Phantis Forums

Gustavo Poyet

Original 21

Starting Tuesday he will be giving the team a "mini preseason" with some longer practices and more focus on fitness and tactics than we normally would do during the season. The long break came at a perfect time, and only Aravidis will be missing from practice on NT duty. I don't think Vargas or Baroja have to go to Venezuelan team this time. During this time he will decide what additional positions, if any, that he wants transfers in along with a new striker and center back.

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well let's hope so ... but I don't like the mentality of cheering when you drag away a win from Panthrakikos (with all due respect to Panthrakikos of course). I don't think we should've let Dellas go, even though it was his "own decision"...

I think Platella is a very important part of the squad and if we were to kick him out, or for him to leave come january, it would show a great deal of ignorance on Poyiet's part. He, just like Della believes that he can make Diego a winger, and switch the entire front line to cater to his (and Vargas' if vargas didn't pull what he did) needs. The sooner he realizes that you can't turn Diego into a winger, the better. Even if we acquire a really good RW, Platella still should have a spot on the squad, but what is happening now is a complete waste of a player who was constantly improving. 

Diego doesn't have the body or the endurance to play on the wing and muscle or speed passed defenders throughout the game without getting gassed. His best role is behind Aravidi and in front of Mandalo. Or to come in as a sub. Platella, you can say anything about , but the guy creates HAVOC on the opposing side because he is able to break into the box with ease. Not to mention he does a lot of little things that people don't acknowledge. 

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Melissanidis, Do whatever it takes to keep Poyet at AEK for many years and give him support in the transfer market. Given the roster we have, and the win streak we are on, he is probably the best coach in Greece at the moment. He will lead us to a protathlima one day soon if you back him.

• Like it 1

No he hasn't but he has got tutors who are teaching him Greek so surely this must say something if he is attempting to learnt the language.

He has done a fantastic job so far, read the other day last time AEK was 8 from 8 was 10 years ago.

He knows the game, he knows what he needs to succeed, he can attract players just because of who he is, he just needs the backing and support of management and then we can honestly mount a good title challenge next season.

Dikefale I agree I really cant stand seeing people call him tight and bag him, do they realise where AEK would be if he didn't step in? The sad thing is some people just don't have patience, he isn't going to build a championship winning team in one season, but the team he has built is full of talent and with a few more faces we can only get stronger.

Juve is my prime example, they got relegated and it took them 5 years to get where they are and look at them now, ok we aren't going to be making CL finals if we do WOW but the set up and approach they took worked for them and it didn't happen in a season.

He is tight and stingy, that's a fact. No one is above criticism, he made a bunch of mistakes. Hand picking Djebour as our starting striker, spending less money than we did last year on transfers even though we made a ton of profits, and trusting Bajavic who thinks the game hasn't changed since the 90's and is the reason we started poorly. Poyet is the only thing he paid for, and he will leave in the summer if he doesn't get back in the transfer market.

No one asked for millions to be dumped into the team, but re p***** mou would spending 400k for an experienced center back other than Arzo hurt us financially or would signing a real striker during the summer instead of Djebour hurt?

It looks like he's starting to wake up at least.

• Like it 1

Correct Original and I do agree and yes they made mistakes and will still make some along the way its only normal and many clubs suffer this at times, BUT as long as they see their mistakes and fix it then we as fans should be happy. The way the team is fairing now when I hear someone whinge it snaps me.....

Also agree with spending abit on a CB, but hopefully now that Tzane signed he may get game time.

• 2 weeks later...

Very surprised poyet would make those comments. That kind of uncertainty is Not fair to the players. On the other hand, hard to blame him. The league is such a rinky-dink corrupt bordello.

And like you all said, he's been massive for us. I hope he stays. The man deserves whatever we can pay him if he keeps these results up.