really be able to take them or is it randomized?

last world cup I think it came down to fifa draw/seeding so that's trouble.

we didn't get the red and held on against belgium, beat bosnia and tie belgium and win everything else to capture 1st that would of been best case scenario.

Edited by georgelaz

The point against Belgium has given the power back to Greece for 2nd spot (possibly 1st).

Bosnia 'MUST' beat us if they wish to advance, otherwise they will have to rely on us dropping points elsewhere. They'll come out and attack so team selection is tricky as Skibbe has to decide whether he wants to play on the counter, or treat the game as you usually would, needing to win.

Personally, I feel we should go out play somewhat conservative when required, but with a plan to win (NOT DRAW). 

If we can beat Bosnia, then their fixture against Belgium will literally become a must win (otherwise no chance for WC18)... If they can then snatch a point of Belgium it may just open a door for us to look for auto qualification.

• Like it 2

Sokratis post match interview. he notes that the Greeks need to show love for their players and the reported reminded him that 2500 Greeks came to see him. (They were likely from the diaspora though)

it was a team effort. kapino double save on the lukaku header preserved the draw.

tachtsidis in midfield is nice. being able to win headers in the midfield is so valuable + pinpoint passes. Samaris with the defensive heavy lifting.

weakest link was probably fortounis he was pretty invisible and isn't having the best season compared to last year.