Phantis Forums

Road To Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup

Greece not qualifying for the UEFA Euro 2016 finals tournament in France could work in their favor in qualification for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup. The players get a proper off-season break. Complacency will not creep into the squad after being brought back down to earth in Euro 2016 qualifying.

I agree Greeko, they have been trying some more things and can use them ie. positional changes, formations, during qualifiers. Are we still playing Russia in a friendly as Gibraltor is in our group I'm reading?   

Yeah agreed. The level of some of the countries at this tournament is pretty dire. 

BTW I was speaking to my family in Greece the other day and they mentioned that the reason they thought the team did so badly during the qualifiers was as a direct result to what was going on in the country i.e mass unemployment, economic hardship, Grexit etc, they also mentioned that a lot of players were without salary during this time. All these factors, plus the added injuries, clueless manager contributed to team very low in morale and it showed with their performances.

When I presented this theory on here (or Greeksoccer) a while back, it was rubbished! 

War (especially the Falklands war, which was over a tiny island many miles from Argentina) is slightly different to what was happening in Greece i.e 50% youth unemployment, family's struggling to feed their children. When society is in a situation where there seems like there is no hope OF COURSE it has an effect on the national team, they cannot be immune to what is happening (after all it was effecting their friends and family and also them directly by all accounts). You could see it in the way the players were holding themselves in those games, Mitrolglou looked like he was a condemned man, there was little to no communication or effort between the players etc. 

I don't recall America losing the Vietnam war having an adverse effect on the countries performances in competitions. But I would imagine if a problem on the magnitude of the Great Depression was to befall the US again, things would be very very different. 

Edited by Chris Tsamados

Regardless of what the reason was or wasn't bottom line we STUNK and we still have not played a GREAT match since the EQ and that should concern us all as I fear this disaster is not over for us and will continue. I'm watching Belgium play Rep of Ireland right now and they are crushing them 3-0, can you imagine what this team is going to do to us. After watching a lot of these teams at the Euro even the so called s%$#! teams at least they all look like they are playing with passion and heart something our boys are clearly lacking. On paper we should be at the Euro but in reality we have fallen apart. I'm not sure there is enough time to fix this mess before the WQ.

ausgreek, my understanding is that Russia was initially going to play FIFA international friendly matches against the odd team from Greece's group that isn't playing a qualifier during every FIFA international date as it's one of the only two groups with five teams & not six. As Russia is the host they don't need to qualify & won't be included in the group but just a way to keep them active. Greece was due to play Russia away on 6 Sep 2016 & at home on 10 Oct 2017. Since then Kosovo & Gibraltar have been given FIFA membership & one will join the two groups with five teams. Kosovo was initially put into Greece's group but was later changed to Gibraltar because Greece & Cyprus still don't recognize Kosovo as a independent nations. I think Gibraltar will just replace Russia on the dates they had organized.

• Like it 1

The road to Russia 2018 will look something like this:

Netherlands v Greece: 1 Sep 2016 (Friendly)

Gibraltar v Greece: 6 Sep 2016 (WCQ)

Greece v Cyprus: 7 Oct 2016 (WCQ)

Estonia v Greece: 10 Oct 2016 (WCQ)

Greece v Bosnia & Herzegovina: 13 Nov 2016 (WCQ)

Friendly in Feb 2016?

Greece v Belgium : 25 Mar 2016 (WCQ)

Friendly in Apr/May 2017?

Bosnia & Herzegovina v Greece: 9 June 2017 (WCQ)

Greece v Estonia: 1 Aug 2017 (WCQ)

Greece v Belgium: 3 Sep 2017 (WCW)

Cyprus v Greece: 7 Oct 2017 (WCQ)

Greece v Gibraltar: 10 Oct 2017 (WCQ)

• Like it 3

Regardless of what the reason was or wasn't bottom line we STUNK and we still have not played a GREAT match since the EQ and that should concern us all as I fear this disaster is not over for us and will continue. I'm watching Belgium play Rep of Ireland right now and they are crushing them 3-0, can you imagine what this team is going to do to us. After watching a lot of these teams at the Euro even the so called s%$#! teams at least they all look like they are playing with passion and heart something our boys are clearly lacking. On paper we should be at the Euro but in reality we have fallen apart. I'm not sure there is enough time to fix this mess before the WQ.

