Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

Not surprising, the only b.s. you detect is your own....

Oh,  for a guy who can't capitalize proper words, or after "." that's rich!

So, yeah, I looked it up https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contemporary

Contemporary can be confusing because of its slightly different meanings. In everyday use, it generally means simply "modern" or "new". But before the 20th century it instead referred only to things from the same era as certain other things; so, for instance, Jesus was contemporary with the Roman emperors Augustus and Tiberius, and Muhammad was contemporary with Pope Gregory the Great. And contemporary is also a noun: thus, Jane Austen's contemporaries included Coleridge and Wordsworth, and your own contemporaries were born around the same year that you were.

1 :  happening, existing, living, or coming into being during the same period of time <The book is based on contemporary accounts of the war.>

In other words, when many people who are alive have experienced something, it's contemporary. The 1950s is not ancient history. The PBS docu, which you most probably haven't watched because it'd disturb your bs notions, ,shows what "slavery by another name" means in a contemporary sense.  As in the example above, Jesus didn't have the exact life span of the mentioned Roman emperors, but was contemporary of them...  Contemporary can also be used to mean modern (appropriate for its time)

So, yeah, to borrow from Jonathan Swift (not a contemporary, 18th c.), the government, in all of its wisdom, passed a law, applied to all, rich and poor,prohibiting sleeping under bridges and begging for food.

And, another quote from JS: laws are like spider webs, they're designed to catch the small flies but most often let the wasps and hornets fly through.

Trump won partly because he assured people like you that their make-believe universe is real and daddy will fix everything, don't you worry about anything now... go to sleep...

Edited by Hudson
b.s. def con 5

I think Hollywood changed in the last 30+ years as society changed, and as social progress took hold. Same with TV. Yeah, back in the days, they would promote stereotypes, but there have been many, many films about slavery, social issues, controversial topics, lots of women in leading roles, etc.

I wish we lived in a society where we wouldn't have discussion about genders and races because such would not be factors any longer. No need for quotas either. You're good, here's your award. I don't care even if your skin is green, you come from Jupiter, and you worship Assura Mazda (not a car by the way :happy-300900: )

• Lazarus changed the title to Black Lives Matter Movement

Oh, Hollywood, like Fox News, put out stuff for targeting specific audiences. They sell what they believe it'd sell. They're not there to educate or inform. In the entertainment business you're appealing to specific audiences.

Edited by Hudson

Me thinks it's the unreasonable people who have a particular view and won't change for any reasonable argument or fact.

Decent people with a working intelligent brain don't support hate, bigotry, and violence, against other innocent human beings.

I also think that trying to promote a cause and bring about peaceful change then you shouldn't justify violence or hate.  Otherwise it leads to blindness, and loss of perspective. One bad action doesn't justify another bad one. It's sad that, at least in rhetoric, several of the posts here are like that. 

It's simple. Have they been (still are) abusive cops? Yes. Do minorities have a reason to be fearful? Or, have they suffered abuse? Yes, yes. 

You can't dismiss centuries of slavery and discrimination because "it's the past" as if that has no effect for the present.

Have there been violent people part of (or claim to be) the BLM? yes. Does racism exist at least in equal % among blacks as among whites? yes.  Is crime higher in low income, low education, low opportunity communities (all of which are dis-proportionally black)? yes.

Do conditions a person live in influence their behavior? Of course. If you were sent to prison, you'd be a bad ass in order to survive. It's similar situation in some neighborhoods. No, I do not support nor do I excuse such violent behavior, but I understand the causes of it.  Some people here frame it as a race issue.

I don't have respect for those who race-bait, nor will I be reading the garbage put out by such people here.

Edited by Epicurus

anyone who posts a video of an angry, violent black man as if that would justify they views....

all it does is prove their idiocy and bigotry, and they should be called for what they're doing..... and what they truly are....

(but if I did call them racists, bigots, and simpletons, the mods will issue a warning against me and not those perps... so, note to mods: i'm talking in general and nothing to do with anyone in particular here)

Edited by Hudson

6 hours ago, aek66 said:

the reality is right there. if one talks about, racist. if one even thinks it, racist.

