Phantis Forums

Belgium vs Greece (25 March 2017- King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

Fortounis, Mitro and the likes of  Mantalos along with GG are going to ask questions of the Belgium structure. Don't quite write us off at this point. The ball hasn't been kicked yet boys.

Look for Manolas Sokratis and Toro to lift for this one. The match is now sold out in Belgium. The Pirates can pull a crowd.

Edited by ausgreek

8 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

Belgium's goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is among the top in the world, their defense is just as strong as ours. Greece will have a hard time keeping possession of the ball and may not get many chances to score. Our only hope is 0-0. 

To be fair, Sokratis and Manolas are better than anything they have. Killer that we are missing KPap on DM.  But, yes, you are right, overall, their defense is just as strong. Everywhere else on the pitch, they dominate. Even at the striker position, regardless of Mitroglou's unbelievable form, they have so much skill and depth. 

Edited by Argy

On 15/03/2017 at 6:48 AM, Nikod said:

From this team given what we know of Skibbe, one would expect Glykos/Kapino; Torosidis, Sokratis, Manolas, Tzavellas; Samaris, Maniatis; Mantalos, Fortounis, Stafylidis; Mitroglou. 

Heaven help us. De Bruyne alone will destroy our fullbacks. And even Sokratis/Manolas may struggle to contain a beast like Lukaku if the midfield doesn't shield them properly. Which they never do.

That is why the absence of KPap on DM is monumental. 

Edited by Argy

His form won't count for much if he's not fed. We'll see what happens. Even if we lose, hopefully we keep it close. Goal differential may count for something when all is said and done.

That's very true. Bosnia with thrash Gibraltar greater than our relatively tame 4-1 win. We have +4 goal dif on BH right now. We need to keep the score within 3 goals if we don't wanna fall too behind going into Sarajevo. 

Edited by Argy

^^ It isnt guaranteed that bosnia will crush Gibraltar, especially because they have a lot of players, around 5 including Dzeko, that are suspended for that match.  

Why did Skibbe call up 6-7 CDMs??!!  He probably should have called up Siovas, Giakoumakis, and Mystakidis 

The injuries to Karelis, Kolovos,and Karnezis, and the suspension of KPaps, really hurts our already slim chances of getting a result in Belgium.  hopefully the boys step it up and make us proud on Greek independence day.  I am not asking for a result, just a good performance.      

Carrasco is miles away from Hazard's level. Maybe that gives 1 less problem for our defence. Let's see. I doubt Chelsea will risk their star player for a qualifier with no meaning for Belgium. (Mathematically there is a meaning obviously, but literally c'mon, no team can even try to take 1st spot from them.)

My 2c.

The only small chance we may have will be to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible. Maybe slow the play and disrupt their rhythm. If we try to compete at their level we will lose. I can't imagine Scibbe not starting with 5 at the back and 2-3 DMs. Only player in front of the ball will be Mitroglou. Keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible and hope we get a set play and convert. If we try to keep pace with them, with the squad we have, they will run all over us. I can see us losing big. They can have all the possession but we can slow it down, keep our shape and hope it frustrates them and forces them into an error or a loss of concentration.

• Like it 1

So here is the situation guys : 

If Greece wins, they will be in first place
If Greece draws, they will remain in second place 
If Greece loses, they will be tied with Bosnia-Herzegovina for second place. 

Goal difference will be determined who is second place 

The "make it, break it" match won't be this one in Belgium, but the one in Bosnia will be to determine if Greece can qualify at least for the playoffs. 

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Like it 1

Kapinos

Torosidis - Manolas - Sokratis - Tzavellas

Samaris - Zeca - ???

Fortounis -  Mantalos

Mitroglou

I guess Skibbman will go for 4-3-2-1 hoping a draw happens.

Vermaelen playing starter and giving in to Mitroglou's scary face ends up with us winning a penalty in 89 minute.

Fortounis scores and a lion roar gets heard from whole Greece.

We did it boys. we scored. 

BELGIUM - GREECE FT: 12-1

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

As the Papa was leaving after he left a blessing in the house, and splashed me with Holy water, he indicated the Greeks will draw with Belgium. He predicted Fortounis will be a handful. Then he told me to be good.

Everyone knows Staf has that position sewn up Rocka!

Edited by ausgreek

1 minute ago, ausgreek said:

As the Papa was leaving after he left a blessing in the house, and splashed me with Holy water, he indicated the Greeks will draw with Belgium. He predicted Fortounis will be a handful. Then he told me to be good.

Everyone knows Staf has that position sewn up Rocka!

My theory is that playing 3 holding midfielders won't allow us to get wingers. So Staf DM I highly doubt it. He was used there as a panic add but now Zeca is there. Since Skibbe wanted him so much I doubt we won't see him play or even Start.

Tzavellas LB won a bonus with his score last game since he literally saved Skibbe and whole Greece from this campaign ending early, so I guess noone can take his spot.

superleague defense is good tho dude, one of the main reasons berbatov struggled. greek league is slow and strong that's why pacey attackers to do well eg) Cisse.

and spahic is pretty damn good cb. we're probably not gunna win this one guys, i'm still gunna watch and break my heart tho lol

would it be smart to just park the bus? eg) field manolas, sokratis, oikonomou, siovas, tzavellas, staf, samaris, moras, maniatis a paps.

like 3 cb's and a double 3 cb shield. the ultimate anti football and just fortounis and mitroglou up top on the odd chance we get a lucky chance.

Edited by georgelaz

I'm of the philosophy that the best defence is a good offence, but that all depends on the weapons we have, and they are scarce. If we had the courage to press Belgium in order to keep them honest, we would have a chance. Giving a team like Belgium 75% possession hoping that we can hold them off is highly unlikely and we would need much luck (i.e. Belgians to miss sitters, posts, crossbars) in order to get a result. How can we go in resting on that? 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 2

6 hours ago, georgelaz said:

yeah balance is key. much like how we parked the bus with argentina... it took them 80 minutes but finally cracked it.

also missed handball in the box in favor of us, and sokratis took it to messi. smacking him around and fouling him to get into his head. that was key, but we ended up short

• Like it 1

we have no chance against belgium if we play to much attacking. we should park the bus and concede as little goals as we can. we saw what happened against the other teams , imagine if we play the same against belgium , they will counter us and probably will score 5 or 6 goals if we dont watch out. this is what i would play. i would start maniatis over tachtsidis because he is faster and i dont know zeka.

------------------------kapino--------------------------
torosidis------manolas-----sokratis------tzavellas
-----------maniatis----samaris----siopis------------
-----------fortounis-----------------stafylidis---------
------------------------mitroglou-----------------------

hazard is out for sure now with a calf injury.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4330960/Chelsea-star-Eden-Hazard-pulls-Belgium-squad.html

unbelievable that he didnt called up kostas lamprou , siovas and retsos but instead , zeka , oikonomou.

Edited by Nikitas