Phantis Forums

Friendly: Netherlands Vs. Greece(1 September 2016, Philips Stadion, Eindhoven)

Omonoia9

A little over a week to go as the ethniki visit the Oranje in Einhoven. Probably the two biggest teams that missed out on the Euros this summer, this will be tough.

These are the 36 players that are preselected by the Dutch coach:

Patrick van Aanholt (Sunderland), Riechedly Bazoer (Ajax), Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Daley Blind (Manchester United), Jeffrey Bruma (VfL Wolfsburg), Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Jordy Clasie (Southampton), Memphis Depay (Manchester United), Virgil van Dijk (Southampton), Mitchell Dijks (Ajax), Bas Dost (VfL Wolfsburg), Jorrit Hendrix (PSV), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Daryl Janmaat (Newcastle United), Vincent Janssen (Tottenham Hotspur), Luuk de Jong (PSV), Rick Karsdorp (Feyenoord), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Timo Letschert (Sassuolo), Jurgen Locadia (PSV), Luciano Narsingh (PSV), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moskou), Davy Propper (PSV), Bart Ramselaar (FC Utrecht), Jairo Riedewald (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Maarten Stekelenburg (Everton), Kevin Strootman (AS Roma), Kenny Tete (Ajax), Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Ron Vlaar (AZ), Michel Vorm (Tottenham Hotspur), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool), Jetro Willems (PSV) en Jeroen Zoet (PSV).

Skibbe has invited the following players:

Καπίνο, Καρνέζης, Γλύκος, Παπασταθόπουλος, Μανωλάς, Οικονόμου, Κυριάκος Παπαδόπουλος, Τοροσίδης, Τζαβέλλας, σταφυλίδης, Μανιάτης, Σάμαρης, Τζιόλης, Πέτσος, Χολέμπας, Μπακασέτας, Μάνταλος, Γιαννιώτας, φορτούνης, Διαμαντάκος, Καρέλης, Μήτρογλου και Βέλλιος.

a win will be a nice psychological boost for the players but also for the fans ourselves.
But last time we did something that was considered an overachievement (a.k.a. WC 2014 run) we spent almost 2 years without a win after that. I think a draw is both a realistic and good thing to target for. But to be fair, seeing their squad , apart from Huntelaar, Depay, Schneider and Wijnaldum , i don't see anyone else worth to fear (and for Depay and Wijnaldum I still aint sure if they are worth their money or not). The Dutch defence is and has always been a joke so scoring a goal should not be too hard. Not conceding more than 3 is what Skibbe should be working on. I want to see how this coach has worked our defending on set pieces. We have been bad at this for the last 4 years, I hope he/they noticed and made preparations.

4 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

a win will be a nice psychological boost for the players but also for the fans ourselves.
But last time we did something that was considered an overachievement (a.k.a. WC 2014 run) we spent almost 2 years without a win after that. I think a draw is both a realistic and good thing to target for. But to be fair, seeing their squad , apart from Huntelaar, Depay, Schneider and Wijnaldum , i don't see anyone else worth to fear (and for Depay and Wijnaldum I still aint sure if they are worth their money or not). The Dutch defence is and has always been a joke so scoring a goal should not be too hard. Not conceding more than 3 is what Skibbe should be working on. I want to see how this coach has worked our defending on set pieces. We have been bad at this for the last 4 years, I hope he/they noticed and made preparations.

Defense used to be a strength of ours. Slowing down the Dutch will be tough with this group.

^ I agree.. The reason we have been so successful in the past has been because of our defence which is not our strength anymore.. In the past we could have handled the Netherlands and shut them down and maybe pull out a late goal. The reason our results have been so poor the last two years is mainly do to our week defence we've played. We know we've never been an offensive team but now our defence has gone to s%$#! too. Believe it or not but this is the reason we have been so brutal and have dropped in the FIFA rankings and its do to our lack of defence.

While dipping my paximathi in my tsai to vounou, I agreed to the fact that even with Otto's defenders, we copped 4, so we need offence too. With Fortounis, Mantalos, Karelis Mykonos and long range-man Maniatis, we can really hurt Netherlands, especially with diver not playing too.

^That sucks... I would rather play them with their best players in the line up. We really need to see where we're at. yes a win would be great epesially for our confidence but I would rather see hard fought 0-0 draw with their best line up then a win with their B squad. 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:09 PM, Molon Lave said:

Greece have never won against Netherlands believe it or not. 

Why would I not believe it? Holland is a world class soccer country and we are not. The closest we came was a 1:1 tie in 1987, and that is the only game against them that we did not lose.

7 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Why would I not believe it? Holland is a world class soccer country and we are not. The closest we came was a 1:1 tie in 1987, and that is the only game against them that we did not lose.

I was in the stadium (De Kuip, Rotterdam, home of Feyenoord) that game. Saravakos scored the opening-goal. It still is the only goal Greece scored against Oranje.

I predict 1-0 for the dutch or 0-0.

but, we have a good chance since they're missing key players.

they're defense is good. it's not approaching world class like their offense, but it's always been good. and they play with 3 at the back don't they? that extra man should more than compensate

Edited by georgelaz

10 hours ago, Dutch Eagle said:

I was in the stadium (De Kuip, Rotterdam, home of Feyenoord) that game. Saravakos scored the opening-goal. It still is the only goal Greece scored against Oranje.

It was for Euro 1988 qualification and we all know that the Dutch would end up winning the tournament.

Saravakos' goal was a classic. I saw a clip of the goal recently and I recall that the supporters were going crazy when Greece scored. They were booing and shouting. Dutch Eagle, what are your memories if the match?