Phantis Forums

Olympiakos Vs AEK

Original 21

It's the first derby of the season, it's a huge game for both teams as we are coming off a tie against Iraklis, and Olympiakos coming off of a loss against Larissa. We can not afford to lose this game if we want to be contenders all season long. Unfortunately, it looks like Almeida will not be playing in this game as it's Wednesday and he's still doing therapy on his back. There's a chance he could make an appearance as a substitute if he practices Thursday and Friday. He's having this nagging injury because  we waited too long to bring him in, if he had a full pre-season worth of training he would not have this issue I think. Mantalos got a special protective mask and has practiced fully all week, so he will 100% be a starter.

Anyways, Ketsbaia hasn't tested on a lineup for this game yet, but I would go with: Anestis, Galo, Lescott, Chygrinski, Didac, Simoes, Johanson, Christodoulopoulos, Mantalos, Patito, and Bakasetas. 

With those four creative players in attack, we should have no problem creating some chances to score. It sucks that Almeida is hurt because I really think he would have done a lot of damage with Patito, Lazaros, and Mantalos feeding him the ball and because Olympiakos' center backs are not good. I know pretty much everyone is sick of Didac because he's garbage in attack, but Diaz hasn't played a game yet and throwing him in for his debut in a derby is a bad idea. 

The key for us will be getting the ball into the box, we hardly got the ball into the box against Iraklis and that's something Ketsbaia needs to work on. Defensively, Lescott and Simoes are getting very close to 100% if they haven't already so we should see a solid defensive performance, no more silly chances because of amateur mistakes like we saw last year in Karaiskaki. Another key component is that they are playing APOEL in Europa League on Thursday, they will be tired and we need to take advantage of that with our speed on the wings with Lazaros, and Patito.  

• Like it 1

I saw the second half against iraklis. Some really good ball movement but that end product is not there at the moment. Sometimes when a striker doesn't exert a presence, his teammates don't look for him and attacks seem to lose their purpose.

If bento goes a 4-4-2 with cambiasso and that cement shoes serb, he won't be able to contain your midfield. Assuming he comes to his senses and adds a third man in front to give them something in the middle, then they will fair much better. Who that is, i have no idea. In terms of quality, they don't have another player like chori although i don't know what role he has these days. Marin is very talented, but he can't play more than 35-40min.

I'll be surprised if they beat APOEL and ill be just as surprised if you guys don't get a result on monday

• Like it 1

Almeida confirmed won't play just now.

I'd go with the line up Original21 has above, still a very strong like up which can cause them problems. Our front 4 have speed and creativity to hurt Oly on the break. Mandalos will be targeted no doubt.

Their defence for me is questionable especially their CBs so Bakasetas who we all know is AEK to the bone will rise up to this match upfront for us.

Getting pumped for this one, considering doing a sneaky and maybe going to the game as I won't see Aek play again due to NT match then leave for Australia.

• Like it 1

They're down 0-1 to APOEL at half time but they have been by far the better team, it's only a matter of time before they tie it up. 

20 minutes into the second half and they've been playing like garbage. Only decent players are Cambiasso and Marin.

Edited by Original 21

Olympiakos did nothing in the second half. They're gonna give it their all on Sunday, its do or die for them. Hopefully Ketsbaia has everyone ready and can put the nail in the coffin. Marin, Cambiasso, Cardozo, and Martins are the only ones that really scare me, the rest are nothing special, and who knows if Cardozo is even at 100% yet.

Hearing Ketsbaia tried out Simeos Johanssen and Lambro in the middle, I sincerely hope this isn't true no use going defensive against them when they are struggling. After watching Oly play last night we can take them, they have a terrible defence. Only players who we should worry about are Cambiasso,Marin and Ideye the rest are average at best.

Nobody knows or understands...

An interesting thing is that Last year on match day 4 Dellas got sacked after he took out Simoes in Karaiskaki. This year, in our 4th game of the season, Ketsbaia is thinking of benching Simoes in Karaiskaki... If we loose heavily, and he benches Simoes, does the Greek mentality get him sacked this early in the season? I don't like him as a coach, but it would be way too early to sack him. The question is, have Melissanidis and Bajavic learned from last years coaching fiasco? 

• Like it 1

That was my point above in regards to last season, we were down by 1 and Dellas went for it took out Simeos and it opened us up and we copped another 3.

Big mistake if there is any truth to this.

Oly is in shambles right now,besides their last 2 results in losses without scoring, Fortounis was seen on tv swearing/cussing toward the coach, bust ups in the dressing room after the game and the m#$%! karafla wants to experiment. Gamiseta.

• Like it 1

Big game tomorrow. In years past, these are games where we have dropped points.  Not having a solid back up for Almeida will hurt, but Mantalos back in the lineup will help for sure.  Seems like we're always talking about the lack of a solid striker!  As we saw last week, Pekhart is not the answer.

I hope that the rumors of Lambro in midfield are just that, rumors!!

PAME AEK!!!

• Like it 1

I'm hoping Ketsbaia is playing head games with the Lambro move but I highly doubt it also. Let's hope it works out, but I just don't get what he expects him to do at DCM, if he's marking Fortounis then he will prob get the job done as Fortounis has been terrible and burnt by Bento so far.

As for up top word here is Bakasetas will start up top.

Behind him will be Mandalos, Patito and Lazaros which is a great 3 to have, they can hurt Oly on the break.

Defence isn't a worry as we have been very good there, my only concern is if Ideye starts for Oly Chygrynsky needs to stay on him as I can't see Lescott keeping up with his pace and runs in behind the defence.

F***EN PUMPED.

Original is going hotel tonight to wish the players all the best for the game.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Original Sydney said:

I'm hoping Ketsbaia is playing head games with the Lambro move but I highly doubt it also. Let's hope it works out, but I just don't get what he expects him to do at DCM, if he's marking Fortounis then he will prob get the job done as Fortounis has been terrible and burnt by Bento so far.

As for up top word here is Bakasetas will start up top.

Behind him will be Mandalos, Patito and Lazaros which is a great 3 to have, they can hurt Oly on the break.

Defence isn't a worry as we have been very good there, my only concern is if Ideye starts for Oly Chygrynsky needs to stay on him as I can't see Lescott keeping up with his pace and runs in behind the defence.

F***EN PUMPED.

Original is going hotel tonight to wish the players all the best for the game.

This is what i was thinking,

Start with a  4-3-2-1, since fortounis, martins and marin will all start. This will allow you to crowd the midfield and protect on the flanks since one of your DM can rush over to help out your fullback. Your 2 CAMs will overwhelm the serb asking their CB to close down. Play a quick striker at all times to exploit botia and da costa's lack of pace

Wait until marin and fortounis tire and change to a 4-2-2-2 to go for the kill. Again you overwhelm them in the middle and there CB's can't handle a second striker. You risk it on the flanks but it's not as if they have great fullbacks.If they had mazuaku, elbadellaoui you could never do this.

• Like it 1