Phantis Forums

EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

Blackhawk

4 hours ago, pash said:

We should also keep in mind all four players in our back line are sitting on two yellows. Any yellows in this match means we'll have to rotate...and possibly heavily.

Damn those cards.  We don't have the depth, at this level anyway.

24 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Two players that we will definitively miss in  the two games against the Germans are Canas and Kace. Not sure if Charisis will be able to replace those two.

Ivic will have to be creative on Thursday.

Not sure if Ivic will go for 3 in the middle Cimirot:Shakhov:Charisis or 2 in which case I'd expect Shakhov to start.  Charisis I don't think is at that level.  At least, not with 2 in the middle.  Will be interesting to see what Ivic tries.

Ivic is going to play his strongest available lineup. I think that has to be:

Glykos

Matos Varela Crespo Leovac

Cimirot Shakhov

Mistakidis Biseswar Henrique

Klaus

Playing a three man defense is bizarre, when we play so much better with wingers for Leovac and matos to work with

38 minutes ago, pash said:

Ivic is going to play his strongest available lineup. I think that has to be:

Glykos

Matos Varela Crespo Leovac

Cimirot Shakhov

Mistakidis Biseswar Henrique

Klaus

Playing a three man defense is bizarre, when we play so much better with wingers for Leovac and matos to work with

Agree on the lineup. 

Having Canas out is bad enough, having Xarisi in there will only compound the problem. 

Let's hope we can get something from this game to take to Germany. 

Fortunately, he doesn't need to. As long as he feeds the others and can control the pace of the game, I'll take him.

These guys have another writeup of possibilities: http://www.protothema.gr/sports/article/654137/ta-shedia-tou-ivits-gia-to-mats-tou-paok-kodra-sti-salke/

It's pretty much in line with what I hoped for above. I really dont' want Campos to get the nod ahead of Mistakidis - #27 has earned this over the past month. I also think Henrique needs to get the start on the left side. It's notable but not surprising that Warda is unlikely to see game time; we probably have to wait until Veroia until our first glimpse of him.

Crespo/Varela is the best pair to start there (we'll need Crespo's speed and Varela's strength against their guys), and I still very much hope we don't start with a 3-CB defense. IF, somehow, we get ahead...then sure, throw in the extra defenders and park the bus. I think playing for a 0-0 draw is setting ourselves up to fail.

I would not be surprised at all to see Ivic go with a 3-5-2 formation. Something like this:

----------------------- Glykos ------------------------
----- Varela ------- Malezas ------- Crespo  -----
Matos - Cimirot - Shakhov - Charisis - Leovac
----------- Mystakidis ----- Henrique ------------- 

Apparently Pelkas has returned to practices and is available.

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)

Regardless of the formation, the team will need to be setup so that we can retain as much of the ball as possible.  If the midfield sit so deep that when we do finally get the ball we're just forced to turn it over again, then we're in trouble.  No defence can withstand 90 minutes of constant pressure.  It'll be interesting to see how Ivic sets the team up.

I was listening to Raptopoulos and he suggested something like this fo a 3-5-2 formation...Basically what BlackHawk posted.

-----------------Mystakidis--------Enrique-------------------

Leovac-----Charisis----Sakhov----Cimirot-----Matos

-------Malezas----------Crespo--------Varella-------------

------------------------------Glykos------------------------------

Edited by BostonThanatos

...and I have more confidence in Mysta and Enrique on actually scoring a goal, than Klaus.

Rapto mentioned that when Tudor took Klaus out and put MAk & Rodrigues up front vs. Dortmund last year it made the difference...

My memory for details like that is pretty crappy, so I'll take his word for it.

Edited by BostonThanatos

If he decides that the most important thing is not to concede a goal and be satisfied with even a 0:0 result, than the 3-5-2 formation makes sense. 

The nineteen players picked by Ivic are:

Γλύκος, Μπρκιτς, Μάτος , Κίτσιου , Λέοβατς, Μαλεζάς, Βαρέλα, Κρέσπο, Πούγγουρας, Σάκχοφ, Χαρίσης, Τσίμιροτ, Μπίσεσβαρ, Ενρίκε, Κάμπος, Μυστακίδης, Ουάρντα , Αθανασιάδης, Κουλούρης

I think the fact that Pouggouras is in the squad suggests that Ivic maybe leaning towards a 3-5-2. It has gotten us results in the past when Ivic has gone with it, not so sure i would go with it but I have faith in Ivic

Edited by paokarag4

The formation is 3-5-2 as I expected. The only difference is Klaus instead of Henrique and I did not expect Biseswar to start.

Matos ----- Cimirot ----- Shakhov ----- Leovac
------------------- Biseswar -------------------------
--------- Mystakidis --------- Klaus ---------------- 

17 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

The formation is 3-5-2 as I expected. The only difference is Klaus instead of Henrique and I did not expect Biseswar to start.

Matos ----- Cimirot ----- Shakhov ----- Leovac
------------------- Biseswar -------------------------
--------- Mystakidis --------- Klaus ---------------- 

I figured it would be 3-5-2 but the graphic I saw had it set up as a 4-3-3

• Blackhawk changed the title to EL-Rof32-Leg 1: PAOK - Schalke 04 (16 Feb 2017, 22:05 EET)