Phantis Forums

Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina (13 November 2016, Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Technically Tziolis and Maniatis are with clubs. However, they're not playing so definitely should not be anywhere near the NT.

The only coaches who selected players without clubs was Otto Rehhagel and Santos. Where at various stages Charisteas and Basinas played under Otto whilst Katsouranis went to India then finished up there and still walked in to the team.

Some people are just very cautious and negative by nature so they're predicting some "World Class" Bosnia is going to fly in to Athens and dish up a humiliation. That's fine. It may well happen. It's not completely ridiculous but I'm more realistic and can see that although the Ethniki isn't at the top of it's game, Bosnia isn't either so it will be tight.

^I think more people are worried because of our line up and the guys Skibbe has chosen as bench options. With Manolas out i believe it makes us a little weaker in the back, I also think we had better options to call up instead of Diamantakos or Bask. And having Tziolis or Maniatis called up and potentially starting is concerning as well. I think our NT has the potential to be good but I don't think we will see it until the best possible players are called up. Wouldn't it be smart to have a good second option if our offense isn't clicking or Fortounis gets injured for example to bring on Ninis or Kone rather then having  Vellios or Diamantakos? And if Skibbe played Holebas he wouldn't have retired as I believe he would have been a huge and important piece going forward. We are concerned that our best is not going g to be matching up against Bosnia and that's why some people are negative. 

we got more problems in the defense. sokratis left the field 10 minutes before time injured. he looked very hurt in the ribs. he got hit by his own player in a free kick. hope its not that bad but it looked serious when he had problems walking off the field.

guys, if we don't have manolas and sokratis our two best players we are severely diminished as a team. it doesn't mean we don't deserve to be in the world cup, it means we're unlucky. what would bosnia be without pjanic and dzeko? that's how vital these two are to us. manolas is one of the top interceptors in the game today and is pivotal to our counter-attack.

2 hours ago, nasl said:

free kicks , corner kicks , air balls , Bosnia is going to try and win the game this way.

We need to limit these kinds of opportunities and take advantage of any chance we get.

A decent crowd will also help us .

The new manager seems to like playing long-ball tactics. If that's read and neutralized then Bosnia loses its threat in attack.

6 hours ago, ELLAS75 said:

We need Sokratis obviously, I hope he will be fit for this game. I want a win over Bosnia cant stand them and its revenge time for what happened in Bosnia last WCUP qualifying. PA ME ELLADA!!!

Why not? :/

4 hours ago, jason said:

Depite Djeko and pjanic Greece still are the better team. They just cant play chicken football but play with nerve. When we play belgium it will be all tactical counter attack style but we dont need to play bosnia that way. 

I think it's quite an even match up - 50/50. Both Bosnia and Greece are average European sides and a lot will depend on who wants it more on the day. A draw wouldn't surprise me.

good news about sokratis. he has only a hematoma and will be available for the match against bosnia. it would be smart to save him against belarus.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/podosfairo/anakoufisi-me-swkrati-enisxuei-kanonika-tin-ethniki/3239364

torosidis has recovered from an injury.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Flaroma24.it%2Fnews%2Fcampionato-campionato%2F2016%2F11%2Fbologna-i-convocati-di-donadoni-ce-destro&edit-text=&act=url

Edited by Nikitas
  • Like it 1

To not have at least 1-2 changes is disappointing. Heard an interview with a well known coach answer the question "How would you describe your footballing philosophy?" to which he answered, that "first of all, having memorable matches, in a row" and "that the people really want to see the next game, can't wait to see the next game". While the last campaign was mired with embarrassing losses and it's good to see us winning this campaign, nothing memorable about the way we have been playing. In fact, we have only scored 1 goal in the three 2nd half matches with Gibraltar, Cyprus and Estonia.

For me, that's not good enough by Greece and the coach, and is a small sign that not all is well. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by kbxk508

Let's be honest the team hasn't played well at all but has managed to get wins its only a matter of time until this formula runs out and we start losing again so for Skibbe not make any changes to our started line up and call up different players is just bad coaching. Skibbe is continuing to stay with the same line up that has been not playing well, is he hoping that all of a sudden after how many game that this line up will magically start playing well together? He really should have made some different call ups as any coach with common sense and a good soccer IQ would have definitely given him self a second option off the bench at the very least.

Sead Kolašinac is doubtful for this match, and Muhamed Bešić is injured for a long time. Those two are our starting left back and defensive midfielder and biggest absences at this moment. But there are still chances Kolašinac will play.

I don't think we will win if we cant beat belarus. that's a massive blow to our confidence. it''s not like our team is gunna be that much more robust what are the additions? karnezis, mitroglou, mantalos?

hopefully we can pull a rabit out of our asses.

Hello greeks ! Should be a cracker of a game hopefully no more flag burning :) thought I would help the forum that has iptv by listing the channels the game will be on ;

Ote sports 1

bhtv 1 

also off topic if there are any Cypriots in here could they please let me know how to get cytasports my gf is a massive apoel fan 

• Like it 1

By goodness the doom and gloom in this thread.

Some of it justified, but who cares about the Belarus game it was not even the real starting team.

We don't have the depth to do that and expect victory.  I am honestly not certain either way about the Bosnia game but I DO know they will show up ready to play and have a more serious mentality.  

tachtsidis is injured and petsos probably also isnt fit for the bosnia match so skibbe called up siopis and koutroubis. maniatis also picked up a little injury to the adductor. luckely thats all for now , we cant have any more injuries.

http://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/phre-koytroymph-kai-siwph-o-skimpe.4364610.html

http://www.novasports.gr/podosfairo/diethneis/world-championship-qualifications/article/298647/amfivoloi-petsos-tahtsidis/#.WCRwDcmmrAY

9 hours ago, Amorgos said:

@Bananas avatar bet? I am betting Bosnia wins

No.  I'd prefer to keep it a strictly AEK vs PAOK affair.  I don't want you winning the bet if it means our NT losing or vice versa.  Where is the joy in that ?  But PAOK beating AEK, well that is just double the joy.  First I get to savour the win in and of itself, and second I get to see your beautiful new avatar.

@Reaper , i have no idea how good siopis is but curius to see him play.

@J1078 , thats because skibbe is infected with the EPO virus and the only cure is to put a big broom true it and station the right people there. how stupid can you be to select only 1 winger and end the match with 3 cf's and play 2 of them on the wings , start with only 2 or 3 starters and play with 2 players who doesnt have a team and make on of them captain and only select 1 proper right back. you can start a match with so many benchplayers and players that have to team and get away with it. the first half showed it. skibbe made huge mistakes this match , almost like an amature.

what line up he will bring i dont know but i would have start with this. i asume tachtsidis isnt fit for sunday and maybe maniatis and petsos also.

-------------------------------------karnezis---------------------------------

torosidis---------------papadopoulos---sokratis-------------tzavellas

----------------------------samaris-------siopis /koutroubis-------------

gianniotas------------------------fortounis---------------------mantalos

------------------------------------mitroglou---------------------------------

• Like it 1

We have an abundance of borderline NT-calibre players on this roster. Where are some supersubs like Ninis and Fetfa? I hope they surprise us with a win or draw on Sunday, but I just can`t see success being sustainiable with all these marginal, out of form, sometimes club-less, players filling key roles in this lineup.

In his meeting with Otto, I am certain that the thing Skibbe took away was to stick with a core of experienced, reliable players and avoid shaking the roster up too much like Ranieri and co. did last term. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1