Phantis Forums

Standard Liège vs Panathinaikos 10/20/2016

Accor6

^When you tire, so does the mind. Is it any wonder why we always concede late in games?

We need another strong transfer window to fix the team where it hurts. If we can do this and keep our best players, we can do good things next season. We are definitely at a europa league standard, mostly because most teams are deadbeats.

I understand that when your tired you make mistakes but we've also saw mistakes happen in the first half so your argument isn't 100% correct. Stramma needs to make subs sooner it looks like. Last game vs celta he was hesitant to put on fresh legs and it hurt us at the end. Same problem happened today when you see liege putting on fresh legs in the midfield but Strama wanted to hold off until the 75th. The team has good quality this year but we don't have that DM sub to help out when zeca/ledesma get tired. And that has come to really bite us in the ass since ledesma can't really play every minute for every game.

• Like it 1

The only chance we have is to get 7 points in the last 3 games and that might not be enough.

The biggest positive was that Ibarbo and Leto were unstoppable together. I want to see them with Berg to start a game as a front 3. 

I think that fatigue is a cheap excuse for any professional footballer. When you have the lead, it is very easy to slow the pace of a match down when playing a club that isn't a world beater and Standard are no world beaters. We just play dumb football in key situations and it has happened a few times this season.  Any player should know that a free kick from that close can't go over the wall but someone on our team jumped. Steele also was very poor on the play. He looked surprised by the ball coming to him for some reason.   

• Like it 1

o papous ekane thlassi

o ledesma ekane 

thlassi otan glistrise

giati den bori na stathi sta podia tou, variete pou zi

ine zontanos 

nekros from walking dead

ftines xorokseftiles metagrafes 

ololkliro kalokairi

protimasia ping pong 

kai 1,1 thlassis kai travmatizounte ton kathe kapion sto 70 kai meta 

sakatimeni omada

endaksi tin penaltara den itan alla ti sto diallo egine sto deftero imixrono

sto foul sto 2-2, o tixos pidikse anti na stathoune sta podia tous , o steele ekane lathos alla den to perimene na antidrasi etsi oi sibaiktes tou

Edited by choc13
  • Like it 1

I for one am proud of the team...  they went into a land where we RARELY get any sort of result...without the MVP of the team and coming off a brutal loss to Xanthi

They went in there and scored two FANTASTIC GOALS... The 2nd one in particular is a thing of beauty... from build up to execution... something magical

I've said it once.. Ill say it again... this team has MASSIVE psychological problems when they get scored on.... Given it wasn't a penalty, but they basically crapped themselves and forgot to play... I don't think this can solely be blamed on fatigue... the team loses it and becomes rattled

These are MASSIVE warning signs b/c I feel the team might lose it if they get scored on first in a derby... We could see some extremely bad results in derbies if an opposing side smells blood and goes for the kill

We have a good team but we just need to fix the mental part of our game

Proud of them regardless

11 hours ago, Grkfreezer624 said:

I've said it once.. Ill say it again... this team has MASSIVE psychological problems when they get scored on.... Given it wasn't a penalty, but they basically crapped themselves and forgot to play... I don't think this can solely be blamed on fatigue... the team loses it and becomes rattled

3rd game they get screwed, they are human after all.

The bigger issue is not being up to the task physically for 90min. The players are gone at 70min. They push themselves to injury. How do you explain all these injuries? Who is in charge of fitness over there?

First, PAO has shown that they're getting competitive with Euro teams despite the results against the last 3 teams. Those games could have had much better outcomes for our team. On the other hand, silly mistakes cost. It's not the fault of refs when we accept silly goals both in Euro and domestic games Also, the small details or moments of inattention determine close games. And, running out of steam there's no excuse at this stage.

Not so long ago, we had a horrible fitness managers and worse of a medical team. They fixed it for a while and PAO outplayed the other teams in terms of fitness with fewer injuries. This is extremely crucial, just as coaching, because with aging players they have to manage every player's health, minutes played, etc, with precise scientific rigor.

About the refs.... If mistakes are spread all around without a constant benefit for a select number of teams, then they're part of the game where humans make calls within a fraction of a second and without the benefit of slow motion or many camera angles. In Greece, we've seen that officiating has been helping one particular team and that's unacceptable, because it's not luck whether you get a call in your favor or against you. In an honest game, calls even out over time. Sometimes you get luck sometimes you don't.

But, I think it'd be a mistake if the team believes their bad results are not their fault. Yes, Xanthi got lucky (it's not the first time those bastards escape with 3 points having only 1-2 wild chances to score) but if PAO can't put away another team after having a 70% possession, and not creating chances then they can't complain too much.

17 hours ago, val said:

There is nothing idiotic about those calls, they know what they are doing. Criminal organizations the lot of them.

I refuse to get sucked into the "idea" that the European refs are out to get us.... this is loser mentality that I refuse to give into....

The calls are questionable however all the refs that have wronged us have come out and spoke that they made incorrect calls

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Grkfreezer624 said:

I refuse to get sucked into the "idea" that the European refs are out to get us.... this is loser mentality that I refuse to give into....

The calls are questionable however all the refs that have wronged us have come out and spoke that they made incorrect calls

I could be wrong about it being personal. I think we can make better inferences with the remaining 3 games.

Refs generally are renown for keeping the order. Once upon a time, they respected our name, those days are in the past.

Barca, bayern etc would never be on the receiving end of a bad call like that. This i am 100% sure.

On 10/21/2016 at 10:36 AM, val said:

3rd game they get screwed, they are human after all.

The bigger issue is not being up to the task physically for 90min. The players are gone at 70min. They push themselves to injury. How do you explain all these injuries? Who is in charge of fitness over there?

The teams fitness is a big question that Stramma has gambled (and lost)

Stramma prepared the team for the games in the summer... he did a pretty light preseason regimen in order to keep the guys fresh for the upcoming Euro games

This has massive implications later on in the season as the team's fitness wanes quickly and thus injuries are to be expected quite frequently

Gavro's preparation was much more intense in the summer as he prepared the team for an entire season (not just Euro qualifier games)... this is why the team looked all sorts of lost in the first few games as they were physically driven into the ground from their preparation, however this pays in the long run (as you can see they are coming together better and they are suffering less injuries)

Stramma will need to have another mini preseason during the winter break in order to make up for the fitness so we can finish the year

It seems like we are really taking europe seriously (could be for financial reasons), even though strama has said that the title is the main goal. If the title is the main goal, then you physically prepare the team, no?

GETTING INTO Europe was a "do or die" for the club

Make no mistake, that was our number 1 goal... without getting into Europe and getting the cashflow from that, we wouldn't have enough money to make it through the year... the team was constructed with the plan that we would make it into Europe... if we were knocked out, we would be in a MAJOR CRISIS

This is why the team was prepared the way it was....  

Gavro prepared for the entire year, underestimated their opponents, and almost got knocked out... however the hard work they put in the summer is now starting to show for them whereas it's biting us in the ass