Phantis Forums

Forum Software Upgrade

Lazarus

One new feature that we are introducing is 'Clubs'. Clubs is a brand new way of supporting sub-communities within the forum. We haven't tested extensively, but we are hoping this latest feature will become a hit. It will be refined as we go along.

We'll start with 3 kind of clubs:

Open club - Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join.

Closed club - Clubs that anyone can see in the directory, but joining must be approved by a Club Leader or Club Moderator. Non-club-members who view the club will only see the member list - not the recent activity or content areas.

Private club - Clubs that do not show in public, and users must be invited by a Club Leader or Club Moderator

Each club has three levels of user:

Leader - A leader has all of the permissions of a moderator, and can add other moderators. They can also add content areas (see below). The club owner is automatically a leader.

Moderators - Moderators, as the name implies, have the ability to moderate content posted within the club. As the site administrator, you can define which moderator tools can be used. You could, for example, prevent any content being deleted from clubs, but allow it to be hidden. Moderators can also remove members from a club.

Users - Anyone else that joins the club.

Site administrators and moderators, with the appropriate permissions, are able to moderator content in any Club regardless of whether they are a member of it. 

For closed clubs, there's an approval process. Users can request to join and the request must be approved by a leader. Leaders get a notification when a user requests to join; the user gets a notification when their request is approved or denied.

Examples for Clubs would be something like:

Melbourne Greeks, or Rebetika Music Lovers, or Phantis Pizza Lovers! It could be geographical defined. i.e. New York Dudes,  US East Coast PAOK fans or in broad context i.e. Mensa Society Members. Let you imaginations go wild!

To introduce the feature, I will start a Club with a subject that I love: Guitar Players

At this discovery phase, any premium member can start their own club, but it will require approval before becoming active. Again, we'll adjust things as we go along - one step at a time.

Clubs is available as a tab on the upper navigation area.

Also, to celebrate 20 years, Phantis introduces Premium Membership.

A Premium Member will enjoy the following benefits:

• Ad free access
  • Use Signature
  • Upload a cover photo
  • Increased PM storage space
  • Can see names of member reactions to their posts (who likes and who doesn't their posts)
  • Extend the time window where they can edit their own message
  • Access to special areas and content
  • Access to Community Calendar
  • Can create their own blog where they can post their very own content.
  • Start their own Club

We will provide a detailed list of benefits in the coming days.

To celebrate 20 years, all current members will be given the opportunity to become Premium Membership for one year, if they choose to do so by June 15, 2017.

To become a Premium Member, visit the Store area, and add Premium Membership ( $24.00 per year) to the cart and proceed to check out. On check out enter the coupon code: PHANTIS-20-YEARS

When you say "post" do you mean upload or reference an image that resides on another site? If you mean 'upload', I don't think you can. I believe this was never an option on these forums. to reference an image from another server (website) you just paste the image address as such:

https://img.bleacherreport.net/cms/media/image/41/81/a8/5b/a586/4d40/b020/15171525fdbb/crop_exact_GettyImages-687508544.jpg?w=460&h=259&q=75

crop_exact_GettyImages-687508544.jpg?w=4

Now, all members have full access to customizing how forums are displayed. Your selection is available from the upper part of the main forum page.

2017-05-26_13-50.jpg

Table view is the view that these forums have always had.

2017-05-26_13-50-04.jpg

A Grid view lets you see the forums as cards is a grid.

2017-05-26_13-50-31.jpg

And finally a more dynamic and fluid view that allows you guys to get right to the meat of ythis community - the topics.

Lazare,

I seem to have a problem with formatting when I post a game topic following the software update. 

