Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Just to correct someone above, we do not need to beat Gibraltar to qualify. That game is not counted since only games against the top 5 teams in the group count, and there is no way Gibraltar can jump Cyprus in 1 game so... we are in regardless..

It is a game Skibbe can try some new things out if he likes.

Edited by paokara777

Also, we would almost positively be in Pot B as most if not all the teams that make it to the playoff will be higher FIFA rank than us

edit: oh this was just said earlier..

Edited by paokara777

northern ireland revenge? We have a chance against all the teams but they're all decent as well. I'd prefer to face northern ireland or denmark I think.

italy/portugal are the toughest...

Edited by georgelaz

As of now, this is what it would look like, assuming it's based on FIFA rankings:

Pot A

3. Portugal

13. Wales

17. Italy

18/19. Croatia/Slovakia

Pot B

20. Northern Ireland

23. Sweden

26. Denmark

47. Greece

In this scenario, just hope we dodge Portugal or Italy. 

The pots are divided according to FIFA rankings, correct?

im pretty sure fifa wants italy to be there (same for portugal but they will advance by beating switzerland in the last game) so they won't give them a tough draw. i predict an italy-nothern ireland match-up if anything. 

i think we'll play against switzerland, although most of these teams are quite solid and it will be quite hard to advance. 

Edited by Boxou

Italy aren't ranked very high, hopefully they will be unseeded. 

I agree that fifa wants Italy at the world cup..they attract TV ratings, fans, merchandise sales, they have big name players etc... fifa will get more money and viewership.

whoever draws them may have to deal with the referee as well. 

Although Italy would be tough, would love for it to happen. For those posters who are from Melbourne it would be huge here!! So many Italians and Greeks and many who are friends and have had footballing banter for years, would love to see the 2 nations go head to head with so much on the line.

I don't really fear anyone, of course I prefer to avoid Portugal but the way we play suits playing sides that like to boss the ball. Skibbe sets the team up to counter with purpose, not like years gone by where we would just defend and offer nothing in attack. 
Whoever we get bring it on, 2 years ago making the playoffs seemed like a pipe dream.  All of this of course, assuming we don't poo the bed against Gibraltar. 

Edited by paokarag4

i made some calculations and its unlikely for them to be unseeded even if they lose. at the worst case they will be the worst seeded on points team. worst and most possible possible scenario;

seeded; italy, switzerland, wales, croatia

unseeded; greece, denmark, sweden, nothern ireland

worst 2nd slovakia

best scenario

switzerland, nothern ireland, sweden, italy

greece, slovakia, serbia, denmark

worst 2nd ukraine/croatia

Edited by Boxou

My prediction:

POT 1: Portugal or Switzerland, Wales, Italy, Croatia

POT 2: Sweden, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Greece

If Croatia fails,

Sweden may go into POT 1 and Ukraine into POT 2.

Whatever the outcome, we will be heavy underdogs, but if we are at our best we won't be easy. We conceded just 5 goals in our 8 games against the top 4 teams in our Group.  

I think back to Tzavellas goal in the last kick of the match, in the 95' min vs Bosnia in Greece. Got us a point. How valuable did that turn out to be.

• Like it 1

20 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

My prediction:

If Croatia fails,

Whatever the outcome, we will be heavy underdogs, but if we are at our best we won't be easy. We conceded just 5 goals in our 8 games against the top 4 teams in our Group.  

I think back to Tzavellas goal in the last kick of the match, in the 95' min vs Bosnia in Greece. Got us a point. How valuable did that turn out to be.

Was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. That was the difference for Greece. 

37 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

My prediction:

If Croatia fails,

With out Tzavellas goal we are not in the position today... That goal saved our campaign... I think there was less then a minute to play if I'm not mistaken... I remember I was on the plane from LA but we had not taken off yet and I was watching it on my ipad in my seat I screamed so loud "F*** Yes" the entire plane looked at me and I stood up and apologized. LOL

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic