Phantis Forums

Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina (13 November 2016, Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

also @ all the k paps bashers. please review the tape again the Bosnian person instigated it. true he should have been smarter, not infront of the ref but when hes not looking get in his face and make it known to watch your tongue. or on the pitch make an extra hard foul on him or elbow when possible.

people in many sports fail to realize its the person who starts it that is to blame. root cause assessment, if one doesn't start anything then there will be no issue. and when someone does then they need to accept the outcome and whatever they have towards them.  

4 hours ago, Dampyr said:

Some of both Bosnian and Greek media should be heavily criticized.

They find some facebook comments or forum posts and make articles based on that with panic headlines like from one popular Bosnian sport news site:"Greek threats: We will crush your entire country!", and I saw also some Greek articles based on angry comments on Edin Džeko's facebok page lmao.

And of course when someone get hurt they will not be blamed.

Yes we will crush your country, but not just yet.  Everyone is currently at the kafetaria playing tavli.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, georgelaz said:

sokratis also saved us a probable goal on their part where he pitpocketed dzeko

he's a beast too mayn, even the best defenders make mistakes and he was making dangerous runs too.

sokratis gives 200% for the ethiniki.

He should be captain.  No one else comes close.

Regarding Kyriakos, what was he doing on the pitch ?  He's played 26 minutes of competitive football this season.  And you expect him to out class Dzeko and not make any mistakes ?  If the depth in our team is so bad that we have to play him, then it's a bad reflection on our NT.

Edited by Bananas

6 hours ago, georgelaz said:

In qualifying for 2004, the impact was impressive. Greece did not lose for 15 games. They won in Spain. Under Rehhagel's guidance, they strolled to a place in Portugal and along the way, they developed a formidable spirit.

"It was more like a family," says Fyssas. "It was not one of these national teams with 55 players. We had 20 or so who were always in the squad -- he would bring two or three more along to have a look at them -- and so we were very close. We would sacrifice everything for each other."

I wish Claudio Ranieri understood this, he called up anyone and everyone and set us back as a team, we still haven't recovered.

• Like it 1

18 minutes ago, aek66 said:

js1000, no offense...you aren't the first poster to whine about ranieri/4 matches/destroyed greece...the best thing i can i can say is that you didn't know that these players were injured (toro, xolebas, taxi, lazaros, kone, fetfa) or that player was totally unfit (samaras) or this player had no club (mitroglou) or these players retired (kats, karagounis) and this player's form dropped off a cliff (salpi). sprinkle in our 'world-class' CBs watching tiny jamie ward score on a corner kick.

all that, between ranieri match #1 - match #4.

that is not the reason why we drew at home with bosnia 1-1 in 2016.

Never said thats why we drew to Bosnia but Ranieri destroyed us he called up way too many players I get we had injuries etc but we've been over this, he made many mistakes, just read what Fyssas said one more time. Too many changes too quickly, kind of reminds me of what Greame Sounness did to Liverpool. 

We drew with Bosnia because we have no midfield and Mitroglou is our only forward with any quality. They also have quality like Dzeko, Spahic Pranjic Ibisevic not to mention Begovic. Draw at home is a good result for us when you consider how average we've become. 

1 hour ago, js1000 said:

I wish Claudio Ranieri understood this, he called up anyone and everyone and set us back as a team, we still haven't recovered.

This is something a lot of people don't understand, and the posters of this specific forum seems to understand it the least. 

On national team level experience and continuity is the key. You cant call up everyone that has had 3 good games in the superleague. The Germans has understood this, that's why players like Klose, Podolski and Khedira would always be called up, regardless of club form. Joachim Low could rely on them no matter what. 

If it was up to the the majority of the members of this forum, Siopis would have started a crucial game against Bosnia. It sounds like a bad joke, but it's not.

• Like it 4

From what I saw in the video, Kyriakos Papadopoulos should have never attack a Bosnian player and should have kept his hands to himself in the process of the ref pulling out a red card. I'm afraid he has stoop down to the level of other dirty footballers like Nigel De Jong or Diego Costa. 

• Like it 1

Problem is our midfield doesn't know how to hold the ball and create quality chances. Second we need to break on the counter attack faster our transition game is too slow. As far as the second game with Bosnia we will win  due to the fact we defend better and hopefully mitro wont miss sitters or have concrete legs.  K.Paps reaction was wrong period but with that said you don't know the smack talk that's happening down there and some players let it get to them lets not forget Zidane famous headbutt. Still wrong regardless....Also with the amount of strikers we have playing  out of position like Karelis and Giannotas maybe 4-3-3 would be best option for this team. 

4 hours ago, aek66 said:

if 1919-1922 and the resulting treaties never occured, then greece would have a substantial % of muslims. some greeks did turn religion - i'm guessing more for this world (benefits) than the next world. the turco-cretans?

were these muslim turks who left tiny villages in moving trucks from anatolia who sought a better life in a tiny village in what is modern day greece, only to be repatriated to turkey in 1923?? i don't think so. the issues that faced post communism yugoslavia - we avoided because of the treaty of lozannis.

greek-serbian brotherhood and 'we didn't turn muslim' are on page 1 of the kafeneio nationalism manual?

yes this is true. If you actually did a dna sample you'd see that a lot of turks are heavily greek genetically. the greeks that remained greeks are the stubborn one's that stick to their principles. the more mercenary ones became turks because they could essentially buy back their freedom by becoming one of them. sooooo many ethnic greeks with names like mehmet ozturk even as far as the 1800s-1900s

