Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

3 hours ago, jvc said:

I think that this black lives matters phenomenon is getting to become what it really is.....a total joke!   To add,  who the hell do they think they're?  The people didn't vote them in....so why are they speaking on behalf for the public? Get lost and get a life,  a bunch of losers!!!  Lets close this topic down....I don't think anyone here but one will miss it.

I think many of your ideas and musings are laughable too, but you don't hear me asking for topics you post in to be locked do you?

18 hours ago, paokara777 said:

Of course the Cronulla Riots kinda woke up the racist streak in the current generation of Aussies, and although the racism should have been directed towards Middle Easterners (Lebs etc) since they were the ones causing the "trouble" in Cronulla, I heard reports of Italians and Greeks and other Europeans being bashed.

Also at the time i was living in Wollongong and i got a SMS message calling on all "WOGS" to stand up to the "SKIPS" and join the fight. At the time i was confused! This had nothing to do with wogs! It was between Aussies and Middle easterners. Not sure if the racism towards Wogs was unearthed that day or if people are just naive and lump middle easterners in with Europeans.

Cronulla was weird.  Just seemed to come out of nowhere although I'm sure with more analysis or talking to people local to the area it would be more clear.  Maybe the pubs just ran out beer ?  That's a guaranteed way to get Skips to start a riot.

50c7ae2697c7be89.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tzatziki said:

What writer and you and his supporters fail to understand the simple fact that this movement is about holding police accountable by the justice system for taking black lives. I reject his article.

Holding them accountable? OK.

How do they aim to achieve their goals? Killing cops? Rioting?

Do you know the strategic methods BLM has decided to act on to achieve the goals? Have they outlined them? (not being sarcastic, i just am curious if they have a plan and if it is transparent)

5 minutes ago, paokara777 said:

(not being sarcastic, i just am curious if they have a plan and if it is transparent)

I am not their spokesperson, if you are curious the information is not hard to find file paokara.

12 minutes ago, paokara777 said:

ave they outlined them? (not being sarcastic, i just am curious if they have a plan and if it is transparent)

Black Lives Matter activists have released a 10 point plan to address abuses by US police forces.

• Ending "broken windows" policing, which aggressively polices minor crimes in an attempt to stop larger ones
  • using community oversight for misconduct rather than having police decide what consequences officers face
  • making standards for reporting police use of deadly force
  • independently investigating and prosecuting police misconduct
  • having the racial makeup of police departments reflect the communities they serve
  • requiring officers to wear body cameras
  • providing more training for police officers
  • ending for-profit policing practices
  • ending the police use of military equipment
  • implementing police union contracts that hold officers accountable for misconduct

Nothing all that cryptic. 

Edited by JimAdams
  • Like it 2

1 minute ago, Tzatziki said:

I am not their spokesperson, if you are curious the information is not hard to find file paokara.

OK sure you're not, but you sound like a supporter, and criticize anyone who doesn't agree with them, right?

I found their demands, here they are:

1. End the war on black people.

there is no war on black people, actually Police shooting of Black people is at an all time low, even though black crime is at an all time high, which means actually the police are getting less likely to kill a black person.

2. Reparations for past and continuing harms.

There already are. They are done case to case basis. For instance, the Ferguson killing of mike Brown was trialed and found that the Police officer was not in fault. However the Terence Crutcher shooting (which also put to trial) the officer was charged with First Degree Manslaughter.

3. Divestment from the institutions that criminalize, cage and harm black people; and investment in the education, health and safety of black people.

Which institutions criminalize cage and harm black people? I hope they aren't asking for all Blacks to be exempt from going to prison if they commit a heinous crime and instead be put in school? No. Wrong way to go about this. Free schooling for ANY race is already given to a citizen of America. This is a free country, the parents should get them to school and make sure they study. I witnessed a black family at an airport sitting down helping their 6 year old girl with her homework last week (Chicago Airport). Are they suggesting the government take the role of the parent in that case?

4. Economic justice for all and a reconstruction of the economy to ensure our communities have collective ownership, not merely access.

Collective ownership of what? So this is basically handing out homes to blacks?