I think we may have turned a corner, we looked pretty good during the two Australia games. For the first time in a long time I feel slightly hopeful. 

Pash,

As Russia is automatically qualified for WC2018 they were supposed to play friendlies against countries from groups with an odd number of teams. Like France did last years against the countries from the group of Serbia and Albania.

But as Gibraltar was added the friendly against Russia had to be cancelled.

• Like it 1

I don't think there is evidence that we have turned the corner, especially considering that the guys that started in the Australia games are not going to be the starters in the WQ, so realistically I don't see how we've changed yet.

I don't think there is evidence that we have turned the corner, especially considering that the guys that started in the Australia games are not going to be the starters in the WQ, so realistically I don't see how we've changed yet.

yeah I feel the same way. Two things that have me optimistic

1. Fortounis being a starter.

2. The chances are slim that are luck will be THAT bad to repeat our euro 2016 campaign. If we do bad, it'll probably be a 3rd or 4th place finish.

• Like it 1

I think the national team coach Michael Skibbe would of found a lot of positives from the long trip away in Australia for the two FIFA international friendly matches in Sydney & Melbourne against Australia. A long trip away is good for team morale & bonding. The boss can work on new playing systems or tactics. New players together with fringe players stepped in & impressed while some of Greece's star players like Mitroglou, Manolas, Fortounis, Karelis, Siovvas & Ninis stayed home to freshen up & shake off injuries. Some of Greece's senior players like Papastathopoulos, Samaris, Maniatis, Holebas & Torosidis were Greece's best players.

Edited by Greekaroos
  • Like it 1

Yeah agreed. The level of some of the countries at this tournament is pretty dire. 

BTW I was speaking to my family in Greece the other day and they mentioned that the reason they thought the team did so badly during the qualifiers was as a direct result to what was going on in the country i.e mass unemployment, economic hardship, Grexit etc, they also mentioned that a lot of players were without salary during this time. All these factors, plus the added injuries, clueless manager contributed to team very low in morale and it showed with their performances.

When I presented this theory on here (or Greeksoccer) a while back, it was rubbished! 

i would not take much notice of what they say in Greece on these issues..

Greeks are the ultimate negative talkers...

the players ARE ALL WELL PAID......You should know this.....the fact you quoted this from your family vindicates they are very poor in football knowledge..

let me ask you this question...

how come the economic situation did not hinder them from being a kick away from a WC QF???

Do you realise we lost to Faroe Islands at home 120 days after the penalty shoot out loss to CR??

We need to be careful not to fall for the 'greek trap'.

• Like it 1

If the Greek NT was filled with players from Niki Volos, OFI, Ergotelis, Kavala and the other clubs under financial stress then logically they may well not to be motivated to play for the national team as they aren't getting paid!

However this is NOT now not never been the case.

Did the Venezuela players fail to progress past the Quarters in the Copa America because their country is facing hyper inflation where a carton of eggs costs $200??? No!

The majority of the Greece team were not based in Greece. This is not a factor.

It's not even close to being plausible.

• Like it 2

On another note take a look at our record and Bosnia's over the last 2 years

BOSNIA.

BOS 2 JAP 1

BOS 2 DENMARK 2

BOS 1 SPAIN 3

BOS 2 SWITZERLAND 0

BOS 3 LUXEMBOURG 0

BOS 0 REP OF IRL 2

BOS 1 REP OF IRL 1

BOS 3 CYPRUS 2

BOS 2 WHALES 0

BOS 3 ANDORRA 0

BOS 3 ISRAEL 1

BOS 1 AUSTRIA 1

BOS 3 ANDORRA 0

BOS 0 ISRAEL 3

BOS 1 BELGIUM 1

This included the Euro qualifiers and friendlies they still finished 3rd in a much tougher group then us and had 5w 2d 3L 17points

Belgium 23pts

Whales 21pts

Bosnia 17pts

Israel 13pts

Cyprus 12pts

Andorra 0pts

Just for kicks we all no our results but when you put it side by side it's even scary then first thought.

