Phantis Forums

Friendly: Netherlands Vs. Greece(1 September 2016, Philips Stadion, Eindhoven)

Omonoia9

What is needed is a dominant DM, Karagounis style. Here's hoping either of Samaris, Petsos, Kourbelis or say, Siopis come through to something like what Kara offered.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

I wonder if his leanness has to do with his peak form. I can't put my finger as to why it would help though, he still plays like a skillfull big man. he does seem more mobile tho

I always said on here have faith in the guy, he's a class above our other options.

1789. I love your posts but I am completely opposed to Samaris not playing for the greater good of the team. I appreciate you thinking outside the box for that though.

Samaris is our best midfielder hands down and will be for the next 5 years! (bold prediction)

He is a stunning athlete but he's not just relying on his physicality and athletism. He reads the game very well (he's capable of interceptions at any moment) and has potential to be a good maestro starting plays deep from our side AND he's a good makeshift CB to patch up our dodgy left side!

We absolutely need him in there. Not to mention he's the stud of studs and people need to know how handsome greek men are! ;)

a nice midfield could be

Mitroglou

Fortounis Ninis Mantalos

Tachtsidis Samaris

I think tach and samaris just need time to gel, they're not that similar besides Samaris maestro abilities, tach gets the edge on there. Loading up the attacking mids with 3 will give mitro plenty of creativity and he's double footed so we're very lucky to have him up there.

um did ya'll see kpaps in there? kid is a BEAST of beasts. even if the kid misses a year of football valton mesa and watch. he's pretty much a natural at this point. his headers are like loukoumi

I say the same for fetfa. fetfa can play in 2nd division gilbratar, he will always be an amazing winger option.

Edited by georgelaz

35 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

I wonder if his leanness has to do with his peak form. I can't put my finger as to why it would help though, he still plays like a skillfull big man. he does seem more mobile tho

I always said on here have faith in the guy, he's a class above our other options.

1789. I love your posts but I am completely opposed to Samaris not playing for the greater good of the team. I appreciate you thinking outside the box for that though.

Samaris is our best midfielder hands down and will be for the next 5 years! (bold prediction)

He is a stunning athlete but he's not just relying on his physicality and athletism. He reads the game very well (he's capable of interceptions at any moment) and has potential to be a good maestro starting plays deep from our side AND he's a good makeshift CB to patch up our dodgy left side!

We absolutely need him in there. Not to mention he's the stud of studs and people need to know how handsome greek men are! ;)

a nice midfield could be

Mitroglou

Fortounis Ninis Mantalos

Tachtsidis Samaris

I think tach and samaris just need time to gel, they're not that similar besides Samaris maestro abilities, tach gets the edge on there. Loading up the attacking mids with 3 will give mitro plenty of creativity and he's double footed so we're very lucky to have him up there.

um did ya'll see kpaps in there? kid is a BEAST of beasts. even if the kid misses a year of football valton mesa and watch. he's pretty much a natural at this point. his headers are like loukoumi

I say the same for fetfa. fetfa can play in 2nd division gilbratar, he will always be an amazing winger option.

Maybe It has something to do with his form and anxiety.

2 years ago becoming a flop right after you were supposed to be the best CF Greece has lately produced, and not managing to make impact in teams like Fuhlam and even Olympiakos could have produced a lot of stress on him. Seeing himself  being considered a super star in a better league, playing regularly on CL and winning strong and meaningful titles is probably the change we see. As many mentioned, he looks more confident than ever and he actually helps the midfield by keeping the ball and not just being a box forward.

However, because im used to κρατάω μικρό καλάθι (translate than someone), let's not rush. Yes the NT DOES seem changed. Even the fact that AngryBoy Tzavellas said "this NT is a family" is an improvement. We have the quality and quantity of players to do well in the upcomming campaign, but let's keep a realistic target. 

• Like it 1

That role I thought was with Pirlo-Tziolis, as far as great looking specimen of Greek manhood, can't be for his superior vision and organisational passing and great play through the middle skillset even.

I will admit in my Wa Wa Nee, Mark Wahlberg, New Kids on The Block and Milli Vanilli days, I used to over-work my mirror with brushes, dryers and hair streaks too. Similar to Samaris and Mitro-Mykonos. Marrickville Mauler, need your opinion on this too.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

18 hours ago, ausgreek said:

What is needed is a dominant DM, Karagounis style. Here's hoping either of Samaris, Petsos, Kourbelis or say, Siopis come through to something like what Kara offered.

He is not exactly a DM mid, but Samari has improved quite a bit at Benfica, and will be very important to this NT squad. It's too bad Maniati as not found himself a team this summer, because I don't see at this point what good DM option we have to pair Samari. Kourbeli I have always heard great things about but have not seen him play at all. Even though towards the end of his career everyone (including myself) bashed the crap out of him, Katsourani has left a big hole in that midfield.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, aek66 said:

since when was karagouni any kind of dominant defensive midfielder? when he would try and defend, he was a card magnet, missing - through suspension, 2 matches at euro 2004.

Yeah I don't recall him ever being a defensive midfielder. In his latter years for the NT he played deeper as a play maker.

10 hours ago, ausgreek said:

That role I thought was with Pirlo-Tziolis, as far as great looking specimen of Greek manhood, can't be for his superior vision and organisational passing and great play through the middle skillset even.

I will admit in my Wa Wa Nee, Mark Wahlberg, New Kids on The Block and Milli Vanilli days, I used to over-work my mirror with brushes, dryers and hair streaks too. Similar to Samaris and Mitro-Mykonos. Marrickville Mauler, need your opinion on this too.

Do you need some stimulation ?

• Like it 1

20 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Maybe It has something to do with his form and anxiety.

2 years ago becoming a flop right after you were supposed to be the best CF Greece has lately produced, and not managing to make impact in teams like Fuhlam and even Olympiakos could have produced a lot of stress on him. Seeing himself  being considered a super star in a better league, playing regularly on CL and winning strong and meaningful titles is probably the change we see. As many mentioned, he looks more confident than ever and he actually helps the midfield by keeping the ball and not just being a box forward.

I we had this Mitro in Brasil totally different outcome..not only did he looked fit..played the ball down..quick feet found the right pass everytime..hiw play was 10 on 10

• Like it 1

Mitro was great against the Netherlands but let's stop judging guys based on one good game. Mitro needs to be consistent. Yes it was a first step in the right direction but we need to stop getting so high on guys based on one game. Holebas didn't have a great game at all but his speed is so crucial to us that I will give him a pass and hope he plays better going forward. Karnezies needs to be a back up for this team not a starter as I would rather take my chance with Kapino in goal. Maniatis what he lacks In talent makes up with passion and heart and that's a good guy to have on the field. Over all a very satisfying performance co spidering what our results have been and who we've lost to. What worries me about this Greek team besides our defense is we seem to play down to our competition look at this,

Poland draw

Romania draw 

Romania lost by a penalty (winnable game)

Turkey Draw

Hungary Won

Hungary Draw

FI lost

NI Lost

Finlad Lost

Luxembourg Lost

Australia won

Netherlands Won

This concerns me when we play games against the weaker teams I feel like Greece don't bring there A game and take these teams for granted.

Didn't watch the game but having seen the line-ups, I think Skibbe got things (more or less) right. It's clear that Fortounis and Mantalos are automatics at this point. Not too enamoured with Holevas in midfield but I can understand why Skibbe might not necessarily trust him defensively as a pure LB (yet still want to include him in the 11). Tzavellas is slow and getting slower so nothing more than a stop-gap measure until someone better comes along.

It was worrying to see in some of those highlights how easily Holland carved through our midfield. I understand why Skibbe went with the Maniatis-Samaris combo but as I mentioned in an earlier thread, Maniatis is a player that needs to be phased out (especially if not playing regular first-team football). That said, who replaces him? Tachstidis? Petsos? Maybe experiment with Papadopoulos as DM again? 

• Like it 1

^^^

I like all of those options myself over Maniatis, whom I still like.  Thinking Petsos right now.  But eventually want to see displaced sooner rather than later.  Unless Tachtidis can raise his consistency and form. 

Ye near the end Kara played in a deeplying position, looked like a dm with accurate passing which were dominant plays, dictating play for Greece, he was that dominant, we fell in a heap and didn't recover for two years.

That's more what I mean.