Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

This comment here is not directed at you G7, don't feel targeted.

If you're too black, you might be a thug, if you're too white you're a hypocrite...Kinda like being a filthy immigrant outside of Greece and being an "Amerikanaki" when you visit Greece...

18 hours ago, aek66 said:

i predict that barry will travel to malaysia and brunei to assure those friendly, progressive governments that the usa will not abandon them and will push forward for the TPP. i also predict he'll purchase a chic, see-through type veil for michelle.

barry claims that; "we don't want china writing trade deals".

Yeah, but what about my question, ... will Obama throw open the borders the day after the election or will wait for H Clinton to do it on Jan 20th, 2017, sometime in the afternoon that day?

As for Barry, he'll have plenty of time after he leaves office to do stuff like that, including dressing up Michelle, though she doesn't strike me a the Melania poodle. On the other hand, I hear, that Obama is planning a coup, so he can hold on to power like Putin.

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of an analogy a comedian made once, if a skinny girl picks on a fat girl for being fat, that's just mean, but if a fat girl picks on a skinny girl, so what. All the white men crying reverse racism and wawawawa, get some perspective. I'm not saying crucify yourself, but put yourself in other peoples shoes for a minute if you can (not calling anyone here out specifically, just white outraged oblivious men in general).

Oh, your twitter comment got deleted? s%$#! man, life sucks don't it? People are still alive today that suffered and witnessed unspeakable acts of cruelty and barbarism, get some perspective your twitter comments are not that interesting anyway.

Edited by Tzatziki

1 hour ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Where exactly then do you draw the line ??  Does that mean that todays generation is meant to pay for errors, or mistakes of generations past ??  How long before white people have to stop feeling guilty?? At what point to these groups take responsibility for themselves??

These points you are making are very relateable to many, and something we need to over-stand so that we can all come to some position of understanding. I am speaking for myself here and hope that many would agree but who knows...

I don't think it is realistic or fair to ask today's generation to pay for the crimes of their forefathers. White people should feel somewhat guilty because it is a natural human reaction to the history that has taken place, it shows that you have some humanity, good for you! It should not paralyze you, or make you go overboard but a little of that guilt will keep you somewhat sensitive to certain human conditions and issues. Would you not agree that there is some value in that? "These groups" as you put it (Blacks in America?) Are still struggling to overcome the effects (which are countless) of slavery, slavery was only 2 generations a go about. Beyond that, it is not as if the day slavery ended, the chocolate faces were on level ground with the saltines. I believe YOU ARE SMARTER than that?

If you retain just one thing from this ramble, no one wants you to pay for anything that happened prior, you would be amazed at how far a little empathy could go, just listening to someone's story and acknowledging their experience is a big deal, instead of trivializing it, playing devils advocate, or trying to whitesplain it. The pain is deep, I'm not saying all blacks are angels and the white man is the devil, but the suffering is real, its documented and it is still happening today.

When real issues that have effects on people's lives in a direct and impactful manner are dealt with, I would consider Twitter moderating issues, until then I think even bringing such an issue up for serious discussing in this topic where we are talking about the loss of life is quite irrelevant and maybe even re.tarded. With no offence intended to you file TG7

7 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

-but your suggesting that Black people may have equality now - and have had so for many years

-we as a society will never eradicate discrimination completely - there will always be elements who dont like one or more groups of people for one reason or another...these people will be blacks, white, asian, african ...

-All of them are successful , all of them are famous and many of them make fun of "white culture" imagine the reverse was done..and white people came on making fun of black culture..even as a joke....

1-Not even close.

2-Does that mean we should not try to make progress?

3-Sit back for a minute, think about what you are saying, you're upset because you can't openly make fun of black culture? Dude, perspective, context....there are people still alive who remember seeing their loved ones or friends being lynched, and blacks are still being killed and incarcerated and getting less than a fair shake daily, and your main gripe here is not being able to make fun of them? Let's be clear also, the shows you watch on youtube....these are the exceptions, it is no the reality, these people like mos def says are put on a yacht but wont call it a slaveship with the exception of 4-5  people maybe a couple more.. And also you can always make a joke about anything, just make sure if its offensive that it is funny, or else its just offensive.

10 hours ago, Reaper said:

I am not sure on this one but didn't slavery in the US end in 1865?

1.4% of white Americans owned slaves at the height of slavery in the US. Most the population was against the practice - to such a degree - we saw a civil war. I really don't think anyone should feel guilty - not this far along. We should recognise the practice of keeping slaves is wrong and think the US does.  Every human should be equal - singling out white Americans for censorship seems absurd in this day and age.

1-You are 100% right, sorry for the misinformation, I was mixing up slavery with the voters rights act, thank you for correcting me.

2-Even if this figure is somehow accuratly measured, what are you saying here exactly, that slavery is overblown? It was a few bad guys in the south that made the country look racist? You have no responsibility personally for what hapened before you were around, but making light of these atrocities is beyond hateful and saddening to hear from a relativly young (I'm assuming no older than 45) man. 

