Phantis Forums

Ivan Savvidis - PAE PAOK owner/president

italosPAOK4

For all those rumours swirling around that Savvidis is ready to sell the club I say BOOM

Σαββίδης: "Όσα λεφτά κι αν μου δώσουν, τον ΠΑΟΚ που είναι η ψυχή μου δεν τον δίνω

https://www.sport24.gr/football/savvidis-osa-lefta-ki-an-moy-dosoyn-ton-paok-poy-einai-i-psychi-moy-den-ton-dino.9356449.html

https://www.paok24.com/podosfairo/285224/savvidis-o-paok-einai-i-psychi-moy-den-poleitai/

Multiple sources there since some people have problems with one site or another. 

Just because we haven't spent on transfers this season doesn't mean Ivan is done with PAOK. Not sure why he would've signed Lucescu to a 1.7 Million 3 year contract, if that was the case. We clearly reduced our budget in terms of paying for players, looking for free agents or loans but we are still giving out pretty big contracts (Oliviera, Kurtic) 

For a final time I'll say, Savvidis has been a great owner and president. He has given us success and stability. Is he perfect? No, but the small percentage of fans who think we are better off without him or want him gone are delusional.  

• Like it 2

No one said we are better off without him. 

But he promised alot! And so far has only paid the bills and wasted his own money! 

In all the years of his ownership we have only had 1 good squad when we won the comp & that wasnt enough to get us in the CL!!

3 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

The truth is, if it wasn't for him, what would your alternative be? It's not like there are investors willing to spend money in the Greek league.  

Honestly speaking, pretty much every football team worldwide is used mainly for one thing. Laundry.

1 hour ago, Athens4 said:

king, pretty much every football team worldwide is used mainly for one thing. Laundry.

That may be true, but looked at what happened to PAO.  No one came in to rescue them.  It may be frustrating that he hasn't invested as much as he said, but from when he bought them to now, PAOK is a force again.

• Like it 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumour at the London Fan Club the other night that Savvidis is looking to sell. Apparently a Greek entrepreneur based in Italy is looking to buy. Of course I don't know how much of this holds true but with what has been going on lately it makes sense.

At the end of the day Savvidis is a businessman. He has bought (and sold) various assets in northern Greece and I am sure PAOK played a huge role in helping him secure them. I can only assume he now has enough control (real estate in the city, the port, TV channel, beach resort) in order to let go of PAOK that I am pretty sure is running at a loss for him.

• Like it 1

Fake news. It turns out he story was first put out by some obscure site that took the story down several hours later. However that did not stop the media paid by Marinakis (including Raptopoulos) to propagate the story. In other words a planted story to create confusion. 

People need to realize that there is an all out attack against Savvidis by the establishment on orders of the US government.

• Like it 1

All of you are wrong, it's *Martians* who have surreptitiously taken over the government of Poland which has applied pressure to the US to demand the Greek government take out Savvidis but the only kompromat they've been able to find involves something called a "borscht bath," whatever the hell that is.

• 7 months later...

10 years ago on this day, Ivan Savvidis  took control of PAE PAOK and saved the team from destruction.

In the last 10 years Savvidis has invested 165 million Euro in the team and made the team a real contender in Greece.

Let's hope he lasts at least 10 more years and fulfils his dream to build a new stadium for the team.

• Like it 2

I remember the newspaper articles a few years before Savvidis actually bought the team.  And then it all went quiet for a couple of years and I just forgot about it.  When it actually happened I was like "oh wow this is really happening".

• Like it 1

Went to the toumba today last time I was their was September 2019. 

Im convinced Ivan cleaned 100m euros of dirty cash through PAOK has taken it all back and he thinks the poverty and misery of Thessa is enough for us to not see it! 

Ivan time to go son we can read your USSR propaganda! 

Enjoy having Kargas as our centre back and Brand Thomas as our striker for 2022! Stop defending him and attacking me for me pointing out the truth... 

Did Ivan put us in the Champions League like he promised??????

Under Savvidis PAOK won more titles in 10 years than the team won in 86 years prior to him taking over. Without Savvidis the team would have dropped to 3rd division and come back with a different team name and starting to accumulate more debt again.

The Champions League dream is still achievable as long as he remains running the club. With some planted puppet from the government to run the team we would never be in the running for titles and we would be back to being an average team finishing in 4th place.

• Like it 1

21 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Don’t disagree with a lot you say! However, on paper, where would you put our team this season? Do we honestly think they’re top 3? 

I guess we won't know that until May 2023. I always laugh at the bandwagon fans that jump on and off based on couple of games during the summer heat.

To answer your question, it looks like Panathinaikos, Aris and AEK will be improved. I don't see Olympiakos being better, but we know they have other ways to achieve their goals. I don't think we can contend for the title, but 2nd place is achievable. After that 3rd to 5th place does not make much difference as it gives you the same price, which is ticket to Conference League.

• Like it 1

Because others have different opinion than yours , I wouldn’t call them Bandwagon fans. You can say they’re overreacting but calling people bandwagon fans when you don’t know their story is premature. 

Anyways, why are we acting like the summer games mean nothing. We failed at our objective of making Europe. Why? Because it was “summer heat”? No because we were unprepared. We can blame whoever we want. 

I disagree with 3-5 means the same. Technically yes in terms of making conf league. But losing in the Qualifying stages at the start of this year and coming in 5th would be humiliating in my opinion.

No the summer games mean a lot, but what I don't like is the bitching fest because we missed out on Europe. And to tell you the truth people need to realize that losing is part of the game (basically the chance of losing is 50/50). There are always two teams competing on the field. Not making Europe should not be the end of the world as some are portraying things. Then you have the bandwagon trolls that come out of the woodwork only when the team is not doing good.

I for one prefer to look ahead and hope that any failure is a learning point that will make the team better in the future. Let's not forget that after we were eliminated by Ostersund we went on and won an undefeated double. Let's not paint everything black (pun intended) after one bad result.

I don't want the team to finish 4th or 5th, but if I see that we are seriously working on rebuilding this team with the goal to have more success in the future that I am ok with it.

I think we'll end up 3rd to 5th.  2nd ... maybe depends on Panathinaikos and AEK.  Panathinaikos are really going hard this transfer window.  We'll see I guess.

Is this squad better than previous years ?  Almost certainly not.  But the club is going down a different path.  Previously it was experienced players 28+ years old in general and the wages were a lot higher.  You look at our transfers this transfer window and they are all quite young.

Which would I prefer ?  The Michel model but we just don't have the cash to do that sustainably.  So it is what it is.  My concern is how many of these "prospects" will come good ?  How long will it take ?  And very importantly, will Lucescu stick around ?