Phantis Forums

Turkey

Guest PastMember

Guest PastMember

Turkey warns Germany against recognising Armenian Genocide

By Paul Antonopoulos - 01/06/2016

image2.jpeg

Turkey?s President Erdogan warned Germany that its plans to recognise the Armenian Genocide would damage bilateral ties. This comes despite German Chancellor Angela Merkel being an advent supporter of Turkey?s accession into the European Union. Erdogan claimed that Germany was being deceived without mentioning who by. ?If Germany is to be deceived by this, then bilateral diplomatic, economic, trade, political, and military ties ? we are both NATO countries ? will be damaged,? he said. The Greens Party have pushed for the resolution to occur and it is expected that it will be passed on Thursday. Ottoman forces began in 1915 to slaughter 1.5 million Armenians, a million Greeks and 700,000 Assyrians. The vote was to take place last year on the 100th anniversary verses of the beginning of the genocide but Merkel?s parliamentary allies, wanting to avoid tensions with Turkey, kept pushing it back.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/turkey-warns-germany-armenian-genocide-recognition/ | Al-Masdar News

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Issues have been simmering in Turkey for a while now, Islamist Erdogan had something like this coming.

Shame Greece can't get their own shop in order, while Turks are at each other's throats.

Act 1: Coup d'etat

Act 2: Victorious Leader

Act 3: Referendum

Final Act: President (Fuhrer!)

And curtains... Great play, standing ovation and all...

Yeah the coup leaders gave up rather quickly.... You'd think that it would last longer than five hours.

It's over. A badly organized coup and a miserable failure. Even though I think Erdogan is a maniacal dictator and I wouldn't be upset if he was deposed, I don't think military coups are the way.  But, not only the planning was bad, they miscalculated the reaction of the people and even within the armed forces.  Frankly if there were elements who might have supported a coupe against Erdogan, they wouldn't risk their lives unless the coup would seem to be successful.  If the leadership, especially the prez and pm and some other key power heads aren't arrested, usually there's no chance for a coup to succeed.

Further, let's assume the challengers were honest in wanting to "restore democracy", did they realize that if they failed Erdogan would emerge even more of an brutal authoritarian?  He now has an excuse for more retribution against his enemies, including those who had nothing to do with this coup....

Amateurs...  I can hear some Greeks saying "the colonels" knew how to make a successful coup! 

• Like it 1

a turkish helicopter just landed in alexandroupolis. inside were military that were involved in the coup and now ask asylum in greece. how the hell did they landed without intervene? or did greece gave permission to land? interesting developments.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/210510/article/ekathimerini/news/turkish-military-helicopter-lands-in-northern-greece-crew-requests-asylum

i also read and heard that pro coup players have taken over a frigate and are also underway to greece.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1143060/turkish-frigate-seized-golcuk-naval-base-greek-army-source/

Edited by Nikitas

Say we had voted in a non-idealist who wanted a strong Greece. 

Tsipras does not want a strong Greece? Reaper get a grip dude. You are drunk off the anti left kool aid.

I don't know what his current approval ratings are, ot sure why you are mentioning his popularity. What I said was that if you believe Tsipras does not want a strong Greece, then you are allowing your distaste for leftists to cloud your reasoning in this specific case.

If we could set up a proper debate that would be quite nice, but in this forum the field is not level. In any case, I said my piece, if you want to make it about something else like popularity or wtv, so be it.

There was a super article on Tsipras' interview yesterday, don't be afraid to give it a read.

http://forums.phantis.com/topic/15072-tsipras/?p=283477

Why would I be afraid to read an article?

On another note, it would be nice if you could give some kind of notice like: "this post is under construction" or something in that vein. Because you make a post, then you go back an edit it, I wanna make sure I don't miss anything is all. 

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Ankara had asked Athens to send the eight back following Friday night's challenge to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's rule by discontented soldiers in which more than 250 people died.

'We have requested Greece to extradite the eight traitors as soon possible,' Cavusoglu was quoted as saying by HaberTurk television.

Around 300-400 members of the Muslim minority of Greece, meanwhile, staged a demo outside Alexandroupolis airport calling for the 'traitors' to be sent back, an AFP photographer witnessed.

Hold on a second...are these muslims in Greece, -  Greeks or Turks???

probably a turkish minority , if i can remember right , erdogan often complained to greece about the lack of rights for them.

This was a very bad thing for Turkey as it allows Erdogan to be more dictatorial and imperial, which is not good for Greece. A lot of people died and more will because of this, dare I say, amateurish coup. I'm not supporting military coups by the way....

Thousands of judges, officials, real and imagined enemies of the current government are fired or arrested within hours of this coup. Those lists of "undesirables" (political enemies or critics of Erdogan) were made before the coup. The state institutions and others, also the news media, will further be controlled by the authoritarian ruler now.

Democracy isn't always desirable or even understood by many peoples. Turkey and Russia are such examples. The authoritarian rulers enjoy popular support. This coup failed in part because Erdogan has the support of a large mass of Turks. Nowadays the social media make it possible to mobilize people. Controlling the traditional news media isn't enough.

Another effect will be that Turkey can forget joining the EU for decades now.... What? Who wants to be in the EU? :la: :whistle: