Phantis Forums

New Coach

Original 21

I think it's a good choice for AEK.  He knows Greek football, he knows the Greek mentality.  He knows the club and the expectations.  Could do a lot worse.

Edited by Bananas

• 1 month later...

Poor decision at this point. Too bad. No patience in Greece. That's ok, no one else is available at this point so we will end up getting ouzonidis or some other out of work Greek coach. 

Hope they have someone lined up or we will have a rough time until December. 

Ketsbaia was dangerous for this team; he was horrible at making in-game adjustments and setting the team up tactically. He had to go; it has nothing to do with the results. The fact is, he was given the best roster we've had since 2008, and we've been playing horribly. We won games because of mistakes by our opponents and we were outplayed in all but one game. After the fiasco against Olympiakos, where he set the team up to fail he lost the locker room. 

We have a chance now to save our season. We are only two points back, and now with a proper coach we can be contenders. However, Melissanidis can not be cheap about this. He NEEDS to bring in an experienced manager that has done decently in a high-quality league, and he needs to allow that manager to bring in his own assistants. Marcelo Biesla, Thomas Schaaf, Michel, or Marcellino that was sacked by Villareal just a few months ago, should be options if we want to mean business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelino_García_Toral 

Marcelino is my personal favorite, he lead Villareal back to the first division and then to 3 straight top 6 finishes, including a fourth-place finish last year and a run to the semi-finals of the Europa League. Melissanidis, splash the cash, save the season, and give this man the keys to the club. 

WOW...... Well.... We've just announced Jose Morais as our new manager :question:  

For whoever doesn't know him, he was Mourinho's assistant at Inter, Real Madrid, and Chelsea.... He has very limited head coaching experience, coached last year in Turkey for a team that was just promoted and lead them to a mid-table finish. The ONLY positive about this move is that they replaced Ketsbaia very quickly, and they must've had this move lined up during the international break, so maybe he knows a little bit about our players already... Other than that it looks like a bad move... 

• Like it 1

Ketsbaia was awful.

If this guy has learned at the feet of Mourinho and uses modern methods (unlike the Georgian's antiquated ideas), I think it will be a good fit.

Don't forget Mourinho started as an assistant to the great Sir Bobby.

2 hours ago, Nikod said:

Ketsbaia was awful.

If this guy has learned at the feet of Mourinho and uses modern methods (unlike the Georgian's antiquated ideas), I think it will be a good fit.

Don't forget Mourinho started as an assistant to the great Sir Bobby.

This guy's a 51 year old career assistant... It's not like he's young...

I assumed he was young. So not as promising a hire as I first thought. But hey, the guy has experience at Real, Inter and Chelsea. Maybe he can bring some professionalism to our club, instead of the usual bourdello s%$#! you get from guys who've spent their career in the super clicka

I heard his interview yesterday and he seems like a cool & calm character. Saw a few clips on his team in Turkey and they seem to have played a good brand of football. Lets see what he can bring to us, he has the players to do well and hopefully January he can bring a couple in to cover certain positions and also make the team stronger.

He wont have an easy start though with 3 big games in the next 5 coming up Panionios Paok & Pao.

Also noticed Simeos was training with the team, how co-incidental is it Ketsbaia leaves and Simeos is not injured anymore.

Edited by Original Sydney
  • Like it 1

^ Right? All of a sudden Simoes is good to go again as if nothing ever happened. 

I'll passively say that I'm not too sure about Morais' resume, however I do have faith in Maistorovic and I like the signs thus far. I'm relieved that Ketpaya is no longer our coach. The guy made a career out of his passion and I'm thankful for everything he's given to AEK, but no it makes sense why the gauro got rid of him after a few games, even though he never lost. The guy was a tactical disaster and it was almost shocking how clueless he was, and how he wasted the summer training camp. 

• 2 months later...

He got enough time, it was clear the players had no interest in playing or fighting for him.

No more axristous please for the love of everything that is holy, we need someone with some pedigree, someone the players will give their all for.

Who is decent that is available?

I'd take him, considering its the middle of the season and anybody thats foreign and decent is most likely attached to a club.

His record with us overall albeit first 2 seasons in the lower divisions was pretty good - games: 84, wins: 63, draws: 12, losses: 9, goals for: 193, goals against: 55, win % = 75

His record in the SL with us was 7 games, 4 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses. His record with Atromitos was 29 games, 13 wins, 8 draws and 8 losses.

I say we try to break the record and hire/fire a few more coaches for the rest of the season. I am sure there is a FIFA record somewhere  

Players wont play/fight for ketsbaia... same for morais. This is a joke. The players will continue this bs as long as we keep dropping coaches. Pedigree or not. 

No long term strategy. I don't care about the press. We should have kept ketsbaia for the year.. for good or for bad. To send a message that the players either go out and play or rot in the bench. 

We are a joke. And I mean aek and Greece in general. You never will get real players or coaches if you are viewed as an unprofessional place to play 

In addition to coaching issues and overall team management (i.e. spending on transfers etc...) the plain fact is that the players on this squad are just not that good. You kind of get what you pay for and combine that with second rate coaches and you have poor results week in and week out. Hopefully they can pull it together and keep a coach for the remainder of the season and finish in the top 5. Sad that a top 5 finish is the goal and challenging for a championship is again reduced to a pipe dream.