Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

I am not for violence but sometimes riots are understandable, not riots after a sports team loses for example, but the one after the Rodney King trial, that was not a surprise. It is actually surprising to me that riots are not more common all things considered.

Race hatred on both sides, right wing militias, 50 million on food stamps, bank bail outs but people fail and lose everything, billions for foreign wars and no money for problems domestically, stolen elections, corruption, militarization of the police force, erosion of personal rights of all...

Corporations jeopardizing our futures for short term gains with environmental devastation, a private body keeping us all in perpetual debt by usury because we allow them to print our money and lend it back to us with interest....the list is long.

1 minute ago, Pana97 said:

People just want to go with the crowd nowadays and the new fad is black lives matter. If black people feel oppressed and victimized by Police Officers there are civil ways of going about it. When BLM first started I was for it, but now after seeing this violence and acts of stupidity I will not support it. Historically humans have always opted to go the violent route and seldom does it end well as we have seen time and time again. 

Def not an advocate for violence, but very rarely is progress made without it. Not saying it is right but it is somewhat true I think. 

3 minutes ago, Pana97 said:

I can see your point on that. However, the whole uproar about BLM is that police are being violent towards Blacks and killing them. From what I have seen in recent weeks however, BLM protestors have been actively seeking out police officers to attack them. If a police officer is being attacked he has the right to defend himself and shoot the attacker(s). The whole violent approach is counterintuitive in terms of this situation. Protestors will attack police, the police will respond by shooting and more complaints will surface and the vicious cycle will continue.

You are making a fair point, people do not always have the capability of acting right, this is true for any group. Also, this may or may not be the case, but don't dismiss the possibility of agent provocateurs trying to undermine the cause, it is done in every popular movement.

On 06/10/2016 at 0:49 PM, aek66 said:

we can make a deal, when you stop inferring racism...in regards to those that reject BLM, then you can go from grasshopper to yogurt sauce.

When you post racist comments, innuendos and the like, at least be a man and own up to it. Your disdain and ethnocentric hubris is painfully obvious, either man up and own it or be more subtle if you're going to act like an offended virgin.

2 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

Well said - I also want to point out that its not limited to the black community - media , music , advertisinf , movies I think have affected society , values, morals and thinking to all communities in general...in a way that I feel are negative and have made our society worse. I just highlighted what I feel affects the black community - for which 1789 - explained very well.. Great post 

AS for Beyonce - dont get me started on her - biggest hypocrite on the planet...like the most of the so called celebrities who try to take up a cause...

It's not limited to the black community you say, but when a movement with the purpose of improving conditions for black people rises, all you guys can seem to do is criticize the people denigrate, demean and do anything other than the slightest positive or supportive action, comment or reaction.

About your labelling of Beyonce as the biggest hypocrite on the planet, the least you can do is say 5 words about it, instead of just spewing such a statement without even a hint of substance to justify it.

1 hour ago, aek66 said:

sorry, i don't buy the BLM narrative. sorry. that makes me and many others racist.

No what makes you racist is the content contained within the numerous posts about black people you have shared.

8 hours ago, Tzatziki said:

No what makes you racist is the content contained within the numerous posts about black people you have shared.

Like others have said.  You don't even live in the US.  You have no clue except for youtube videos and rap music.  When you move down here, then you can live it.

Assata was a political prisoner, a lot of these BLA members and Panthers were set up, railroaded, murdered, and done dirty. Look into some of the details of Assata's conviction, you might find some interesting stuff if you care to look.

People on both sides of this issue have taken their arguments and actions to extreme.  I won't get into discussing every comment or video put here or on the internet. But, I am aware that if you're black or brown you can be treated differently by the authorities and others simply because of the color of your skin.

If I want to march to bring attention to an issue, am I responsible for those whose aim is to loot, destroy and hurt others?

Or, if a movement is important for the overall effect of raising an issue, while some participants resort to animalistic behavior, does it make the movement invalid?  Not comparing BLM to the Greek revolution, but are you aware of the atrocities committed by some who fought for Greek independence (ie during the sacking of Tripolitsa).

Of course, not all cops are racist nor responsible for every black man mistreated or shot. I don't know what the % of bad cops is but it's not negligible. The wide use of cameras and smart phones to capture video has brought this problem to light. As with many issues, there are many causes for this problem so the approach has to be comprehensive. From better training of cops to citizens complying with POs even if the latter are in the wrong. Escalating confrontations don't end well.

