Phantis Forums

IAAF World Championships (Outdoor)

Ziaka

Except for Tentoglou (who barely qualified with his last jump) and Emmanoulidou it was another disappointing day for Greek athletes in Budapest. Karalis failed to clear 5.35 m and was eliminated. Tzengo did not even come close to the 60 meter mark and is out as well. Same for Skarvelli. She needed to throw over 72 meter to have a chance for the final.

Emmanoulidou will need to have the race of her life to have a respectable placing in the semifinals. With the 23.00 she ran in qualifying, she will finish last in her heat. Tentoglou on the other hand is our only chance for a medal. I think he will get one, but it will be tough to get the gold.

Drisbioti can also medal in the 35km race walk, problem is she didn't race one yet this season. Coming in ranked number 3 in the world, she definitely has a chance. Only a NR will get Emmanouilidou into the finals. It's a long shot. Tentoglou just needs to find his rhythm and everything will start clicking. He knows that 8.30 will not be enough for gold. 8.40 + should be his main target. As for Friday, Gusin has been hurt the whole season and I can't see her go to the finals. Dosi on the other hand got 4 personal best this outdoor season, started at 1.86 and is currently at 1.91. If she can manage to equal or break another personal best, she might qualify for the finals. 

Edited by Antaeus7

Drisbioti got the bronze medal, which is a great accomplishment. What a fighter at almost 40-years old.

Emmanoulidou disappointed me in the semis. I really expected she would run better than what she did in qualifiers. Her time was 23.15.

Great start by Tentoglou jumping 8.50 meters on his first jump. Three Jamaicans follow him after 1st jumps.

• Like it 1

Tentoglou world champion in long jump with 8.52 meters on his last jump.

Going into the sixth and last jump Tentoglou and Pinnock both jumped 8.50, but the Jamaican was leading since he had a better second jump. Tentoglou took care of that with his sixth jump and taking home the gold medal.

• Like it 1

I predicate 2 medals (gold and bronze) and I was right 
Tomorrow our female high jumpers performing for qualification. I think Dosi can really surprise us if she breaks another PB. The automatic spot is 1.94, it's possible 1.91 may be enough to qualify. 

Gusin put up a better fight than Dosi. Even though she missed out on the finals. Finished at 1.89 (17th place). Had she only missed just one attempt at 1.89, she would have qualified for the finals grabbing the last 12th spot. Dosi finished 1.80 (34th place). 

Edited by Antaeus7

And with that, the Greek participation with 2 days left is over. Overall we did ok. As expected Tentoglou took care of business. Drisbioti also did very well. There were some disappointments though. I expected better things from Frantzeskakis, Karalis, Tzengo and the triple jumpers.