Phantis Forums

IAAF World Championships (Outdoor)

Ziaka

Somewhere I read that in September/October the average humidity is around 75 to 80%. If I remember right the two times I visited Houston during the summer the humidity was around 80%, so I would expect similar conditions. I read that inside the stadium there will be no problems due to state of the art climate control. It is the marathon and walking races that will be problematic despite the fact the will start after local midnight. 

When did you go to Houston during the summer? Here around late September/October, the weather isn't too hot and humidity can be less than 70% (dew point average around 65 to 69 degrees), it all depends on the overall weather pattern. Doha weather is still brutal at this time of year. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Some very good news 
Tentoglou manage to qualify on his third attempt at 8.00 meters to take part in his first World Championship Finals. 
Both Stefanidi and Kyriakopoulou have no problem going over 4.60 to take them to the finals. Crazy enough, 17 women vaulters are going to the finals. Skarevli put up a great effort, but not enough to qualify as she manage to get 69.65 on her final attempt. You were right Blackhawk, she needed to break her PB to get in. Tonight, the weather condition should be alright for the women's marathon as the temp. is expected to be around 85 degrees. I pray the runners will be in good spirits and not suffer badly from dehydration. 

Tomorrow, Filippidis and Karalis competing in the men's pole vault qualification. 
Automatic standard mark is 5.75, Filippidis recently got his season's best of 5.75 at The Match - Europe vs. USA, he has a good chance to qualify. Karalis will need to break his PB of 5.71 in order to make the finals. Both Papamichail and Makri will race the 50 Km race walk at 23:30 local time. Hoping for a good showing and no DNF. Tentoglou will be our first Greek athlete to contest for a medal. Good luck! 

Stefanidi gets bronze medal for Greece, finishing with a mark of 4.85 (Season's best)
Both Sidorova and Morris were impressive today, Sidorova snatched gold from Morris on her last attempt at 4.95 to win gold, Morris settles for silver at 4.90. 

Today, three Greek athletes will perform the track events 
Spanoudaki in the 200 meters, she will have to break her PB of 23.16 in order to reach the semifinals 
Vasiliou in the 400 meters, she will need to run about 52.50 to reach the semifinals
Douvalidis should qualify for the semifinals, even around 13.52 is OK. 

Tomorrow in the men's hammer throw, Frantzeskakis will be throwing in Group A, while Anastasakis will be in Group B. Both have to throw well over 75 meters in order to qualify. 76.50 is the automatic standard qualifying mark. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Well, I was wrong, Vasiliou would be needing a time under 52 seconds in order to advance into the semifinals 
Poor showing from both sprinters, no surprise there 
Spanoudaki finished 7th in her heats at 23.48
Vasiliou finished 7th in her heats at 52.31

Not a good day for our hammer throwers, Frantzeskakis finished with a mark of 72.98. He has work to do in getting use to the 7.25 hammer implement. Anastasakis is what I consider him as an underperformer. I honestly felt he was going to throw better than 76 meters today like he did at the European Throwing Cup and qualify. Other than the European Championship, he chokes in World Championships and the Olympic games. 75.07 was his mark btw, and that was no excuse from an athlete who was very consistent this season with his 75 to 76 meter throws. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Well now, Anagnostopoulou finished her qualification in Group A with a SB of 59.91, currently in 8th place for the moment. So, she needs only 4 throwers to throw over 59.91 in Group B in order to grab the 12th and final spot, which I doubt it will happen. 

Edited by Molon Lave

As expected, Greece finishes the Doha World Championships with 1 bronze medal. This was pretty disappointing showing for most of the Greek athletes. I think the 2021 IAAF World Championship in Eugene Oregon U.S.A. one will be an exciting one. I am planning to attend that event. It's a beautiful state. 

Yeah. Pretty much as expected. Was hoping Stefanidi would get better than bronze. She will need to start jumping over 4.90 m if she wants to medal in Tokyo.

I expected at least one of the male pole vaulters to make the final. Filippidis came close, but I think after Tokyo he will retire. At least we have the youngster Karalis to carry the torch.

Also expected Tentoglou to do better in the final. He needed to jump over 8 meters.

Everyone else did ok.

I was gutted big time of Anastasakis not making the cut, as I have posted earlier, he had a very good season, his stability and release point has improved, but not performing well enough to qualify in a major finals in either Olympics or World Championship. The qualifying standard in those 2 competitions is brutally tough compare to the European Championship. I envision him one day to throw over 76 to 78 meters. Just look at the hammer throwers today like Kokhan, Henriksen, Cienfuegos, Halaez, and Bigot? Those guys have really gotten better. 

• 1 year later...

Three world records have been broken this year in track and field. 

Ryan Crouser USA 23.37 meters - Men's shot put (Previous record 23.12)
Sydney McLaughlin USA 51.90 seconds - Women's 400 meter hurdles (Previous record 52.16) 
Karsten Warholm NOR 46.70 seconds - Men's 400 meter hurdles (Previous record 46.78)