Phantis Forums

Serait-il vrai que nous n'avons rien appris ni rien oublie?

Go:bekli

Life was very cheap for most of human history (and, sadly, still is in some parts & cultures). Everybody, and I mean everybody was a barbarian. Of course, the new countries (after 17th c) chose to hide the attrocities of their ancestors and highlight the ..genocides of others.

If I were the king of the Balkans and the greater area, I'd have everybody do a DNA check, so they could see how everybody is related going back only a few centuries.

What is the ancestors' influence? Genetic? Cultural? Myths?

In other words, are we bound to do or be like our ancestors?

Culture, which includes indoctrination of people, makes them who they are. Of course, there are exceptions that break off the mold, but most people follow and aren't interested in the facts if the facts (and history) make them uncomfortable.

Shhhhhhh. Be quiet. Nobody likes this stuff.

Certain topics cannot be discussed, because they invariably turn into:

• who did the worst or who started it first (no limit how far back you can go); once this is established, then the other side(s) have a reason to excuse everything that followed, no matter how bad it seems....
  • tribalism dictates that "the others" are sub-human, increadibly stupid, and their culture sucks.
  • throw in some conspiracy and magical thinking
  • sex! oh, yeah! The best defenders of the historical truth, fighters for god, team, and country, happen to also think that they're great F***ers.. and, who apparently want to demonstrate how right they are by wanting to F*** their opponents! :1eye:
  • the glory of the ancestors curse.... (can you guess this one?)

I am a simple man, simpleton according to my wife, who cannot keep in his mind two incompatible ideas.  Such as receiving a like and the advice to not write what earned me the like!  I was told that sometimes  the true meaning of what is  expressed may be the opposite of the literal interpretation of the utterance.  But this does not help any.  When I must choose between two incompatible statements, how can distinguish among ?#1 is false?, ?#2 is false?, and ?both #1 and #2 are false??

Whatever, our national poet stated that

I am a simple man, simpleton according to my wife, who cannot keep in his mind two incompatible ideas.  Such as receiving a like and the advice to not write what earned me the like! 

I was told that sometimes  the true meaning of what was  expressed may be the opposite of the literal interpretation of the utterance.  But this does not help any.  When I must choose between two incompatible statements, how can distinguish among ?#1 is false?, ?#2 is false?, and ?both #1 and #2 are false??

Whatever, our national poet stated that

• Like it 1

I am under the impression that this thread has acquired  a Mr Hyde and Dr Jekyll aroma.  Mister Hyde commits crimes against the collective national memory (or the lack of same) and Dr Jekyll is egging him on!   But, luckily, the world is full of descendants of Greeks who were educated at the local "