Phantis Forums

SL Realignment - 14 Teams

Blackhawk

Consulting firm Deloitte presented their findings concerning the future of Superleague, and came out with the following suggestions:

170824.jpg

Let's see if people at Superleague take any of these suggestions into account.

I don't like the idea but it is still better than the stupid 6 game playoff that they have now. I think 30 games is enough to know who should finish in 2nd.  This proposal is a way to get more derbies in. If they want to do that, just have a 10 team league and have everyone play each other 4 times. It would be 36 games and more competitive teams playing each other week in week out. No split groups.

I don't like the idea of the playoffs either. Play your games and in the end that's the finish order.  Or, have a smaller league as there's a huge gap between the top 3-5 teams and the rest, and have them play 4 times a season.

But, in my mind, all this is cosmetic bs. They should make the league more competitive and add quality. Once they get rid of the mafia, (this is a big IF), then there are ways to boost the reputation and competitiveness of the league. Maybe revenue sharing; a draft; salary caps, etc.

This sport is dying...

• Like it 1

I agree. I don't like the idea of each team playing every other team four times in a season (on top of possible Cup games), but I'd accept that if it left us with a better league. The rot will continue regardless.

I wonder how much the EPO paid Deloitte for this expert analysis? I've got some advice I could give these guys for free.

1 hour ago, pash said:

I wonder how much the EPO paid Deloitte for this expert analysis? I've got some advice I could give these guys for free.

Sorry, they should pay us in several extra boughatsa trays at least.  ['cause the 2 trays they've been sending us every month aren't nearly enough]

EPO did not pay for this. Superleague did on the advice of Forthnet (Novasport), that wants to see a more competitive league.

Of interest are the other findings by Delloite:

Between 2010 - 2016 Superleague revenue declined by 84%
Between 2009 - 2016 tickets sales dropped 48%
Between 2009 - 2016 TV revenue declined 13%

• Like it 1

a lot of those drops can be attributed to

Aris.AEK, Larissa, OFI, Iraklis ,Oly Volou being relegated...

PAO being poor on the field... and leaving OAKA.....

As much as PAO fans hate OAKA...At least it could hold big crowds for derbies and hence revenue/tickets are up..

Even the much maligned Iraklis,Oly Volou, OFI  have a lot larger supporter base than Panthrax, Doxa, Veria, Kerkyra,Ergotelis,Kalloni, Levadiakos, etc etc etc..

21 hours ago, athinaios said:

I don't like the idea of the playoffs either. Play your games and in the end that's the finish order.  Or, have a smaller league as there's a huge gap between the top 3-5 teams and the rest, and have them play 4 times a season.

But, in my mind, all this is cosmetic bs. They should make the league more competitive and add quality. Once they get rid of the mafia, (this is a big IF), then there are ways to boost the reputation and competitiveness of the league. Maybe revenue sharing; a draft; salary caps, etc.

This sport is dying...

There is a huge gap also in other countries.  Spain 9 out of 10 titles will go to Barca, Real.  In England it will be Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea.  In Germany Bayern, Dortmund.  But regardless, fans still support the smaller teams.  The problem is more than just money, although it's definitely a factor.  But I think even if you gave Atromitos for example, 100 million euros each season, would they get 10,000+ supporters to games ?  There just aren't enough clubs in Greece with a decent fan base.  In an alternate reality, the EPO should be helping teams outside of Athens/Thessaloniki to become "bigger".

Obviously as the crisis hit in 2009 we can see that the figures took a nose dive, I think that is the biggest factor all be it not the only one. 

A lot of clubs inside and outside of the two big cities need to merge. It's that simple. Yes there is history, rivalries etc...  but when a super league club can only get 800-1,000 people outside of a "derby" they don't need 3 clubs in that city/island. There needs to be large scale mergers and build the fan bases. League needs to be cut down to 14 teams. 

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

There is a huge gap also in other countries.  Spain 9 out of 10 titles will go to Barca, Real.  In England it will be Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea.  In Germany Bayern, Dortmund.  But regardless, fans still support the smaller teams.  The problem is more than just money, although it's definitely a factor.  But I think even if you gave Atromitos for example, 100 million euros each season, would they get 10,000+ supporters to games ?  There just aren't enough clubs in Greece with a decent fan base.  In an alternate reality, the EPO should be helping teams outside of Athens/Thessaloniki to become "bigger".

No, Atromitos would not bring in lots more fans, but who really knows? With success, things happen.  What I want is for a more competitive league, which would be good for a better spectacle and making the top teams even better. You're right that the bigger clubs dominate in England, Spain, Germany, but their leagues are far more competitive. Same with a few other leagues whose teams are classes above the Greek ones.

