Phantis Forums

GK-QF-L1: Panionios - PAOK FC (27-Jan-16, 15:00 GR

Blackhawk

Well that was a ... how shall we say ... limp performance.  Terrible.  If you didn't know better, you'd think it was just a training session.  No energy, no cohesion.  Skondras very poor.  Costa was surprisingly decent.  Tzavellas good, one of the few that looked comfortable with the ball and generally covered space well.  Korovesis decent.  Tziolis is Tziolis.  Cimirot below average compared to other games.  Up front, everyone was quiet.

I think without Charisis in the middle there was too much of a gap between the midfield and the attackers.  Cimirot tried to push forward, but couldn't quite do the job.   I don't think Cimirot is technical enough to play that number 8 role consistently.  Pelkas didn't help either.  Should've come deeper and tried to run the midfield.

Did Tzandaris touch the ball ? ;)

Edited by Bananas

The only way that situation is improved while Tziolis is in the midfield, is to have someone like Kace there to actually cover ground. As you said, Charisis could/does also do that - but if he's out, then Kace needs to be in there.

Good to see Pelkas score again though.

Tziolis cops a lot of flack but it's for "side ways passes" or "he's slow" or "back passes".  That stuff doesn't actually bother me.  What bothers me is that when he passes he doesn't then look to get into space to give the player with the ball options.  After he passes he generally just stops.  Kick and run!! Kick and run!!  Soccer 101, at least to me anyway.  Where the heck is Kace anyway ?

Edited by Bananas

Good result considering we play like s%$#! in the last few games. We still have a chance to qualify, but with such display it makes no difference, since we don't have what it takes to eliminate the other big three to make the final.

Unfortunately we have become a "small team" with "small team" attitude. The season started with such great expectations, but it slowly turns out to be another wasted one. I really though we might make some improvements in the second half of the season, but it looks like Tudor might be too inexperienced to move this team forward. And now he gets his ego get in the way, ruining the chemistry of the team.

Like I said, we will probably qualify, but I don't see us having any luck in the semis unless we really start performing.

Costa, Tzavellas, and Korovesis probably our best players today, and in my opinion none of those three should even be on PAOK's roster.

Mak, Klaus, Skondras very poor in the last few games.

• Like it 1

Good result considering we play like s%$#! in the last few games. We still have a chance to qualify, but with such display it makes no difference, since we don't have what it takes to eliminate the other big three to make the final.

Unfortunately we have become a "small team" with "small team" attitude. The season started with such great expectations, but it slowly turns out to be another wasted one. I really though we might make some improvements in the second half of the season, but it looks like Tudor might be too inexperienced to move this team forward. And now he gets his ego get in the way, ruining the chemistry of the team.

Like I said, we will probably qualify, but I don't see us having any luck in the semis unless we really start performing.

Costa, Tzavellas, and Korovesis probably our best players today, and in my opinion none of those three should even be on PAOK's roster.

Mak, Klaus, Skondras very poor in the last few games.

Agree Blackhawk, but I can't see how it could've gone any other way.  12 players were brought in, and a lot of dead wood was released.  The only thing I'm not happy about is that the team still seems to lack chemistry.  One week we can be playing well, and the next it's like their sleep walking.  The performance in this game was poor.  If you didn't know any better, you'd think you were watching Beta Ethniki standard.  The ball was like a pinball most of the game.

Disagree about Tzavellas.  Last season I wanted him gone really bad.  He wasn't playing well and then the crap with the manager, I was happy for him to go.  But from what I've this season, he's transformed.  Playing really well.  Comfortable on the ball.  He's the only defender who when he has the ball at his feet, doesn't seem to panic.  I'd go so far as to say he's our best defender overall at the moment.  Skondras has really regressed.  Not sure what is going on with him but if he's not careful he'll be out of the team at this rate.

On the plus side this season, Pelkas, Mystakidis, Charisis, Cimirot, Konstantinidis all seem like they'll be good squad players for the foreseeable future.  Even Korovesis the last few weeks has been solid.  Rodriges has been good overall.  And Jairo seems like he's actually ready to play ball now.  The squad is young which is also good.  Mak overall, has had an excellent season even if he has been poor recently.  Maybe he needs a spell.

I agree with blackhawk but one thing i have in mind is we are one click away from beating AEK and PAO easily.... Against AEK if a few things went differently we would of taken the game easily, some points being tudor's mistakes other being young players need confindence and experiance. 

AEK and PAO are both pretty average compared to the past and i do believe if the team can click shore up the defence we can easily beat them, Olympiacos is miles ahead but in a final in 90 minutes anything can happen, especially in Greece. 

The month of Feb is the biggest month of the season for us these fixtures can easily make the season turn out to be ok and push on to the playoffs or the team can go completely downhill lose points, sack tudor and start again. 

Very exciting month a lot of big games coming up. 

AEK does not have wingers, very average defence and tbh aravidis, djibbour are useless for a big 4 club. 

Panathinakos has a lot of players who can do something, but apart from essien all young, or there and there abouts but nothing crazy.... They seem to be building something with their new italian coach but it would be nice for us to tear that apart.