Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece-Montenegro(24 March 2016, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus

Omonoia9

Good that we got couple of goals and a win, team needed this.

I like our pressing, best I have seen it in a long time.

We need to play faster though, too much walking when we get the ball and take a throw in quickly. I can tell you guys vs Australia if we play at this pace they will dominate us comfortably.

Fortounis was great and when Karelis came on alongside Mr Flat he opened up some space. I thought Oikonomou looked very good too.

Overall - need to pick it up a gear, play with better pace and things will happen

Agreed, this team has to believe it can win again.

Still a good start ... Let's not forget how long it took for us to get a W after Mr. Tinkerman took over ... This is a psychological boost, and I like the foundation being laid. 

That said, we need better ball movement in midfield, better off ball movement by the midfield, and less lackadaisical play after a goal. 

Fortounis is a good player and may finally be a solid 10 for the future.

I would like to see Tachtsidis get some time over Samaris against Iceland.

I don't see anything in Petsos' game that indicates he can be a player we can rely on against top European competition. 

Would like to see Kone-Lazaros as 8's with the ability to drift wide, keep the ball, and take some defenders off the dribble.

I thought we played a good match. Sokratis was good, Fortounis was good.

Manolas should have done better in the corner. Tzavellas played well also. Stafylidis showed he can be a big part to this team he shows great energy down the left and is good with the ball at his feet.

Samaris was very average for me. Tachtsidis should take his place next game. We must play Petsos again. He was very good in his positioning, he is faster and more agile than Tachtsidis but Tachtsidis is technically better.

Torosidis was average. 

Oikonomou looked good also.

What a player Karelis is! he and Fortounis must play in the same line up, that was a good finish.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

Would really like to see Vellios get a shot in the next friendly. Something like the below.

--Karnezis--

--Manolas--Sokratis--Tzavellas--

--Torosidis--Samaris--Tachtsidis--Stafylidis

--Fortounis--

--Vellios--Karelis--

Pelkas would have been very useful today, it's good that he was called up for the Iceland match. Worked well with Mantalos/Fortounis a few months ago, so a 4-2-3-1 might be in order.

• Like it 1

Not sure about Karellis. It was a good goal but not sure if he is starting material, He scored a great goal in the qualifiers and was a big disappointment from then on. Makes so many errors and has problem with his control and gets disposed easily.

With Mitro I have never thought he was good enough. His skills work great for league games only but we never had any real alternative. Hopefully this is changing.

If we can include players like Vlahodimas, Kone and Mavrias we will take pressure of four defense and create better and clearer opportunities for our strikers. Chasing the ball all day is so tiring. We cant keep playing like this!

Otto selected players that gave us a strong defense with swift counter attacks and we must use the same formula. Our midfielders were not moving up to support when we were attacking. Only Fortounis was. We had no options and they always had more players behind the ball than us. There were no players in the centre to receive any crosses or passes many times. I certainly miss Samaras. We went downhill fast after the World Cup.

Mitro too slow....maybe his beard

samaris was in 2nd gear  scary

monalos tired 

Torosidis was ok

Karelis...not bad

Petsos needs to change his name

Tziolis ...WTF I thought we did his 40 days last year

Papastathop ..was ok

Stfilidis was a burp

highlights in HD

We looked really good if you ask me. Fortounis looks really dominate. Mitroglou is menacing, I think we need him in there.

Iceland we gotta see Tachtsidis, Velios in there.

Why didn't Holebas play?

• Like it 2

highlights in HD

We looked really good if you ask me. Fortounis looks really dominate. Mitroglou is menacing, I think we need him in there.

Iceland we gotta see Tachtsidis, Velios in there.

Why didn't Holebas play?

I like Petsos shot.

Karelis wise move not passing to a possibly offside Mitro to get the goal.

Edited by georgelaz

The 2 LB in the same 11. is not a long term option in any formation...  regardless how they are 'meant to play'...(Tzavellas/Staf).

I did not see the game but..was Tzavellas a third CD?

And yes a lack of wingers is a problem...Vlaxodimos is not the answer....he has no football brain..

The 2 LB in the same 11. is not a long term option in any formation...  regardless how they are 'meant to play'...(Tzavellas/Staf).

I did not see the game but..was Tzavellas a third CD?

And yes a lack of wingers is a problem...Vlaxodimos is not the answer....he has no football brain..

I havent been following Greek Football for a while but when I saw Vlahodimos a few months back, he was MVP for one PAO game. I cant comment that he has no football brain as I havent seen enough of him. What I have seen i have been impressed with his goals and assists and have seen no indication that he is retarded. In this game we would have been better with him than without him.

Guys didn't watch the game but Mitro looked quite lively in the highlights. Turned in the box and had a great chance deflected off target and his link up play with Fortounis was good. He just needs some support up front, at Benfica with Jonas alongside the two work hard for each other. Sometimes Jonas scores and sometimes Mitro scores.

With Samaris he's been playing at CB for Benfica for the last two months, perhaps this affected his game a little?