The reality is that you don't talk about race and the racial divide in the US. You bash black people and immigrants  all those with a different color of skin. An equal opportunity discriminator. And that's post after post, after post, after post. Anything they do or say, they are always on the wrong side of things. It's always their fault, they are the ones to blame for everything. They are the liars the `low lives` that provide support for all your arguments.

If that ain't white race supremacy, then maybe Steve Bannon can tell us what it is.  I think there is a single word that actually describes it... Any clues anybody? It starts with an `R`    R _ _ _ _ t

Edited by JimAdams
  • Like it 1

I move to strike those posters from this site who consistently bash ethnic, racial groups, and all others who keep promoting ideas fit for the dark ages. Likewise for people who support hate, misogyny, homophobia, conspiracy theories, willful ignorance, anti-reason/science, historical inaccuracies, environmental disasters, flat-earthers, bigotry, and "alternative facts." 

Much of the posts here are not about reasonable exchanges among reasonable interlocutors, but banter that devalues this forum for giving a platform to such persons.

Just my two copper cents.

PS>just a reminder: those who don't want quality control would yell censorship, or will tell you that you can't call them bigots (or whatever else they've been consistently expressing here) because you are the bigot. Don't fall for that. Same with what Trump and his cult are doing: if you call them for what they are and have been saying (even quoting them word for word) they accuse you of spreading lies, fake news, and worse.

Edited by Hudson
Don't fall for the perps' hysterics and deceptions

On 09/02/2017 at 10:53 AM, Hudson said:

PS>just a reminder: those who don't want quality control would yell censorship, or will tell you that you can't call them bigots (or whatever else they've been consistently expressing here) because you are the bigot. Don't fall for that. Same with what Trump and his cult are doing: if you call them for what they are and have been saying (even quoting them word for word) they accuse you of spreading lies, fake news, and worse.

Before the proverbial ink dried on this page, my point was proved by the two people above....

edit-Don't make it personal you have all been warned countless times, from here on out zero tolerance and official warnings will be given to anyone who makes personal insults

-Tzatziki

Edited by Tzatziki
stop insulting people or you will be banned, find better way ro express yoursel

6 hours ago, aek66 said:

those who are truly racist, will not differentiate -

You're so freakin' predictable! All the stuff that you post are black on white crimes. Big deal. Black on white, white on black... These crimes happen all the time. So do brown on black, black on brown. It's a diverse society where people of a different race interacted with others. But no - For you any such crime is eviodence that the black (or brown or substitute any color that you like) race is placed on this earth to commit crimes.

DELETED>.>>>>

I really don't understand how these forums allow for such blatant racism in plain view. Sure I'll get another warning by the moderators who either don't know what constitutes racism or are afraid to stand up against it. 

Edited by athinaios
language

1 minute ago, aek66 said:

so, i've learned that anyone that talks about any crime committed by a black upon a white, is a racist. anyone that flies the BLM flag is an altruistic patriot, so altruistic that racists can't grasp the sophisticated levels of love and brotherhood.

That's all you talk about. Your entire life consts of digging out articles where black (or colored, or immigrants) people inflict harm on white folks. THe reverse type of crime doesn't even cross your radar. Just stand up and say : I'm a proud racist. I'm sure a bunch of guys in here will friend you on Facebook.

On 12/02/2017 at 9:21 PM, aek66 said:

someone, not me, will post the stats..and you'll find that a black woman has a better chance of winning the lottery twice, than getting raped by a white male.

Is that because you don't have any accurate data? Even so with nothing to back up your racist positioning you still make a racists statement. Are we to take you on your word? Just like Trump's "believe me . my body parts are not tiny."

This bullshit and misinformation has been going on since forever.

“Whites could not countenance the idea of a white woman desiring sex with a Negro, thus any physical relationship between a white woman and a black man had, by definition, to be an unwanted assault,” writes historian Philip Dray, describing Wells-Barnett’s argument in his book At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America.  

In one instance, found Wells-Barnett, a black man in Indianola, Mississippi, was lynched for raping the local sheriff’s 7-year-old daughter. When Wells-Barnett went to investigate, however, she found something very different:

Wells traveled to Indianola and met the alleged rape victim, who was no girl but a grown woman in her late teens. The “brute,” Wells learned, had worked on the sheriff’s farm for a number of years and was acquainted with every member of the family.  The woman had been found in her lover’s cabin by her father, who led a lynch mob in order to save his daughter’s reputation.

Make any list of anti-black terrorism in the United States, and you’ll also have a list of attacks justified by the specter of black rape. The Tulsa race riot of 1921—when white Oklahomans burned and bombed a prosperous black section of the city—began after a black teenager was accused of attacking, and perhaps raping, a white girl in an elevator. The Rosewood massacre of 1923, in Florida, was also sparked by an accusation of rape. And most famously, 14-year-old Emmett Till was murdered after allegedly making sexual advances on a local white woman. 

Throughout the antebellum period, whites lived in terror of a challenge to the racial order and believed that black freedom would lead to a world of “Negro domination” where they lived as slaves, or worse. Likewise, during the 1864 election, Northern Democrats attacked Abraham Lincoln as a “black Republican” who sought to debase the white race with miscegenation. Similar accusations were used during the civil rights movement, and in the North, urban whites justified residential segregation—in patterns that still exist—as necessary protection from the violent, sexually aggressive black criminal.

What is it that you are afraid of?  

1 hour ago, JimAdams said:

I really don't understand how these forums allow for such blatant racism in plain view. Sure I'll get another warning by the moderators who either don't know what constitutes racism or are afraid to stand up against it. 

I'll refer this one to @Tzatziki who from what I can tell is the only moderator who participates regularly in this thread.  Are you saying he's obtuse or just a coward ?

To clarify, there isn't a moderator who checks every post on the forum and there never will be.  If you have an issue, the only way to guarantee that moderators know about it, is to bring it to their attention ie. to report it.  Calling out a moderator(s), I don't see how that will help you get what you want.

58 minutes ago, OlympicHellas said:

Dont worry aek66, ''Jim'' will bow out soon and ''Hudson'' will be here to continue the insanity lol

You probably think you're scoring points with your posts. Bravo.  You're a stellar example of impeccable reasoning, and a source of divine truth.  Have you thought of collecting all your posts into a book? Jim A and Hudson would love to have it as a parting gift and use it as their Bible.

But, please add some photos, because, you know, we don't read lots. aek666 could provide them peachurs..

Edited by Hudson

24 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

How is disagreeing with BLM and disagreeing that there is systematic racism towards blacks mean your racist?

It is in a way an approval of the status quo. Saying that there is no problem when there clearly is one. And it leads people to believe that the person who acts in the way you describe above does so because they are racist, it is not so crazy an assumption, but the person might also just be oblivious or living somewhere far removed from the problem, or be uninformed, they might not necessarily be racist, but they probably are.

@JimAdams If you wish to take the moral high road, you should carry yourself in a manner that exemplifies it, getting your message across in a way that shows that you not only talk the talk but can walk the walk. I don't get why you and @aek66 need to take the conversation to such a low and immature level as to bring up the size of peoples tools. This is a topic that deserves that you all treat it and each other with a minimum level of respect and decorum. If you all keep up the pettiness I will simply resort to deleting posts and dishing out warnings for being off topic or being offensive or whatever the specific case may be in a particular post. Please discuss your opinions without getting petty, personal and distasteful. I'm really getting tired of saying this, warnings will be dished out you guys need to learn to play nice or go on a time out.

• Like it 2

About your pedophile analogy, I have nothing to add, sorry. About not saying anything racist, you actually have, in this thread, more than once. More specifically the word you used to describe black people, which is very offensive.

2 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

The word wog has taken a similar path- where growing up it was a derogatory word that anglos used to call us - however us "wogs" embraced it and wore it as a badge of honour which higlighted our cultural differences with "Aussies" or Skips (named after Skippy the bush kangaroo" ) so you were a wog a skip or a Nip ( asian) taken from the word Nippon .

Yes, referring to people of Asian descent (Japanese) and 'nip' is derogatory and is intended to diminish the people it is directed towards. As far as I know, the Japanese still refer to their country as Nippon, as that is the name of the place in Japanese, but call themselves Nihon-jin.

An intentionally dismissive truncation of a legitimate word does not make using it "OK" . With a little curiosity you can look it up on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nip

The same stands for terms used to refer to other people of different skin color or ethnic descent. 

Ignorance is no excuse for guilt.

Edited by JimAdams

Maybe the U.S. is different to Australia because I know exactly where @ThrylosG7 is coming from.  Maybe it was just a different era, a different time.

Wogs, Skips, Nips, sure they were originally meant to be derogatory but it changed.

If you don't believe me, check out this passage from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organised_crime_in_Australia.

During the early 1990s, Melbourne youth gangs included: 3174, based around Noble Park and Springvale; Keyzy/Burra boys, based in Keysborough; LSC (Lake Side Crew), Euro Boyz based in St. Albans through to Taylors Lakes; 14K, based in Footscray; BST, based in Sunshine, Deerpark & Werribee; MC3, based in Dandenong South; Oakleigh Wogs, based in Oakleigh; Springy Nips, based in Springvale; RT Criminals, based in Camberwell and Ashburton; WTP, based in Glen Iris and East Malvern; HTL, based in Kew, Hawthorn and Shepparton.

The name Springy Nips was coined by the Asians themselves.  In the same way that the name Oakleigh Wogs was coined by Greeks.  I grew up in Springvale and I can tell you the Asian boys wore the term Nips with pride.  If you don't believe me, I can get Crazy Phong to "explain" it to you.  Trust me, you don't want a visit from Crazy Phong.

3 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

No i didnt use the word "******" to describe them. You misread my comment or took it out of context completely. If I am talking about a word and using it as an example of how it is used by others to make a point - it does not mean I am using that word when talking about them- nor does it mean that I am condoning the use of that word. 

On 05/01/2017 at 3:03 AM, ThrylosG7 said:

I also see your average "thug life" type or "Nigga" as they call themselves the stereotypical type you find in rap videos

2 hours ago, Bananas said:

name Springy Nips was coined by the Asians themselves.  In the same way that the name Oakleigh Wogs was coined by Greeks.  I grew up in Springvale and I can tell you the Asian boys wore the term Nips with pride.  If you don't believe me, I can get Crazy Phong to "explain" it to you.  Trust me, you don't want a visit from Crazy Phong.

You missed the point. When a group of people are harassed using a slur (like Queer, Wog, ****** etc) They almost always, throughout history, almost every single time, use it among themselves in an almost ironic endearing way. Doesn't mean its OK to use it now that (a small group of them) do.

I read though facebook, reddit, during online games ETC and countless times have heard people say "Dirty Wogs" "Stupid Wogs" etc.

The same way the Black American rappers use the N-Bomb. Doesn't mean a white person can say it. And that is only the Black American rappers (or wannabe street thugs)

Normal black American family's would most definitely NOT be OK with their 16 year old son saying "nigga" even if it was not used in a derogatory way.

The only difference between the N Bomb and WOG is that Wogs were not persecuted like the Black American people and it also didn't last long. The "wogs" became regular Aussies within a century or two (to most people) Which is probably why we don't get as jacked up about it when we hear it. I FOR ONE still don't like hearing the word if used in a derogatory way.

Of course the Cronulla Riots kinda woke up the racist streak in the current generation of Aussies, and although the racism should have been directed towards Middle Easterners (Lebs etc) since they were the ones causing the "trouble" in Cronulla, I heard reports of Italians and Greeks and other Europeans being bashed.

Also at the time i was living in Wollongong and i got a SMS message calling on all "WOGS" to stand up to the "SKIPS" and join the fight. At the time i was confused! This had nothing to do with wogs! It was between Aussies and Middle easterners. Not sure if the racism towards Wogs was unearthed that day or if people are just naive and lump middle easterners in with Europeans.