Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Can you imagine the angst the Croatians will feel if we hold them for say  30 minutes then an hour? I see them coming attacking us hard and hopefully we get a chance on the counter and we put a goal in on them. Another thing that works to our advantage is that Croatia before the Finland match thought they were going direct to Russia and now they squandered there opportunity and now have to play us. There are not to many Croatians happy with drawing Greece! Pressure is on them!

Not a bad draw, if our defense plays the way it can we should be able to hold off Mandzukic, Rakitic and Mondric...jeez they have two of the best midfielders in the world though, these guys will need to marked like flies on poop if we wanna progress. Let's also hope Mitro is in shape.

• Like it 1

40 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Was the worst team of the 4 to get. I would have been happy with Italy instead.

no way. Italy has just as good of defense as us if not better, plus they actually have a midfield. if they were only able to get Icardi as a striker they would be world cup contenders. they've had a hole in striker position for a long time now besides Balotelli's flash in the pan.

Croatia has a weak D and great attacking force. These kind of teams are our specialty. Probably the best draw besides Denmark.

Still will be very tough. Way harder than Ukraine and Romania. I could even see this going into extra time.

Edited by georgelaz

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

Even though Croatia have bigger name players I also am glad we avoided the Swiss. We tend to typically play better against better offensive teams that have a weaker defence. Lets be honest We are going to park the bus and try and defend like hell and try to frustrate them and hope we can attack on the counter or off a set piece. This is the way we win... Everyone can call it "anti football" or Ugly boring soccer" I say who gives a s%$#! we are who we are. We have a solid back end and we need to use it to our advantage.

We will do as such. The issue is if their midfielders like Modric, Rakitic and Perisic can get some space to create, Our defense could be easily exposed. Thats why we will look into keeping Zeca and Samaris/Tzolis(god help us) behind the ball, we can positon ourselves on some good counter attacks with Mitro, Donis and Fortounis 

Also, what do you think the chances are of moving this match into Athens so they can play at OAKA to have a bigger crowd? It's been done in the past, but I don't think it did much.

2 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

I'm quite happy with this draw. I'd place Croatia as the third strongest team we could have drawn. Italy strongest followed by the Swiss, Croatians and then weakest as Denmark. 

Thank goodness it's not Faroe Islands.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Limnos77 said:

They are already underestimating us, like it's a foregone conclusion. Who's Greece?? let them underestimate us at their peril. Same sh*t came out of Bosnias mouth. 

link

Not all Croats share that sentiment:

Σίμιτς: «Η Ελλάδα είναι ο χειρότερος δυνατός αντίπαλος»

143851.jpg?w=880&f=bicubic

«Η Ελλάδα είναι πράγματι ο χειρότερος δυνατός αντίπαλος που θα μπορούσαμε να έχουμε. Είναι ένας δυσάρεστος αντίπαλος. Μπορεί η Ελλάδα στο ranking της FIFA να είναι σε πολύ χειρότερη θέση από την Κροατία, αλλά δεν πρέπει να ξεχνάμε ότι μιλάμε για μία ομάδα που ήταν πρωταθλήτρια Ευρώπης. Σύμφωνοι, σε ατομικό επίπεδο είναι ασθενέστεροι από εμάς. Αλλά είναι μια ομάδα που έχει χάρισμα. Από την άλλη πλευρά, είναι γεγονός ότι έχουμε μια από τις καλύτερες ομάδες στην Ευρώπη. Και πρέπει να κάνουμε ό,τι είναι απαραίτητο για να προκριθούμε στο Παγκόσμιο Κύπελλο της Ρωσίας. Έχουμε χρόνο να προετοιμαστούμε κατάλληλα."

"Greece is indeed the worst possible opponent we could have. He is an unpleasant opponent. Greece may be in a much worse position than Croatia, but we must not forget that we are talking about a team that was a champion of Europe. Agree, individually, they are weaker than us. But it is a group that has a charisma. On the other hand, it is a fact that we have one of the best teams in Europe. And we have to do what is necessary to qualify for the World Cup of Russia. We have time to prepare properly. "

• Like it 2

The majority of the Croatian fans and media are very happy they got Greece as they say they shouldn't have a problem scoring a minimum of 2 goals at home and 1 on the road which will force Greece to open up and then fall apart.. I'm glad they want to play us and I'm happy they are so confident....

v Croatia Croatia.gif

Games won: 2
Games drawn: 3
Games lost: 1
Date Match Result Score Competition
10 Nov 1996 Croatia v Greece D 1-1 FIFA World Cup
30 Apr 1997 Greece v Croatia L 0-1 FIFA World Cup
10 Mar 1999 Greece v Croatia W 3-2 International Friendly
25 Apr 2001 Croatia v Greece D 2-2 International Friendly
07 Sep 2010 Croatia v Greece D 0-0 UEFA European Championship
07 Oct 2011 Greece v Croatia W 2-0 UEFA European Championship
  • Like it 5

They have been our Pelates come on don't f*ckin be scared. 

Good names bad team. That's who they are.

15 goals scored in their Group while we scored 17.

Even if we consider Gibraltar far worse than Kosovo if we exclude those goals we still scored more. 9 over their 8..

This is the Second best draw after Denmark. Switzerland and Italy are far more decent and performing

• Like it 3

Croatia after the 1998 World Cup have had big name players but they always under achieve, we saw that in the last Euros. Just as they did in Euro 2012 qualifying when Greece went to Zagreb and stifled them 0-0 and then we dispatched them 2-0 in Athens. Will do it again.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic