Phantis Forums

Modern Greek History

Since there is already a page on ancient Greek history, I thought I'd make one for modern Greece, relating to the Greeks struggle to break free of Turkish occupation and how the modern state of Greece was formed.

If you're interested I found this video of Greek history from 1821

• Like it 1

I agree, Greek history post-Byzantine empire has been anything but glorious. There have been some proud moments, but mostly followed by setbacks, defeats and disasters. This subject often gives a 'what could have been' feeling, because of what events did not go Greece's way, although I should be grateful for the ones that did.

As far as I know the term Byzantine empire was invented after 1453 A.D.  The Encyclopedia Britannica writes

The very name Byzantine illustrates the misconceptions to which the empire?s history has often been subject, for its inhabitants would hardly have considered the term appropriate to themselves or to their state. Theirs was, in their view, none other than the Roman Empire, founded shortly before the beginning of the Christian era by God?s grace to unify his people in preparation for the coming of his Son. Proud of that Christian and Roman heritage, convinced that their earthly empire so nearly resembled the heavenly pattern that it could never change, they called themselves Romaioi, or Romans.

The Turks called the subjects of the Empire Rum, we have the term

I agree with go bekli last comment....

I strongly believe Modern Greece has done quite well.....if one looks at the 18th or 19th century as a starting point....

a lot of 'what was lost' and 'what should/could have been' is based on romantic misconceptions...If one takes the view that '1453' was unavoidable then we have done well..

the question that can't be answered is what if 1453 did not happen??

my answer is blind and unfounded.....well look at Spain? Italy? Portugal?  just as possible examples...

• Like it 2

Let us not exaggerate.  The fall of the City was the last chapter of a process that started at Manzikert (or earlier).  Eventually, the Byzantine emperors became vassals of the Turk sultans.  As an example, in 1390 Bayezid 1 conquered Philadelphia (today AlaShehir).   The emperor Manuel II was there, helping his liege lord.  

Symbolism aside, the fall of the City made official what was already real.  

It should also be noted that

(1) the last Palaeologos' mother was a Slav who, as far as we know, did not claim to be a descendant of Alexander the great.  Nevertheless, how many Greek patriots nowadays would be happy to be serving a 50%-Slav emperor. 

(2) The City was not taken by the Turks.  It was taken by the Janissaries.

• 11 months later...

My brother brought this to my attention: a very interesting article with Greek historian Vasilis Kremmydas talking about economic conditions in Greece around the time of the Greek War for Independence in 1821. He talks about myths that were weaved somehow into the fabric of Greek history (like the myth where Bishop Germanos of Patra (Παλαιών Πατρών Γερμανός) οn March 25, 1821, blessed the fighters at Agia Lavra in Achaea and raised a banner of war), the economic conditions surrounding Greeks at the time. 

A very interesting reading for history buffs and those that like to educate themselves as to what were the real conditions and what really happened during the Greek War of Independence.

Ο Βασίλης Κρεμμυδάς καταρρίπτει έναν-έναν τους μύθους του 1821 (κι όχι μόνο το Κρυφό Σχολειό) Πηγή: http://www.lifo.gr/articles/book_articles/93091

(Unfortunately it's in Greek only, so some readers might have to resort to online translation services - it's well worth the time ! )

What are you doing, man?  Don't you remember that a few years ago I was fighting a bunch of people here on such matters of historical truths? 

Let's just say that what most modern Greeks know of their history is based on school books that omit half of the pertinent events and on popular myths that most countries make up to foster nationalism.

• 4 months later...

Well maybe it is not exactly 100 years ago...... We had the Julian calender that days. After the Gregorian calender was introduced it suddenly was August 18th. Same happend with the Russian October Revolution. They remember it overthere on November 7th nowadays.......