Phantis Forums

Athens Mosque

Guest PastMember

Disgraceful. What kind of country do they want Greece to look like? People need to step back and think hard about this.

Too bad this government is full of virtue-signalling, self-haters.

• Like it 2

Congrats on your recent regression btw Pana. 

Why compare this situation to building a church in Turkey, is that the model you aspire to emulate? If so then fair game. I am quite sure this is not the case though.

The thing is I have a point though right? If a Christian church were built in Istanbul Turks would be going crazy just like we are. Greece is a very small country in a crisis with an unemployment rate that effects the youth especially. The country will be run by them in the generations to come. If mosques are built in one of the biggest city's it will eventually lead to more being built and could possibly invite immigrants into the country. If Greece is already struggling with its own people how can they help immigrants?Add the fact that stats show immigrants in Europe increase crime and we have a recipe for disaster. I used to defend muslims, but after the terrorist attacks lately I am sorry I cannot trust any of them. I am sad to admit it, but it is the truth. The shooting in California was the final straw for me. I would hate for a radical islamic attack to occur, or form in my ancestral country. May be too far for you, or others, but at the end of the day it is my personal beliefs. Like that you are a fair person and want to think fairly for all, but that sadly is not the case for me on this particular subject.

Way to avoid the question Pana, here goes another one: do you know any Muslims? Do you know anything about Islam besides what news outlets and racists and bigots regurgitate these days?

Exactly Reaper, the tide is only moving in one direction, and that is against us. Mosques are being built in Europe as Muslims come over in droves. While Christians are being slaughtered in the Middle East and North Africa for their faith.

• Like it 1

I know and was very good friends with two people that had Muslim backround, but they did not practice it much. Tzatziki I think you are an awesome poster, but this is the internet we don't know each other personally. I have had a very bad expericne with muslims. It is a very serious matter that I dont feel comfortable discussing here. It is good that yiu have an open mind and are willing to see things from everyone's perspective, but we all experience life differntly. This recent incident is the reason I "regressed."

Likewise Pana. The world is a big place, don't let a bad experience or two narrow your mind.

.Some of the passages I would like edited out are the following:

Quran (5:51) - "O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

Quran (3:28) - "Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah: except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them..."

Quran (9:23) - "O ye who believe! Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for friends if they take pleasure in disbelief rather than faith. Whoso of you taketh them for friends, such are wrong-doers.''

Quran (3:10) - "(As for) those who disbelieve, surely neither their wealth nor their children shall avail them in the least against Allah, and these it is who are the fuel of the fire."

And, who are you to edit the word of God?..

Leviticus 24:16

Whoever utters the name of the Lord must be put to death. The whole community must stone him, whether alien or native. If he utters the name, he must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl?s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father?s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father?s house.

Exodus 35:2

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her

etc etc

• Like it 1

7-quran-quotes-hujurat-49-10.png

On those who believe and do good works there shall be no sin for what they eat, provided they fear God and believe and do good works, and again fear God and believe, yet again fear God and do good. And Allah loves those who do good.  (Al Quran 5:94)

?Whoever kills a person [unjustly]?it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life, it is as though he had saved all mankind.? (Qur?an, 5:32)

?We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed.? (Surat al-Ma?ida, 48)

22:17 Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians (can mean certain ancient religion or people with no specific religion), Christians, Magians, and Polytheists,- God will judge between them on the Day of Judgment: for God (alone) is witness of all things.

(6) 002.263 

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is free of all wants, and He is Most-Forbearing. 

Islam has everything covered!

You know very well I'm sure, that both the Bible and the Quran are loaded with contradictory statements. You can focus on the negative ones if you like, it's your choice, but the positive ones are there too.

The sooner people become tolerant of one another's differences and start respecting each other the better off we as a race will all be. Sadly everyday I realise more and more that we have a very long way still to go.

It took us close to 1000 years to make sure Christianity is weak in the UK. It was a very long process. Now it is Islam's turn and we can see the power of this religion.

Your view is warped and out of context, Islam has had it's "Golden age" before just as Christianity had it's Dark age, get a grip.

• 3 months later...

Very dipolmatic! Build a mosque in Athens and convert agia Sophia back into a mosque. Bravo tsipras and those running Greece! Makes me sick! This s%$#! should have never been build unless we're allowed to us our church ! 

Never will happen cause it's a sign of Turkish conquest! 

First, it's a shame the old Omonia square was destroyed, but it's not the first time something classical and beautiful was replaced with a monstrosity. Look around Athens and you'll see ugly apt. bldgs, garbage, and cacophony.

Anyway, so I understand.... If a country says it values freedom and liberties, should it allow people to believe in Zeus even if this goes against majority's worship preference? Instead, do you want to copy backward dictatorships, and oppressive theocracies?

And, if you don't allow for a mosque to be built, what are you preventing exactly? That those Muslims will not find a way to pray?

Instead of promoting enlightenment and fighting superstition with education, some people choose to kill each other on the debate whether the deity likes pork or not, and whether he has designated some sheeple as the chosen ones.

• Like it 3

10 minutes ago, athinaios said:

First, it's a shame the old Omonia square was destroyed, but it's not the first time something classical and beautiful was replaced with a monstrosity. Look around Athens and you'll see ugly apt. bldgs, garbage, and cacophony.

Anyway, so I understand.... If a country says it values freedom and liberties, should it allow people to believe in Zeus even if this goes against majority's worship preference? Instead, do you want to copy backward dictatorships, and oppressive theocracies?

And, if you don't allow for a mosque to be built, what are you preventing exactly? That those Muslims will not find a way to pray?

Instead of promoting enlightenment and fighting superstition with education, some people choose to kill each other on the debate whether the deity likes pork or not, and whether he has designated some sheeple as the chosen ones.

I will add to that, any religion that says pork is bad, can't be any good.  I mean, bacon, BACON!!!  How can you not love bacon!!!

There are also laws against proselytism, so the official religion is protected. The Zeus worshipers, if organized as a religion, should get recognition.

As for the mosque, it could be built anywhere. I read that the proposed site was once a military barracks that can be used for housing since there are buildings there already. That sounds good to me.

The issue for me is that there has to be separation of church-state in a modern society, so the state does not favor one over another.

I can't help that chuckle when I hear fanatics of one religion criticizing or ridiculing the religious practices of another religion. Nobody seems to notice that 99% of the religious follow the culture and myths of the place of their birth. As far as I know, no one chose where to be born.

• Like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

so Greece is making a Mosque of that size for who ??

What i dont understand - why does the mosque have to look like a mosque exactly ??

On the brght side at least some construction workers will get some sorely needed merokamata...

As for the second line, it is simple, you would not build a church that did not look like a church would you?

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

How many genuine immigrants are in Athens ?? compared to illegals

I realise pragmatically it is unfeasible at the moment, but I think in a fairer and more civilized world no one would be illegal or denied the right to move about freely unless they were proven to be a violent criminal or something like that. The reality is though, the immigration/refugee issue is a huge burden economically and security wise. My heart goes out to the lay person seeking refuge from the hell that is war and terror, but Europe has left Greece high and dry and it is only a matter of time I feel until something horrible happens with this ticking time bomb.