Every human should be equal, no one will argue this, but some people are so self involved or ethnocentric or so obtuse, that they cannot see past their own nose.

Finally, I am not an American history expert, maybe someone like PANA might know better, but I don't think the Civil War (US) had much at all to do about slavery.

Edited by Tzatziki
Jeez really sorry for all the typos guys :s

7 hours ago, grkjet said:

Twitter has been on record for flagging and banning users who post right wing things. Milo Yianopoulos is a notable member who had his account suspended. 

Although a private company, Twitter and other  social media outlets ought to have free speech, and unless that speech is harming someone via threats, it should not constitute in bans for people who lean right. That is what you call censorship and if anything is trampling on the freedom of discussion, argumentation, and varying opinions which is the very essence of western ideology. 

I think freedom of speech should be protected even if the speech is vile. It is up to the people to not give these backward failed ideology peddlers out of biz by not giving them an audience, but like a good man once said...

OK. I'm new here, but from reading the above, am I supposed to think that blacks are bad and whites, especially white cops, are good?

I can't believe the free ride blacks have gotten in the US. You give them all the benefits of welfare, ample opportunities to become rich, and all they want is to complain!

Whites would not do any of that!

I'm now educated.

By the way, did you see those Greeks f##@king up everything, burning down the Polytechnic, destroy public and private property, and degrading the SUPER league?  They've been given all the money from lenders (only to waste it) ever since the foreign powers defeated the Ottomans to given them a new shot at having a country, and they've really F***ed it up!

Edited by Hudson

It's pretty segregated in this country regarding blacks and whites.  Blacks mostly live in their own neighborhoods where whites live in their own.  I live in a city where its probably 98% white and it's rare to see a black person walking down the street.  Likewise, you can go into neighborhoods where its 98% black.  Not all black communities are war zones either.  We have some middle class communities that are probably 60% black and all is quiet and kept and safe. It's interesting dynamics here but I wouldn't really call them good dynamics.  It's a problem that isn't going away anytime soon.

• Like it 1

22 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

I also see your average "thug life" type or "Nigga" as they call themselves the stereotypical type you find in rap videos....

Rap videos, youtube, movies and whatever media you use to form your opinions are not real life. Also did you really need to type out that word? It's bad enough in here without having to see that, I really am surprised you would post it.

5 minutes ago, Pana97 said:

It is very hard for a person to make their own decision on what they want to believe.

I don't think that is most often the case. White people generally don't give it much thought at all I think. Whites are the majority, everything generally is catered to them, institutions created by and ran by them, and whenever racial issues come up, often they are ill informed, begin to feel guilty and get defensive. Have a look around this topic, this page even. There is no real discussion going on. There is not even a hint from most of any type of willingness to entertain any thought or experience that is not their own. ZERO empathy, it's their (blacks) own fault, when will they stop already with the slavery thing, look at those rap videos, black on black crime...it's unreal, dismissal, deflection, trivialization, slander for all, humility.....none to be found.

21 minutes ago, Pana97 said:

From what my Anthropology professor told me it sounds like the south is still in the pre-civil rights movement era. 

Some of my fondest memories of post high school learning were the Anthropology classes, don't know about the south much except from some visits, but the things we learned about in those classes, really made you feel some kind of way. 

You're right, political correctness has provoked a backlash; and it isn't only from the right, I can tell you.

But, for me the true question is, how do we make our country a better place to live in, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender/sexual orientation, and personal belief systems?...  What are those policies that would make a happier, gentler society?

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, athinaios said:

how do we make our country a better place to live in, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender/sexual orientation, and personal belief systems?

That is what people should be thinking about. Black lives matter is not about getting special treatment, it is about justice. Same for gender equality, and freedom of religion, and the lot.

On 04/01/2017 at 9:18 AM, Reaper said:

I am not sure on this one but didn't slavery in the US end in 1865?

That is my Great Great Great Grandfather's generation - around 6 generations ago.

Officially yes, in actuality however, there were hundreds of thousands of people that were not free right up until about 1945 as per below book turned PBS documentary:

Yep, slavery, or indentured servitude, existed until the 1950s in several states. The above documentary is excellent. I don't know how you can watch that and not shed a tear. This is not ancient history. There are people alive who have witnessed this history. Put yourself in that situation, even if you're under 50 yrs old, you still have relatives and family stories telling you about slavery and segregation.

Replace white America with your favorite villain. The Ottomans? Now, how would you behave? If there's any guide how Greeks behave or feel about the Ottomans/Turks, then you get the idea...

Now, how about them criminals?..

10519712-large.jpg

• Like it 1

You're rambling, and again you put up a straw man to beat up.

Funny thing you talk about personal responsibility and accountability...  Please tweet that to the Great Leader.

By the way, the documentary above is not about 1904 (?!) or about "poor/mentally ill" people... You should watch it. Maybe you can learn something about the reality of discrimination and abuse in contemporary America.

• Lazarus changed the title to Black Lives Matter Movement