Phantis Forums

Australia-greece(7 June 2016, Etihad Docklands Stadium, Melbourne)

ausgreek

As Australia have the same problem, the Ethniki Must solve their front third problem, it seems that a lack of a quality AM/dekari stifles their central strickers, whether it be Vellios or Mitroglou or anyone else. Not playing a decent dekari for me says a coach is an amateur. I feel for our Ethniki till we actually land a decent coach. I find it difficult from now on to ever blame Mitroglou in future when he isn't able to influence a match. That is the worst midfield to ever come to these shores from Europe, no doubt.

It is impossible to blame Vellios and Diamantakos for not having any influence on the Sydney match, the boring midfielders that Skibbe had chosen stifled the attack. I hope Skibbe wakes up out of the trance and plays Mantalos at AM, this will change how we look in attack, given he will be available for the Melbourne match.

Need some shots on goal  in any given match. That was the Worst midfield combination to come to these shores ever from out of Europe. Very very poor. Imagine Tzioli played,but can't blame him for that.

How has Mitroglou put up with that for so many years without saying anything?

Their tactics look similar to what Socceroos were doing in 2014. The edge players pump it up and cross in to goal, in Greece's case, to their tall strickers, usually Mitroglou though, in Sydney it being Vellios.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Well after a heartbreaking loss in Sydney, the ethniki give it another go in Melbourne against the same Australia team they just lost to. I see ausgreek started two threads with the same title below, I suggest we merge them into this. I would do it myself as a mod, but this section is out of my jurisdiction.

Lets hope for a man of the match performance by the big Tziol! Where has Gianniotas been, why hardly any recognition by other coaches? He has speed to burn. Sok should get time in the second half.  

Like to think Petros Mantalos at AM. If so, I won't mind Tziol starting if that happens. I actually hope to see Tachtsidis start with Samaris-although may not play due to injury. If so, Taxi alongside Maniati the man! I'm think Pelkas is available for this one, if so, like to see him play during the match.

I certainly hope that Maniati turns to acting in Greek dramas when he retires.

Skibbe must play up through the middle vis Samaris, Taxi and Mantalos and via the right to Gianniota. Stuff going to Torosidis every play then crossing to M Ryan. That is a real pisser. Need structure coach!

Edited by ausgreek

Skibbe would be stupid not to throw in Mandalos for this game just so we have more go forward in attack as we had nothing first half in Sydney, 2nd half we played a very little bit of football but still there was no urgency let alone cohesion in the team.

I hope there a new faces in this line up as the line up he went with the other night was terrible

Seeing as though the jet lag will most likely be gone by then we all should see some better football from the Greeks...

there is very little skibbe  can do with the available personal.....

Greece has only a handful of creative attacking midfielders....Fortounis, Kone, Fetfa, Ninis...and none of them are in Australia..

There is not much he can do with the squad that we have here.

I couldnt be bothered sticking around 90 minutes for the training session last night and went home after the npl match..people waited around for 20 minutes and said stuff it, weather was crap as well.

Its true about the brand and the very very long wait we will have to see this team again. The ffa had delusions of sell out crowds based on what happened 10 years ago. The reality is back in 2006 the ethniki would have packed out any stadium in australia, usa, canada and even germany. Those days are dead.for the next couple of decades this team wont venture out of europe that much aside from the odd trip across the atlantic to play in the states. Forget about them coming to the other side of the world any time soon..provided we dont host a world cup of course.

I just hope they give us 1 goal to cheer tomorrow night so we can at least have a memory to hold onto...even if it means we lose 2-1

After the no show at the airport, the no show at training Hellas Fan Club Melb don't seem to have the interest they showed last week. The admin of that page commented yesterday "we don't talk to s%$#! cunts who don't have pride for the jersey" then added "we don't support the players we support the country" those boys down there don't seem happy, but they were happy to bag Sydney siders last week for the small attendance at the airport.....

OS it's a pretty argument and I wouldn't stoop down to that level.

Credit to the Sydney crowd. I was filled with pride towards the end of the game when the active area went nuts with the singing and flags. Showed up the rest of the crowd. Credit to everyone who met them at the airport too.

• Like it 2