5. Community control of the laws, institutions and policies that most impact us.

So give the black community control over the laws? OK I think maybe you could train police in how to police the current laws. Maybe 'picking' on black people just because they are black. For instance, pulling over a car full of black teens wearing red bandannas instead of the car directly behind them full of white girls. If they are going to call them random, they have to be random. Maybe create some sort of randomizer (in Australia the police cars have a scanner in them that pick out cars based on their Licencen Plate and tell the driver of the police cruiser to pull that car over - that could take the bias out of choosing)

6. Independent black political power and black self-determination in all areas of society.

Politicians are voted in based on how good they are at what they do. We as Greeks who created democracy know all too well how it works, and it works well. If Black People want a Black politician, VOTE HIM IN! They did it with Obama.

• Like it 1

7 minutes ago, JimAdams said:

Black Lives Matter activists have released a 10 point plan to address abuses by US police forces.

• Ending "broken windows" policing, which aggressively polices minor crimes in an attempt to stop larger ones
  • using community oversight for misconduct rather than having police decide what consequences officers face
  • having the racial makeup of police departments reflect the communities they serve
  • implementing police union contracts that hold officers accountable for misconduct

Some of those plans don't resolve some of their goals.

This one is rather ominous:

using community oversight for misconduct rather than having police decide what consequences officers face

Do they want the community to 'sentience' the police officer based on what the community is enraged about? So for instance the Michael Brown police officer would be what? Sentenced to Death or Life in prison or whatever? That's ridiculous.

On 2017-02-13 at 10:56 AM, aek66 said:

at last night grammys, some black rappers called trump, 'agent orange'. ok, you are making fun of someone's skin color?? 

If you don't know by now that they are referencing Trump suntan color then why bother posting at all. If you do know, stop wasting everybody's time with your hogwash posting.

buslista5.jpg

9 hours ago, JimAdams said:

So, what is really the argument here, in this thread? One side argues the police is the victim and that blacks are unreasonable in their behavior and demand. The other side (those here not everyone with BLM) argues that blacks have been discriminated and abused since the creation of the US. This doesn't give them the right to break the law, but who the hell is arguing that anyway?  I see too many straw-man arguments here: some people construct something extreme (or imaginary) to beat up and somehow prove their point.

Now which side is closer to the truth? I'd like to ask the proud Hellenes to put themselves in the position of blacks, with the experience of 200+ years their group has had, and tell me how most of you would behave? And, would you own those who use violence (in rhetoric and action) against those who have been mistreating you?  

I haven't seen anyone here who supports justice arguing for brutality. With the wide availability of video cameras and smart phones it's been easier to expose abuse, which abuse was undoubtedly went on for years without remedy, because it was often the police word that counted.

• Like it 3

^^^

but JVC that's a different argument we've seen in this thread. your approach merits a serious discussion, which I'm afraid can't happen here. I'd agree that the black leadership has failed their community; single-parent and poor is a bad combination, but we have to find out why.   Not trying to absolve anyone of personal responsibility, but conditions and history matter. Normalizing something bad ain't good. [and, on a side but similar note,  that's my problem with Trumpism... I can't normalize that kind of politics]

The breakup of black families went on for a loooong time under slavery and even under the segregated south. A sub-culture can last generations, and it's not like the problems of racism and discrimination disappeared in the distant past. When Obama's parents met, several states didn't allow interracial marriage! Check the Loving case (so appropriate named after Richard and Mildred Loving--a biracial couple in the 1960s). We're talking about events that you or your parents experienced; it's not ancient history.

Growing up with this in your background, I'd bet you'd be angry, even if you don't condone violence, you wouldn't trust the ..authorities.  The natives, who actually are the truly legal residents here, have similar problems, but they don't get attention because they were put in reservations.

Edited by Hudson
  • Like it 1

10 hours ago, jvc said:

The reasons why are very simple in my opinion....they were taken away from their homeland,  separated from family and culture and brought over as slaves.  Under these circumstances it's natural to lose your identity over generations of brutal circumstances....alone with no family,  culture and religion.

It is a form a neo colonialism, pump drugs into the community, cut funding for schools, pump weapons in so they can kill themselves, increase incarceration rates, promote nihilistic negative images through music and mass media...

21 hours ago, Hudson said:

So, what is really the argument here, in this thread? One side argues the police is the victim and that blacks are unreasonable in their behavior and demand. The other side (those here not everyone with BLM) argues that blacks have been discriminated and abused since the creation of the US.

