Phantis Forums

AEK vs Panathinaikos

Original 21

Big game this Sunday against Panathinaikos. No Mantalos, no Galo, and No Zuculini for this game will hurt us. A win here and we are in great position to finish the season. I'd start something like this:

----------------------------Anestis

Bakakis----Kolovetsios------Arzo---------Didac

Vargas--------Simoes---Johanson-----Barbosa

--------------------Aravidis---Pekhart---------------

We don't have enough central mids to go with a 4-3-3 in this game so I'm expecting some formation changes.

Even with the injuries, you guys should win this one. A lot of disharmony with the greens, new coach, many new players... should be a good game. The only saving grace for Pao I think is Berg, he's probably the best striker in the league.

Huge game at home and a chance to make 2nd spot ours as a 7 point lead on PAO will pretty much guarantee us 2nd. The real worry is what we do in the middle with Mandalos and Zucu out. Does Poyet change the formation or show faith in someone who hasn't played in the middle this season? Does he give Diego the chance even though he has not shown too much faith in him? I honestly think Diego wouldn't be a bad option as PAO's defence is pretty average and him running at them on the break/counter can hurt them.

Bakakis coming in for Galo is not an issue he can hold his own.

Pekhart will surely start after he opened his account for us.

I got a feeling Poyet may change the formation to a 4-2-3-1 and the line up will be something like this:

Baroja

Bakakis Arzo Kolo Didac

Simeos Johanssen

Aravidis Barbosa Vargas

Pekhart

Or he may keep the 4-3-3 and have Barbosa in Mandalos role.....

I like that lineup better actually, but with Vargas in the middle, and Barbosa on the wing. For this game I would actually play Aravidis on the left, and Barbosa on the right and have them cut into the middle with the ball more than usual and attempt to score more.

Honestly Panathinaikos does not scare me at all, they have a weak midfield and a weak defense. The only thing they have is Berg who is the best striker in the league, and Kaltsas and Vlachodimos on the wings have been decent lately. They also have a really bad coach and no depth. A serious AEK should win this game without many problems.

• Like it 1

Original I agree mate, they don't really worry me either, I feel we have the edge over the in all areas on the park except the front line. Our defence is better, our midfield is better. Their wingers may be good but we contained Oly's wingers 2 weeks ago and they are much better than PAO's wingers, so that doesn't worry me either.

Add to the fact they are in turmoil and the pressure is on them to win this game so they don't lose 2nd spot, its a great time to be playing them.

I wasn't too sure who would play behind the striker, I thought he may throw Barbosa there since he's been in fine form and has played there a couple times and leave Vargas out wide......

Amo I would love to see Diego start against PAO as I think his pace and dribbling on the break can hurt PAO but it seems Poyet doesn't show much faith in him, as for Platellas I would be very surprised if he starts also