Phantis Forums

Australia-greece(7 June 2016, Etihad Docklands Stadium, Melbourne)

ausgreek

What a stark contest this game was in comparison to the game in Sydney! Was a really good game plan from Greece, pressing the Australian team from the get go! I think this win is a definitely a step in the right direction and hopefully gives the boys some confidence leading into the World Cup Qualifiers later in the year. Not to mention Greece were without 5 starting players. Really proud of the performance! 

• Like it 2

Skibbe mentioned after the game that we need to sharpen our defence on set pieces..

Manolas will help..so to K.Pap....

Our players looked a lot more skillful with their first touch than normal.....not sure because this is an area that aussies are very poor and it made us look good...

We bossed a lot of this match..on our terms...playing the style we enjoy...

from an Aussie perspective...

they can't play ....

..............Milligan...............

......Rogic...............Mooy

Leckie.......Cahill...........Kruse

against European opponents....not enough ball winners or cover....and it showed....

Aussies need to be more conservative against better opponents....

Jedinak will be 34 and Milligan 33 by WC.....They may struggle by then...

Burns is not cut out for this level...nor is Apo Jaannuu ..

Vellios lacks pace....too much of an old fashioned CF.......Mitro......and Klaus are still better strikers.....I think either one would have scored over these two matches..

They dont really have the idea of how 2nd or maybe even 3rd tier team they are.
Our C team won them, our C team should have drawn them. My prediction about 1 win for each team is confirmed. with same goals aggr as well.

However Jedinak , Milligan , Mooy  and Cahill would be starters in lots of 2nd tier teams of Europe , like Romania , Poland , Turkey.

The reason that the Australians feel so devastated losing to Greece  is because they are used to success. Champions of the AFC pretty easily , against garbage teams. The fact that they are in such an easy continent allowes them to participate in every WC without even trying. 

Another comment that some people might disagree with me. This Australian team is nothing less than Iceland , Romania, N. Irland.

They are better than Hungary, Finland Luxembourg and Faroe Isles.
This proves that we could and should not only have won those matches , but also dominated them as we did vs Australia.

I just hope these 2 years that passed the only problem was the mentality and not an impressive loss in talent and excitement for the NT.
If it isnt just focus on Basketball :P

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

I know the aussie team very well...and the aussie football system...

they are better than Finland and Hungary.....

Leckie is also very good.... they lack overall depth and talent...and get fooled very easily by a transfer to a 'eurpoean club',,,,some nobody signs in Norway or Denmark and suddenly they are called up...

the junior development path here is very poor....kids at a young age do not learn the game properly....that's why the Greece NT looked more comfortable with ball at feet..

Taking a close look at the A-League bloopers is htereason why someone taking a signing at europe gets called up suddently. Thats amateur football at ite finest. Apart from 3-4 big names over 34  who decided to spend 10 months in Australia just to see how it looks like, the rest can't seem to understand how important the difference of a good/bad pass is. Also their goalkeepers seem very trashy. A-League should be rated between our

• Like it 1

^ calm down re lol

Well i ve just noticed the bloopers but the players really seem bad. The stadiums are huge and almost always full and yet they dont seem to be able to attract better players or interest for the game. Aus seems like USA #2. Noone cares for football that they even renamed it

Australia gets an easy qualification path to the WCUP, there squad is not all that bad though, here Canada NT is an utter joke they have not quallified for a WCUP since 1986 and they look woeful. They got smashed 8-1 by Honduras in the last WCUP campaign in a game they just needed a draw to go to next round. Players dont have a clue how to play attacking football and lack simple technical skills and tactics. A few of there starting 11 play in NASL? Also the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) is corrupted...

I was talking for their National League not their National Team.

Australian media is a joke in general, especially when it comes to football. I don't take any note of what they say/write in regards to "Soccer" because I know 99% is not true. Neos kosmos is having a go at the Herald Sun for there poor reporting of the "incidents" and I must say good on them. Neos Kosmos is tiny compared to HS on a national scale but still good to see someone take it up to a glorified trashy magazine

• Like it 1

As bad as it was the more attention they get the more they laugh and get what they set out to achieve. This is not the 1st time they have trashed the game or fans and it surely wont be the last. Labelling them soccer street terrorists made me laugh and I said it the day before they will label us terrorists soon and within 24 hours they did just that.

One thing that I didn't agree with there was a page on FB Greek Australian Pride I think it was, after all that was said and done by the media these guys were actually posting and asking people who were interested in speaking to the media as they were on their way back to Adelaide, my problem with that is why would you even consider speaking to the media after the trashing they gave us Greeks? You think they actually care what our response would be? F*** the media and if they did speak to them then they are dickheads the lot of them.

I find the Australian media to be very tiring after all these years, every soccer headline in the past use to be "soccer shame"..now they have added terrorist to the list of buzz words they use to try create a storm. They could not find one instance of violence yet that's how they reported it. So many news worthy stories out of Melbourne that they could have run this week and they picked out a festive football crowd to pick on, they thrive on it. Could you imagine if Australia was filled with Latinos who are even more hardcore than us European wogs? They would die lol. This will die down and then next week they will run a Bernard Tomic or nick Kyrgios story to run just to keep the casual racism ticking over. I just try tune out now.