When I copied and pasted the formatted information from my archives the formatting remained the same in the post. See the following example:

When I copy and paste the same now, I get the following mess:

MATCHUP:           A.E.K.  Athens - P.A.O.K. ThessalonikiCOMPETITION:    Superleague – Playoffs - Round 5DATE:                    28-May-2017TIME:                     20:30 GR  (17:30 GMT, 12:30 CDT, 03:30 AEST next day)CITY/STADIUM:   Athens – OAKA (Capacity: 69,638)REFEREES:            Dimitris Thanos (Grevena) - Ilias Alexeas (Messinia), Iordanis Dimitriadis (Kastoria)TELEVISION:        Novasports 1 (Greece, Cyprus, Albania, Bulgaria) Antenna Satellite/Pacific (USA, Canada/Australia)

A.E.K.  vs. P.A.O.K.  history:

Superleague

2016-2017:  3:0 - Attendance: 11,8792015-2016:  0:0 - Attendance: 10,880 (PLAYOFFS)2015-2016:  1:0 - Attendance: 13,7922014-2015:  AEK played in lower divisions2013-2014:  AEK played in lower divisions2012-2013:  0:0 - Attendance: 15,1052011-2012:  2:0 - Attendance: 8,293 (PLAYOFFS)2011-2012:  0:2 (Georgiadis, Athanasiadis) - Attendance: 6,1102010-2011:  3:0 - Attendance: no fans  (PLAYOFFS)2010-2011:  4:0 - Attendance: 5,5182009-2010:  0:0 - Attendance: 11,807 (PLAYOFFS)2009-2010:  1:0 - Attendance: 15,9422008-2009:  3:1 (Ivic) - Attendance: 14,831 (PLAYOFFS)2008-2009:  1:0 - Attendance: 19,1942007-2008:  2:0 - Attendance: 24,2572006-2007:  0:0 - Attendance: 23,1092005-2006:  2:1 (Mieciel) - Attendance: 24,677

Is there a fix to that? 

Can you point me to where I can get what you call " formatted information from my archives " so I can test? I need to be able to reproduce in order to see if there is a workaround.

Thanks.

Have you tried switching to 'Source' when copying, then copy the HTML and post it in the new topic - again in 'Source' view as HTML. Then you can switch to WYSIWIG.

( By the way, just had to change your profile cover photo - I hope you like! )

45 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Can you point me to where I can get what you call " formatted information from my archives " so I can test? I need to be able to reproduce in order to see if there is a workaround.

Thanks.

I sent you a word file for you to test.

BTW, love the profile photo.

• 3 years later...

There was an attempt to a software/system upgrade. Things did go wrong, and had to restore an earlier backup version. Some newer posts might have been lost. Sorry guys.

Will attempt another upgrade over this coming weekend, so we will need to close the forums for a few hours.

On Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020, the forums will not be available from 1:00PM - 5:00PM.

Still working on improving the forum interface and functionality.

Added a feature to preview new topic and comment posting prior to posting. Maybe it won't improve the quality of the posts, but it will certainly help make them look prettier! 😎

One more little new feature is the Topic View Summary that appears at the topic sidebar area - a bird's eye view of activity within the topic. It very quickly lets you know how old the topic is and how long it has been since the last reply. This context is essential if you are unwittingly replying to an older topic.

Image 2020-08-18 at 11.04.25 AM.png

On 8/25/2020 at 5:53 PM, Lazarus said:

Still working on improving the forum interface and functionality.

Added a feature to preview new topic and comment posting prior to posting. Maybe it won't improve the quality of the posts, but it will certainly help make them look prettier! 😎

I like it!

• 1 year later...

For security purposes the way a user logs in has changed. A user is required to log in with their email address - not their user name as it was until now.

Allowing users to log in with a display name can represent a security weakness for our community because display names are public information and malicious users may attempt to login to multiple accounts with common passwords until they find an account for which the passwords work.

Also, two factor authentication using handlers for Google Authenticator and Security Questions is now available to select user groups. (premium members, moderators)

Two Factor Authentication allows members of the community to secure their accounts using an additional layer of security in addition to their normal username and password. Users will not be presented with any two factor options unless at least one of these handlers is enabled.

Those with access will find two-factor authentication under their account settings - Security & Privacy:

image.png

• Like it 1