Edited by georgelaz

We CANT go to Belgium with the same style we are playing as we will get raped. Skibbe needs to change things, especially our middle I really don't see how Maniatis and Samaris (if they both start) will handle the Belgium midfield, they will over power us big time. I think Sokrati/Manolas can do a good job on Lukaku, but lets not forget Hazard is in amazing form right now so Toro (if he starts at RB) will have another tough day marking him, then you got De Bruyne to watch, Belgium are a danger all over the park, I honestly cant see us even getting a draw there but I hope Greece prove me wrong.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic

http://lib.tilesport.tv/videos/40682/Φλέκας-Ίσως-χωρίς-Έλληνες-φιλάθλου

Seems Greek fans wont be going Bosnia next match and you can hardly blame them for not going. Because some dopes wana pull out banners and Serb flags without thinking the damage/danger it can cause or put some fans in who want to follow the NT in all its qualifiers.

That is also the trombeta that was taken after the Belarus game at knifepoint.....

• Like it 2

As far as the match goes in Belgium, I have watched a few friendly matches for Belgium, they haven't been doing well against teams like Spain and Netherlands. Greece will have to come up with a good game plan to stop them from scoring. 

Why wouldn't they want to go and support their NT? These guys went last time and everything was fine for them. But now with the s%$#! that these idiots did with the banner and Serb flag they have put a target on every Greek fan wanting to go Bosnia.

Faros are mostly elderly people, few young also and they attend every Greek match home & away, I give these guys massive respect for the support they give Greece. The president also have a museum in Crete for the Greek Football team and its a very nice museum also and from memory its the only one that exists in Greece.

22 hours ago, Original Sydney said:

I agree with the things you say, but as for the NT not playing in Athens, where do they go play then?

I like when we play in Kriti. 

Ideally, Karaiskaki is the best stadium in Greece in the biggest city with the most football fans. However nobody cares and they don't support the Ethniki. 

Edited by Andriotis

Ellas75 this time I am sceptical, don't think anyone will go especially with the petty things being thrown around by both sets of fans, it will be dangerous and they will target any Greek they see. Would be good if they do though but these Bosnians wont forget what happened at the last game.

Andriotis, Crete wouldn't be a bad idea. I have seen people say play in Larisa but Larisa doesn't have an airport nearby and the closest one is 70km away so not very ideal. They can always go back to OAKA even though the stadium will look like an AEK match with the crowds we have been getting of late.

a couple things

- how did the bosnians get past security with the flares?

- is it me or is dzeko instigating violence when we go to over there?? sickening ! and his attitude and statement as to why he was kicked out of the game is shameful. everyone whom is Bosnian should be ashamed as to why he is acting like a spoiled little B^TCH! you pulled someones shorts down! like really!!! and then pushed him to the ground! you started s%$#! and have the balls to be a bitch!!!! and for the banner about the Bosnian genocide, I do not condone that! we should know better as we are victims of genocide ourselves! security should have stopped that s%$#! from coming in as well.

• Like it 4

8 hours ago, Original Sydney said:

Andriotis, Crete wouldn't be a bad idea. I have seen people say play in Larisa but Larisa doesn't have an airport nearby and the closest one is 70km away so not very ideal. They can always go back to OAKA even though the stadium will look like an AEK match with the crowds we have been getting of late.

But 70km is nearby, its a 1 hour drive away max. Larisa is served by (the newly upgraded) Volos airport, it's not an issue. Karaiskakis is for example 50km away from Athens airport, while Zenica (where Bosnia plays) is also 70km away nearest airport (Sarajevo).

In my opinion there is no doubt that the Greek national should play at various across the nation, so that as many as possible gets the chance to watch the team. Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal, etc all play their games in different cities.

Larisa having the best stadium should be our new main venue. From there on Pankritio and Pampeloponnisiako should also get games, while a stadium in Thessaloniki should be picked. Vikelidis would be the best, but Kaftantzoglio is more likely. Xanthi arena should be a candidate for the least prolific friendly games. 

• Like it 1

On 14/11/2016 at 3:29 PM, kosaca said:

Argy, we beat you 3-1 in Zenica without Pjanic. Our team is more than Pjanic.

Kyriakos Papadopolous can't even start for RB Leipzig and you think he is elite... what? He has played **26** minutes this season for RB Leipzig.

Your team is more than Pjanic, and we are more than Manolas, we all agree, but we are both better teams with these players on the pitch rather than off.

Kyriakos has been plagued with injuries over the last few years and is just starting to gain form. He will be playing for a big club sooner than later. You can see how good he is on the pitch, he just needs to be more disciplined while maintaining his intensity. 

Edited by Argy

I think greek fans will be fine in bosnia mostly because of the massive police presence. It will be seen as a game of high risk and bosnia usually does well at keeping people safe. It shouldn't be like this though there needs to be more respect , had this game finished without srebrenica banners or flag burning like last time we wouldn't even be having this convo. It's positive that lots of greek people and some greek media have spoken up against the banners and I think that actually means something to the bosnian people. 

• Like it 1

Regarding Kyriakos, while he is only playing sparingly for his team, he is coming back from a year of some serious injuries.  When he was at Schalke, he was rated as one of the top young defensemen in the world.  After being out for most of last year, he needs to gain some form. I do believe his valuation was around 15 million euros, hardly a bad player.