Phantis Forums

Greeksoccer.com

Antaeus7

If anybody is curious what happen to the website, it is now an organized Olympiakos football club in Chicago. When you put in the website, it actually redirects you to that website. 

Edited by Molon Lave

The web site as a forum has closed down in spring of 2015. The owner of the site decided to close it for his own reasons. Truthfully I am surprised he has not closed much earlier, since was devoting all his time to the Olympiakos Youth Academy in Chicago. My  belief is that he was running the GS forums all this years with a main goal and dream to start the Olympiakos Academy, which he eventually accomplished back in 2013. 

8 hours ago, Amorgos said:

At the end, like all Greek tragedies - common sense just could not prevail 

That's why I think we have to be more careful and sensible here, in addition to keeping in mind the nature and scope of this site.

4 hours ago, Athens4 said:

What happened to all the members? Why didn't they come onto here? Are they aware of Phantis?

A lot came across in the first few months but as you'd expect not everyone.  I don't think everyone knew about phantis.  I wouldn't be surprised, assuming Greece can qualify for the 2018 World Cup, to see a lot of old posters come back next year.

16 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

The atmosphere was way too toxic towards the end. 

Not as toxic as in 2003 when Greeksoccer was under the Phantis umbrella, which led to the split. The same people that caused all the problems then were also behind the problems at GS which eventually led to the demise of Greeksoccer in 2015. The problem was that the owner of the site after accomplishing his dream (Olympiakos Academy in Chicago) basically gave up on GS and let the inmates run the asylum which led to turmoil. At the end Yannis just decided to close the whole thing down.

8 hours ago, Athens4 said:

What happened to all the members? Why didn't they come onto here? Are they aware of Phantis?

Few did come over. Some were members of Phantis from the past. The majority of the Olympiakos fans led by people that ruined both GS/Phantis in 2003 and GS in 2015 just started their own forum. Some of them wouldn't be welcomed here anyway. I am sure that there are some good posters that are not aware of Phantis, and hopefully they will somehow find their way here.

6 hours ago, OlympicHellas said:

i noticed another forum, of ex GS people popped up during the last month as well.....which is interesting.....

Would it be worth trying to get them to come over?

I think the problem is fanaticism. I mean even I used to troll the Aris forum on GS when I was in my teens. As we grow older I guess we become more mature and realise that it is just a sport and the players are just professionals doing their job. But I'll say one thing, I do like a bit of banter with fans of other teams. It is when the banter turns into insults that things get out of hand.

I enjoy the non-football part of the forum just as much as the football. It's interesting to hear opinions and ideas from diaspora around the globe. As I said, it would be great if some of the posters who made GS worthwhile could somehow make it onto here. It's nice when everyone gets along.

3 hours ago, Athens4 said:

Would it be worth trying to get them to come over?

Most posters know that both sites exists.  If they want to be on both forums they can be.  I only caught the tail end of the greeksoccer.com "schism" and I can tell you if anything like that starts up here posters would be banned in short order.  greeksoccer.com had a lot of cool posters but the mud-slinging was next level s%$#!.  As far as groups of fans, for me, all were to blame.  The wise ones usually just kept out of it and ignored it because really it was all farcical and petty.  The way everything has panned out is probably for the best.

• Like it 1

At the end of the day despite the shitstorm that GS caused towards the end I think its best for it to be remembered for the good things it provided, a chance for diaspora Greeks (English speaking Greeks and non Greeks) to come together and talk about a variety of topics ranging from predominately Sports to History to Politics to TV Shows to dating advice to general conversation etc and so on. 

Im sure alot of posters have gone on to make good/lifelong friends from it, it didnt work out in the end  but it ran its course of 10+ years , thankfully we've been given a 2nd (and for some posters a 3rd) life.

I dont see much difference from the good parts of GS and Phantis, its continuing on where GS left off when it was at its heights, sure its not as busy but a thats got a lot to do with a range of factors (The state of greek football/the NT/Greece in general compared to back then).

The main thing is we still have a site where we can do this, and as time goes on will keep improving and gathering more traffic im sure of it.

• Like it 1

On 2/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, Amorgos said:

Still think there was a way forward for gs.com but a main stakeholder didn't want to know about it. 

Reflecting back, I think Yannis used GS (including the forums and the soccer tournament) as a vehicle to get the Olympiakos Academy going. Once he accomplished that, he did not need GS to persuade Olympiakos to invest into the academy in Chicago. In the end Yannis did not have the time or the patience to deal with the issues at GS.com.Once he gave up on being involved it was the beginning of the end because he let people running the site that should not have any business doing so.

On 2/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, ThrylosG7 said:

AEK, Paok and Pao fans were allowed to troll the Oly forum constantly making constant comments about match fixing, paranges referees etc...

THATS CAUSE OLY WAS MATCH-FIXING YOU OLYMPIASKATA m#$%!

only kidding hahaha

Yeah i have no idea why people would get so heated in that forum. Even after being asked multiple times over and over, the same people would cause the same problems.

I miss those days though

11 hours ago, tantra129 said:

the baby blue uniform was Red Devil's club The Phalanx  

I remember in 2006 on the first day of the first GS tourney, the goalie for the Phalanx did not show up and Red Devil was scrambling to find a goalie for their game against our Greeksoccer.com team. At the end I ended up being their goalie for that game. Maybe that's why Greeksoccer defeated Phalanx in that game. 

I played for Phalanx in that one game. Kastorianos (Trajkov) was the goalie for Greeksoccer during all the GS tournaments. The only other time I played a goalie in the GS tournament was when Kastorianos got injured and I had to go in for one half. I think that was in 2008 or 2009.