I've never understood the taking of one side or the other.  Both are guilty.  The idea that the cops are completely innocent is farcical and is the idea that all cops are bad.  Likewise for black people.  The simple truth is that for a long time, if you were a bad cop it was relatively easy to get away with violence or worse.  And this has lead to the situation we have today where it's a powder keg.  How could it be otherwise ?

Change is required by the police.  There is no alternative.  The transgressions of the past can't be repeated, not in today's world.  They can't be brushed aside like in the past.  Having said that how any sane person would want to be a police officer in that environment is beyond me.

There was an incident I saw a while back where a police office shot a black man (there was a woman in the passenger seat) while the man was reaching over to get identification from the glove box.  The thought I had running through my head was "How on earth is this man a police officer ?" because either he had serious PTSD (fair enough) or he was just a cold blooded killer.  Either way, he should not even be a police officer.

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

The breakup of black families went on for a loooong time under slavery and even under the segregated south. A sub-culture can last generations, and it's not like the problems of racism and discrimination disappeared in the distant past. When Obama's parents met, several states didn't allow interracial marriage! Check the Loving case (so appropriate named after Richard and Mildred Loving--a biracial couple in the 1960s). We're talking about events that you or your parents experienced; it's not ancient history.

Growing up with this in your background, I'd bet you'd be angry, even if you don't condone violence, you wouldn't trust the ..authorities.  The natives, who actually are the truly legal residents here, have similar problems, but they don't get attention because they were put in reservations.

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

I've never understood the taking of one side or the other.  Both are guilty.  The idea that the cops are completely innocent is farcical and is the idea that all cops are bad.  Likewise for black people.  The simple truth is that for a long time, if you were a bad cop it was relatively easy to get away with violence or worse.  And this has lead to the situation we have today where it's a powder keg.  How could it be otherwise ?

Change is required by the police.  There is no alternative.  The transgressions of the past can't be repeated, not in today's world.  They can't be brushed aside like in the past.  Having said that how any sane person would want to be a police officer in that environment is beyond me...

You both say reasonable things which should be the basis for meaningful reforms. Instead we have people on both sides who find the worst behaviors and abusers to support their views.  In my view, this approach is not at all helpful. Those who generalize too much or wilfully want to create false impresssions perfrom a disservice and if they post here (which they do) demean this forum. (that;s my 3-cent contribution)

6 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Not the Beyonce who bleaches her skin so as to not appear so dark - even after writing song lyrics claiming how proud she is of her black features ???  It cant be that Beyonce...

Proof?

16 hours ago, aek66 said:

really? that was a response to another poster. looks like you had also chipped in with this:

so what did that have to do with BLM, besides paving excuses?

You already know what the relevance is. You have posted the same crap about illegitimacy rates i the black community several times already. It contributes nothing and it is irrelevant, the only reason you post it is to demean black people. Post it again and I will just delete it and warn you.

• 11 months later...
On 28.09.2016 at 3:52 AM, Tzatziki said:

Since you choose to pretend like you have no idea what I am talking about, I will provide some source material which I am sure is an exercise in futility on my part, nevertheless let's get on with it.

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination

THE IMPACT OF JURY RACE IN CRIMINAL TRIALS

Nonviolent drug offenses, where people of color are jailed at much higher rates

Even though drug use in the white community is higher than in the African-American community. 

You are less likely to be perceived as a "thug."

When Seattle Seahawks superstar Richard Sherman dared speak out after making a game-winning play to get his team to the Superbowl,the word "thug" was used 625 times in 24 hours of television broadcasts. Sherman, a Standford University graduate, called out his critics, noting that white male aggression is seen as acceptable in sports like hockey because the vast majority of players are white.

You are more likely to make headlines when missing.

You’re Less Likely to Be Stopped or Killed Because You ‘Fit the Profile’:

About 90 Percent of New Yorkers Stopped and Frisked Were 'Innocent,' Says NYCLU

Earl Sampson Stopped 258 Times In Four Years

This is just a quick copy paste, if you would like to delve deeper, I'm sure you can be resourceful enough.

The source link is dead. Here is the working one

• Like it 1

• 1 year later...