Look at the numbers Blackhawk provided above....  IF this is not a huge crisis, I don't know what it would be. The sport is dying and the idiots in charge are fighting for chairs on the Titanic.

10 hours ago, athinaios said:

Look at the numbers Blackhawk provided above....  IF this is not a huge crisis, I don't know what it would be. The sport is dying and the idiots in charge are fighting for chairs on the Titanic.

An apt analogy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Remember the Greek League used to be just a regular season where the teams finish automatically get European spots? I miss those years. I used to go crazy watching those leagues from 1995-2006. 

Edited by Molon Lave

• 1 month later...

During Superleague general meeting today it was decided with a vote of 13-3 (Larisa, Levadeiakos and Panaitolikos voted against) that starting with 2018-2019 season the Superleague will take place with 14 teams. It was also decided that starting with next season, the playoffs will take place with 6 teams, and it will include the team in first place after the regular season. Basically it means that the champion will be decided through a playoff system. Same thin applies to relegation. The  teams finishing in places 7-14 will take part in a a play-out.

In order to get to 14 teams, next season, the teams finishing in 15-16 will be relegated directly to Football League. teams finishing 13-14 will play a mini tournament with Football league teams finishing in places 2 & 3 during the regular season for one spot for Superleague. The winner of Football League will qualify automatically for Superleague.

OFFICIAL: SUPERLEAGUE FORMAT WILL CHANGE NEXT SEASON

In today's Superleague Board of Directors meeting, major formatting changes were passed, with some changes set to take place next season and others starting the 2018-2019 season.

It was a historic day in the Greek Superleague as the league's format was reconstructed with hopes of bringing more interest in the Greek First Division. Three major changes were made including:

1. Starting the 2018-2019 season, the number of teams in the league will be reduced from 16 to 14 teams.

2. Starting the 2017-2018 season, the league champion will be decided via the playoffs rather than the regular season.

3. Starting the 2017-2018 season, the relegated teams will be decided via a playout system.

Reduction of Teams: The Greek Superleague will continue to have 16 teams next season, however starting the 2018-2019 season, the league will be reduced to 14 teams. This change was passed after 13 out of the 16 teams voted for the switch. Larissa, Levadiakos, and Panetolikos all voted against the new proposal.

Champion via the Playoff route: Starting next season the playoffs will no longer consist of the teams ending 2nd-5th in the regular season, but instead with the teams ending 1st-6th. The points earned in the regular season will be transferred into the playoffs and the team that finishes first at the conclusion of the playoffs will be the Superleague champion. Additionally, the European places for the Champions League and Europa League will be decided via the playoffs.

Relegation via Playouts: The official playout system will be implemented starting the 2018-2019 season, however next season a different format will be used in order to decrease the league from 16 teams to 14 teams. Next season, the 15th and 16th placed teams from the Superleague will be automatically relegated to the Football League while the Football League champion will be promoted to the Superleague. The 13th and 14th placed teams from next year's Superleague will play in a 3-team mini league playout, along with the second placed team from the Football League. Only the top team after the conclusion of the mini league will remain in the Superleague for the 2018-2019 season.

This format will bring the number of teams in the league to a total of 14. For 2018-2019, the relegation playouts will consist of the teams ranked 7th-14th in the regular season (playoffs will have teams ranked 1st-6th). The points from the regular season will be transferred to the playouts and the bottom placed team (14th) at the conclusion of the playouts will be relegated to the Football League while the Football League champion will be promoted to the Superleague. At the conclusion of the playouts, the 13th place team from the Superleague will play a two-legged tie with the second placed team from the Football League for a final place the in Superleague.

so basically we get guaranteed 4 derbies a season, (2 in the regular season + in the championship playoffs) does not seem like anything is gained from a footballing perspective. Only gain is selling more tickets (potentially) in the derbies/more $ from advertisers for the derby games. Can't see anyone jumping out of their skin to attend  PAS vs atromitos 4 times a season. 

If Olympiakos is 20 points ahead at the end of the season, the playoff becomes essentially meaningless...if they're NOT in first place, this gives them another chance to win. I don't think this is much of an improvement, honestly.

Seems like this is just Novasports getting a bit more out of its investment. Can't say I blame them. Are the playoffs going to be two legs? The season lasts a little too long now as it is, hopefully this keeps things a bit tighter.

From what i've understood, yes you play all teams twice in the play-offs format. So next season there will be 40 (!!!) league games for the teams in the championship playoffs. The 18-19 season will be less since the league is dropping to 14 teams, so I count 36 league games for the top 6 sides. 
This would mean teams in the relegation playoffs play 48 league/playoff games next season? that can't be right? 

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...