^^^^

I'm loyal to intellectual honesty and reason, and also to values & policies that improve the human condition. Then I evaluate the choices I have in political terms.  The candidate who is more likely to advocate for policies that will enhance the quality of Americans is, in my opinion, the candidate who comes closer to my views on:

• promoting science and the scientific way, including reality (yes, one party/candidate is anti-science)
  • distributive policies, which strengthen the middle class (where most people should be); tax policies
  • sane foreign policy based on serious consideration of issues
  • women's reproductive rights; equality of opportunity; and, yes, respect for women
  • environmental issues
  • education
  • reduce military spending
  • immigration reform that fixes the broken system, instead of idiotic slogans like "build a wall" (as this would fix the problem);
  • money's role in politics
  • the direction of the supreme court,
  • etc.....

AEK66 I thought you're of the reasonable ones here. Why do you use broad statements and find single causes for problems that have multiple causes and whose solution requires a comprehensive approach.

They way you and others present this cops-blacks problem as if cops are the victims (yes, you can find  many cases like that a**hole above who attacked a traffic officer), and that all those who may have marched in the BLM movement as criminals too, or out of their minds for believing that racism and unprofessional conduct may be resident within police dpts.  Oh, and throw in Obama as part of the problem for good measure.

Same with other issues, gun violence and crime. There are many factors contributing and you have to realize this.

As for immigration, Reagan's 1986 imm reform wasn't supposed to fix the issue for ever and ever. Where did you get that? No issue is fixed if there's demand, like demand for alcohol, drugs, cheap labor. Countries make frequent adjustments. The system is broken because of sheer numbers, quotas, and luck of funding. We have millions of immigrants who have been living here for many years, working hard, and their kids go to school, often this is the only country they know. What H Clinton would do? I don't know what she'll be able to do, but she said for a certain class of people already in the US, with no criminal records, a path to legalization is appropriate. Why do you keep saying she's for open borders? Who is?   Oh, yeah, I forgot the other idiot thinks the wall will be the solution, in addition (as Pence said too) we'll round up 12 million undocumented. Not only this is stupid and very expensive (both building the wall and rounding up millions), but unethical and in the process unconstitutional.  Obama? Well he has been deporting more of imms than any other president, including GW Bush. The borders can have better control, but Congress has to fund that, and, again, do something about the demand.  Unless you think we're winning the war on drugs......:1eye: in which case we can learn from simplistic solutions....:characters-863083:

Edited by Hudson

On 09/10/2016 at 8:30 PM, ThrylosG7 said:

BLM ??

This is the REAL BLM

With all due respect, I don't know you personally to say with certainty, but I will venture to guess that you might not be the premiere authority on telling anyone what exactly the "real" BLM is, living in Australia, probably little to zero meaningful contact with anyone close to back or black culture. I could be wrong though, if I am well, my apologies.

Also feel free to elaborate if you wish on why you say Beyonce is the worst or biggest hypocrite...

1 hour ago, ThrylosG7 said:

You dont have to live in america or be black to have an opinion on BLM

As for Beyonce - if she is so proud to be black - why does she bleach her skin to lighten it ??

I agree with you first statement, no argument there. When you say though "they" act violent or "they" wanna kill whitey, this is a weak argument. Some do act violent, I'm sure some also would like to kill whites, but this is not representative of the whole movement or all black people. I think most rational people can admit as much.

As for Beyonce, whether or not she bleaches her skin is really her own business I feel, do you think this is really a big deal? Cosmetics and magazines, TV and many people and institutions make billions preying on everyone's (women especially, minority women more so) insecurities. I see what you are trying to say, but I can't really agree with you on that. Would the analogous behavior for whites be spending hours at tanning salons or frying their skin on the beach? Or is that not the same? (no facetiousness, honest question).

4 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

In her song she makes special mention of her negro nostrils.... if your proud to be black you dont go and bleach your skin to be more appealing and sell more records...thats hypocrisy I'm sorry 

You don't need to be sorry, it's your opinion. Personally, I could care less, I don't know if she bleaches and I don't care to know. Why it is an issue for you, I do not understand either. I'll leave it to each individual black person themselves to decide what being a proud black means for them.

What about whites tanning their skin? Any thoughts? 

• Lazarus changed the title to Black Lives Matter Movement