Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

We have a serious offensive; Mantalos, Fortounis Mitro-Mykonos, Gianniotas and Karelis. Loads of firepower. They will have a lot to worry about too. 

Like the defence too, everyone is available this time. I have every confidence in Samaris and Maniatis as dual dm's.

Probably the most settled since 2014. Lets talk it up.

Edited by ausgreek

Fair comment Sheriff. The jury is out as the results have not arrived yet but the way they have been come along and looking at the squad now, I can reasonably see how Skibbe is going to go with his first 11 selections. They look more settled to me after 2 years of many changes.

I could pick a 23 man squad without hesitation, almost identical to them, whereas before, I would chop and change not being sure, like the coaches were, since 2014.

Still say we have had to rebuild and it's been horrendus to endure.  They might be at the better end now, I hope so anyway.

Edited by ausgreek

The Skibbe may start Mantalos at am. Fortounis/Karelis for lw perhaps.

Would like to see 3 5 2 although it won't happen. Expect 4 2 3 1 which is good anyway.

Edited by ausgreek

Apologies if this has already been posted....some past glories to get us pumped for tomorrow 2018 campaign - all the highlights of the 2014 qualifying. 

A lot of 1-0 of course but so much more. From the great start with Spyropoulos to the humiliating loss to Bosnia, the string of 1-0 and the amazing games against Romania to clinch it. Lots of excellent contributions from players who are now done for the Ethniki. As maddening as these games were, if the results for 2018 look anything like this I'd be very happy.

Edited by MykinesFC
Finishing my thoughts

I hope in this thread people will not root for Cyprus since they are playing against Greece. I understand we have Greek-Cypriots in this forum. But, we don't want Greece to drop points to a country who doesn't have a chance to qualify. 

Edited by Molon Lave

• 1 month later...

We got the group we wanted and the start we wanted with 9 points and good goal differential.

The table is set for them to grab at least 2nd spot now with the coming Bosnia match.  If the team is serious about returning to prominence they win that one at home.  

Guess we'll find out what they are really made of come November.

Παίρνει την Εθνική από το Καραϊσκάκη η αντιπολίτευση

Την... μετακόμιση της Εθνικής ομάδας από το Καραϊσκάκη αναμένεται να δρομολογήσει η αντιπολίτευση της ΕΠΟ, εφόσον βγει νικήτρια στις εκλογές της 26ης Οκτωβρίου.

Ένα σημαντικό θέμα που πρόκειται να απασχολήσει την αντιπολίτευση της ΕΠΟ, σε περίπτωση που πάρει τις εκλογές της Ομοσπονδίας, θα είναι και η έδρα της Εθνικής ομάδας.

Όπως αναφέρει η εφημερίδα «Live Sport» το αντιπροσωπευτικό μας συγκρότημα αναμένεται να... μετακομίσει από το «Καραϊσκάκη», κάτι για το οποίο θα ερωτηθεί βέβαια και ο Μίκαελ Σκίμπε ο οποίος θα στηριχτεί από την σημερινή αντιπολίτευση της ΕΠΟ, εάν εκείνη αναλάβει τις τύχες του ελληνικού ποδοσφαίρου μετά τις εκλογές της 26ης Οκτωβρίου.

Φυσικά προτεραιότητα αποτελεί ο έλεγχος από ορκωτούς λογιστές στα οικονομικά της Ομοσπονδίας και αν βρεθούν παρατυπίες το μόνο σίγουρο είναι πως την υπόθεση θα αναλάβει η Δικαιοσύνη.

Not quite sure where to post this, but either way. Im very happy to see that there is an opportunity that the national team will stop playing ALL our games at Karaiskaki. I'm tired of seeing one of the top european national teams constantly play in front of friends and family only,. 8 000 people attended the game versus Cyprus. Our first game of the qualifiers, a game against our brothers, it should have been a football fest in a full stadium.

Ideally Karaiskaki will only get games against the top sides like Belgium (perhaps also Bosnia), for the other games AEL FC Arena should be our main stadium, with some games also being played at Pampeloponnisiako, Pankritio and perhaps Kleanthis Vikelidis. The national team is for the whole country, not just Pireaus or Athens.

Edited by KOLOSSOS13

32 minutes ago, KOLOSSOS13 said:

Not quite sure where to post this, but either way. Im very happy to see that there is an opportunity that the national team will stop playing ALL our games at Karaiskaki. I'm tired of seeing one of the top european national teams constantly play in front of friends and family only,. 8 000 people attended the game versus Cyprus. Our first game of the qualifiers, a game against our brothers, it should have been a football fest in a full stadium.

Ideally Karaiskaki will only get games against the top sides like Belgium (perhaps also Bosnia), for the other games AEL FC Arena should be our main stadium, with some games also being played at Pampeloponnisiako, Pankritio and perhaps Kleanthis Vikelidis. The national team is for the whole country, not just Pireaus or Athens.

To be fair....It was raining like crazy the day they played Cyprus. Not weak rain, but torrential style rain with strong winds...

Edited by AEK RE GAMOTO

36 minutes ago, NikotheGreek said:

I 100% agree were your coming from i just think that's the only reason it might not happen

How much are tickets going for games do you or anybody know?

They should charge 5/10 per person max and let children in for free. 

Families will make a day/night of it and theres a chance of a nicely filled stadium with a nice atmosphere which at the end of the day will only help the players and who knows maybe give them a kick up the backside to play better football, unlike the 8-10k crowd they play infront of now, the game vs Cyprus was like a funeral, I understand the rain was bad that day but it was dreadful. Felt like a game behind closed doors.

Where are these days gone..

• Like it 1

mate I don't understand how people in Greece put there club in front of the national team. Secondly EPO  is not doing enough to promote the national team. they should make sure that the stadium is full at all times give away tickets to families if they have too. kaftazoglou stadium would be a perfect candidate I would even consider roofing the whole stadium. even get rid of the track increase the capacity to like 35 thousand.

• Like it 2

I'd rather see the Ethniki play in a stadium with a capacity of 15,000 that's sold out than see the Ethniki play in a stadium of 35,000 capacity with only a 1/4 of the people. In other words I want to see a stadium packed with heaps of chanting and noise.

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic