Phantis Forums

EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

Blackhawk

The team just fell apart after the first goal. They did not believe in themselves. 

Like Bananas said, Schalke played a low key game and just capitalized on the three mistakes by our goalie and defense.

We need to go to Germany, field a team using our bench and change our focus on SL and the cup.

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

Everything's been touched on, Schalke relied on punishing our mistakes. their performance was nothing flash, ours (before the second goal) was decent enough to maybe nab a result, but we come away with a hefty loss. That's football sometimes.

Glykos is the culprit for me. The first goal was bad enough (indeed the defenders reacted late) but why is he pushing the ball back into the box?

The second goal everybody just watched, again Glykos watched the ball go into the net (literally). The third goal, I don't even know what to say. I am still a bit confused as to what happened. He tried punching it out but instead gifted it to Huntelaar?

Awful game by most people. The one time we need the team to show up and they are invisible.

A few seasons back when these two met, it was much, much closer.

Today paok looked defeated no matter how well they played. The difference in quality is all too obvious. That's what happens when you sell your best players.

People laugh at this all the time but greek football and cypriot football need to merge to see improvements. 

My opinion and dont see any negatives. 

Would rather play 2 games a year versus apoel and anorthosis instead of levadiakos and veria! 

6 hours ago, val said:

A few seasons back when these two met, it was much, much closer.

Today paok looked defeated no matter how well they played. The difference in quality is all too obvious. That's what happens when you sell your best players.

This PAOK team is considerably better than that one. Unless you think a midfield duo of Katsouranis and Tziolis is an unmatched dynamo of power?

Disappointing result. Given the form we have been i think we were all expecting us to put up a fight and maybe come away with a draw. Once we started so brightly, we all thought it was possible to even sneak away with a win.

Just one of those days, we did not deserve to loss 3-0. I think a 0-1 loss would have been the fair result, as other have said, Schalke was nothing special. A couple of half chances in those first 20mins (Mysta's through ball to Leovac that Leovac couldn't control, another shooting opportunity Leovac had after a mysta pass again) and of course Matos chance. 

The reason why i feel most let down is that I think this is one of the only games where Ivic may have got it wrong. I completely understand him playing a 3-5-2 and trying to take a 0-0 to Germany, infact I advocated the importance of a clean sheet before the game. But we have played 3-5-2 against weaker teams and on heavy pitches (Cup vs panotoliko and vs pas away) this was a different beast all together. Ok so he starts with a 3-5-2 thats fine. You go one down from a mixture of maybe the keeper should have done a bit better/defence slow to react/unlucky. At the point you need to score, you need to go to Germany with a 1-1 at least. A change in formation should have happened at half time. 

I think another mistake was not starting pedro henrique a few of us on here had discussed that he could be the key, quick, good dribbler someone who we really could have used... It's all good and well to say this now, who knows maybe switching to a 4-3-3 wouldn't have helped, but had we changed it up and still lost 3-0, I know I would feel better knowing we threw the kitchen sink at them and did all we could to get the tie back in our favour. Rather than a lacklusture 2nd half where the conceding of goals felt inevitable. 

Bad day we move on, important we bounce back with a good win against Veria because I have seen this show too many times before over the last 3-4 years, where one bad loss sends our season into a downward spiral and its the beginning of the end of our coach. I don't think that will happen this time around but we must win our next 2 league games no questions asked.

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 2

Good post. I think going into a home game against a very strong opponent hoping for a 0-0 draw is always predestined to fail. It's the wrong mentality. Let's keep in mind that a lot of our players - especially our defenders - have also been playing essentially nonstop. Our depth there is much thinner than in midfield and up top (even when injuries aren't an issue), and fatigue is becoming a problem.

I think Ivic's conservative approach let us down this time, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt - I get why he chose his formation as he did, and frankly doing such a thing against another team that plays a 3-5-2 is logical as it ensures coverage of both of their forwards.

As for Henrique - I think he should have played, but the fact that he had only played with the team like three or four times before that made the move harder in Ivic's mind. Although that mentality doesn't excuse why Warda was then thrown in there...

I thought Mistakidis, at least, was wonderful. The guy might not have the dribbling abilities of Pelkas, but holy s%$#! can he move through defenders. If he doesn't get a call-up after this game, then Skibbe truly has lost his marbles.

I also thought Leovac and Cimirot were good as well, although Cimirot was overwhelmed with their midfield. Probably had the toughest job on the pitch.

• Like it 1

Good points pash and paokarag4. I also believe Ivic should have changed the formation at half time. It probably would have not made that much difference though as Schalke was a much superior team compared to PAOK. I also think Ivic should have kept Mysta and Biseswar in  the game. He should have benched one of the 3 CBs to put Henrique in  the game. Also Klaus should have been subbed at halftime as well. 

I would say Mysta was the MVP for us, and I hope that Skibbe keeps his dirty little hands of the player. We don't need the NT corruption at PAOK.

23 hours ago, pash said:

This PAOK team is considerably better than that one. Unless you think a midfield duo of Katsouranis and Tziolis is an unmatched dynamo of power?

How can you say that after watching the game? Schalke were untroubled, quite the opposite last time around.

16 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

I would say Mysta was the MVP for us, and I hope that Skibbe keeps his dirty little hands of the player. We don't need the NT corruption at PAOK.

Let's be honest. It is every player's objective to make the national team.

3 hours ago, val said:

How can you say that after watching the game? Schalke were untroubled, quite the opposite last time around.

Just the roll of the dice I believe.  Schalke didn't really create much in the first half and got a relatively cheap goal.  To be fair though, they always looked threatening ie. had that look of being able to split the defence at any time and that's because, simply, they're just a much stronger team.  The second goal was very weak defending.  I mean free header when the defenders in the box have time to see a dribble and cross coming their way ?  At least make the guy work for it.  At that point, it was over.

Even in the Schalke game a few years back we only had them on the ropes for about 20 or 25 minutes and that's after they got a red card.  Not the same I agree but I wouldn't say that PAOK team is better than this one.  One thing is for sure, on both occasions we never really (and I mean really) looked like progressing.  Let's be honest.

On the past three occasions where we have played CL qualifying we should have progressed. Ajax back in 2010 (we missed more chances than some teams have in a whole season), Schalke 2013 (no fans) and Ajax again last summer (again, missed the unmissable).

This isn't quite the same now with Schalke this year. As people have already mentioned we played well in the first twenty minutes then dropped.

21 minutes ago, val said:

@Bananas, you came close to knocking them out

Yeah we did but it's not as if we didn't get outplayed 3 years ago.  It required a freak goal late in the 1st leg from Stoch where on another day we could've been thumped 4-0.  We rode our luck.  And in Thessaloniki a miracle happened.  Klaus actually scored a goal, and a good one at that.  They got a red card and we had them on the ropes and still couldn't kill them off.  Maybe if we had fans it could've made the difference.  Regardless, that Schalke team was weaker than this one and we still couldn't beat them.

As for this Schalke team, if we played them again (hypothetically) and had more luck, it's very possible we'd come 0:0 or 1:1 or lose by just 1 goal.  But that's not what happened.  What I'm trying to say is last time around we had a lot of luck and things go our way.  This time around zero luck.  Goal by Matos in the 5th minute and it's a different game all of a sudden.  The ball is round as they say.

What I do believe though, is that for us to beat Schalke over two legs, the probability is quite low.  Anyone that saw the game can see how much stronger a team they are.  Schalke have luck because they make it.

End of the day they look at a teams like PAOK like we look at teams like PAS Giannina.  They'll beat us once in 10 tries because all the luck goes their way on the day.  It is what it is.  No offence intended to PAS Giannina fans.