Gr 0 Romania 1

Gr 1 Finland 1

Gr 0 N Ireland 2

Gr 1 Faroe 2

Gr 0 Hungary 0

Gr 0 Finland 1

Gr 0 Poland 0 (no Lewandowski)

Gr 0 Serbia 2

Gr 0 Romania 0

Gr 1 N Ireland 3

Gr 0 LUXEMBOURG 1

Gr 4 Hungary 3

Gr 0 Turkey 0 (turned out to be 3-0)

Gr 2 Montenegro 1

Gr 0 Aus 1

Gr 2 Aus 1

N Ireland 21pts

Romania 20pts

Hungary 16pts

Finland 12pt

Faroe Islands 6pts

Greece 6 Pts

Bosnia would have easily qualified if theu were in our group. Can some please look at this and explain to me where we have "Turned the corner" and the he F*** do we expect to challenge Bosnia for a World Cup spot? Looking at me his leading up the September we might not be able to beat Cyprus. I was just st looking at this and I don't see a scenario where we qualify.

• Like it 1

When albania and wales are winning games in the euros what can we say about greece? They did not play like professionals or have heart during past qualifiers. Look at Croatia small country national league sucks but they have excellent youth system and kids get scouted young which is why there league has nothing to show but NT does. Thats our problem its grass roots issue. Young kids in greece have a passion for watching the game more than playing. In Argentina there are tons of local leagues for amateurs to pro because people love to play soccer there and talented players get scouted young.

i remember this war well, we studied it as best we could, in school. the war and the humiliating loss was very traumatic for the argentines. this was a huge blow to national psyche - piled on from the joy of their humiliation by other s. americans who can't stand the arrogant argentines.....besides the chronic economic woes.

if the malvinas are many miles from argentina, how much further are they from the blessed plot of england?

as far as america losing the vietnam war..i haven't thought of any national humiliation because many americans were against the war...while the usa did fight this war halfheartedly operationally and tactically...while fighting it full-speed economically for the industrial war complex.

when the u.k. lost the suez to the egyptians in 1956, maybe this negatively affected england at the 1958 WC...we won't know because we can't make phone calls to 1956 england.

No but you can check historical records of the Olympic games during the Great Depression (not worth checking the World Cup as the US national team was a joke in those days):

1938 Germany topped the medals table, the last time the US didn't top the table was 1908!

Then you have this written about the 1932 Olympics: 

The 1932 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the X Olympiad, was a major worldwide multi-athletic event which was celebrated in 1932 in Los AngelesCaliforniaUnited States. No other cities made a bid to host these Olympics. Held during the  Great Depression, many nations and athletes were unable to pay for the trip to Los Angeles. Fewer than half the participants of the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam returned to compete in 1932. Even U.S. President Herbert Hoover skipped the event.

So you can see the effect the Great Depression had on sporting prowess. What was happening in Greece was no different, it leads to a feeling of apathy and hopelessness hardly attributes which your going to be able to mold a world beating side from. 

War on foreign soils is a different animal, compared to recession, as it doesn't tend to effect the pockets and morale of a nation. If you can barely afford to feed your children why would you care whats happening in a sport. 

Edited by Chris Tsamados
  • Like it 1

Spain had unemployment in the mid 20% between 2008-2012...they won 2 euros and a WC...

Sorry to disappoint you...Holebas, Kone, Manolas, Sokratis, Vyntra and co.....have not suffered or lost sleep over Greek debt crisis..

Fortounis and Mitro on mega  bucks + per year in their early to mid 20s and as much pussy as they want were not affected by any morale issues...

the problems were they were caught unawares mentally poorly prepared after a WC success...dropping points early...and Santos not blooding younger players properly in the team

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic