Phantis Forums

Greece-Hungary (11 October 2015, Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

I had a feeling that he might score like 5 goals and wish they would have been more evenly spread out through the campaign. (Would of resulted in a handful of wins considered the 0-0s)

im glad we got a win

that's actually a great idea by Tsanas that I didn't think of.

load the midfield with CAMs

we have 6 good ones. so it increases our odds of one having a good night.

pelkas, ninis, fortounis, mantelos, kone, lazaros

highlights  

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

This result shocks me. We have only scored 3 goals prior to this match, and all of the sudden Greece showed up and score 4? That is pretty messed up. 

and FML, Albania is qualified for Euro 2016? Great, now all the knuckleheads will be bashing our patrida for years to come. 

Completely agree. Samaris and Tachtsidis were also very good, and very mobile. If we had any defenders worth a damn, it would have been an excellent game.

I can't wait for the next coach to not play those three AMs at all.

We looked Brazil like what offense! our defending was suspect again, cant give up 3 goals back to back games. At least we won!

The old brazil or the current brazil?

Tsanas found balance in the midfield. Samaris as the base, Tachtsidis looked at home today in the 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1 formation. For the first time we've seen Samaris and Tachtsidis work out in a midfield. Bravo Tsanas.

Samaris actually played well, which is amazing to me. Hopefully he keeps it up, and takes up the spot of Maniatis going forward. I'm glad Tachtsidis got a start and did well - he has all of Tziolis' ability and seemingly none of his faults, so if anything we should be playing him *more* often. He and Samaris together won't get better if they never see the field at the same time.

Okay so there is a lot written about tach and samaris.

Samaris for me is extremely overrated, does a bit of everything but doesn't necessarily excel at anything. Tachtsidis, i can see the value of having him in the lineup because he can find the players in front of him. Problem is though, that he is extremely slow. Partner him with Samaris, and you are asking for trouble. Hungary's third goal, the opposing player jots between them and leaves them eating his dust.

I still think a fourtounis taxi cm would work better than Samaris and taxi.

I may have just skipped your post. You make a good point. As i mentioned above samaris and taxi ( like the two twin towers) is asking for trouble. You need someone more mobile.

I like fortounis in a deeper role. We saw him against arsenal in this role in which he showed a lot of confidence. I think he is still raw in an advanced role, but he may just find his niche further back. We have been longing for someone that can consistency recycle the ball.

• Like it 1

Albania only qualified as CAS reversed the decision with Serbia, Serbia was awarded the 3 points at first then CAS involved themselves......

Serbia was only deducted 3 points. They weren't nearly close enough.

• Like it 1

They ran into spaces and made movements off the ball. Not the lethargic moonwalking of kats and tziolis pretending to be traffic cops on the pitch.

I lol'd

the tachtsi goal & mitroglou assist were sexy

I can't recall a pair of ethiniki goals that pretty

I loved the hunger in our players Tachtsi, Kone, Fortounis specifically.

Edited by georgelaz

was Toro injured?

so we have put the good display down to Samaris - Taxi and the mobility of Pelkas- Fortounis- Mandalos..

The questions I have.....Samaris at 26 has been average and poor at times .....So why the change?  Was it a one off..

Taxi at 24 plays his best game...why not before?  We/I have been screaming for years that this is the problem spot...I don't think we have solved it just yet....  Maybe Bouchalakis is another option moving forward...

Mandalos-Pelkas- Fortounis....none are naturally wide players?....So they out played Hungary 2015 not 1958.

I think aek66 makes a valid point.......Samaris-Taxi allowed the other 3 to excel......  However are these players better than Kone, Fetfa, Lazaros, Ninis??

It's a good dilemma to ponder before our next game...

I have no doubt that K.Pap, Manolas would sure up anything we saw in defence that was scary.

why is everyone crying for the 3 goals we conceded seriously ? our defence was full of substitutes... i heard the greek commentator saying something about moras playing coz "this is probably his last game with the ethniki". manolas didnt play , k.paps didnt play , the substitude defender was making a debut and he is young , stafylidis sub , kitsiou not even a 100% defender. I am not getting hyped about playing too damn good in 1 game only , but  why do u fuss about hte defence...

The truth is that the goals conceded were amateurish stuff. This defensive reputation which has we've trashed in 12 months has to be worked on and improved.

Our defenders are just as good as any in Europe but they need direction and help from the midfield.

The goals we've conceded these last 2 matches against Hungary and NI were diabolical. The positive thing is we will tighten up. We can't give these gifts to Belgium. They'll tear us apart.

• Like it 2

no albania were not given the 3 points...

Serbia were awarded the match...but were deducted 3 points...Albania got zilch..

I think Original Sydney is also right.

Serbia forfeited the match 0-3 and had 3 points deducted while Albania got 3 points after the CAS verdict which means that Albania would have finished 1 point behind Denmark in third and thus no automatic qualification and no guarantee of progressing.

• Like it 1

why is everyone crying for the 3 goals we conceded seriously ? our defence was full of substitutes... i heard the greek commentator saying something about moras playing coz "this is probably his last game with the ethniki". manolas didnt play , k.paps didnt play , the substitude defender was making a debut and he is young , stafylidis sub , kitsiou not even a 100% defender. I am not getting hyped about playing too damn good in 1 game only , but  why do u fuss about hte defence...

I get what you are saying but how does that explain the 5 goals in total against NI, the 2 against FI and so on? Let's not forget guys we have always had trouble scoring this is NOT something new, the only thing that is new is our goals against and how horrible we've,played defensively. Let's say our offense does get better but the way we are playing defensively stays the same all that means is we will be losing 5-2 against teams like Bosnia and Belgium who can both score at will. FIX THE DEFENCE

• Like it 1

Very encouraging signs from this game.  I even have some hope now for WC qualifying.  The lineup was something I didn't expect.  Could it be that Tsanas actually knows the game ?  Or did he play the "reserves" to teach the "best" 11 a lesson.  The irony.

Tachs was superb.  Until we get the DM/CM roles sorted, this team will never progress.  As others have pointed out, hopefully this display along with Samaris wasn't a one off.  I wonder if having more attacking options allowed Tachs to play his natural game, or whether he just had a really good batch of fasoulada.  He was just out of control.

Pelkas, Fourtounis, Mandalos great to see.  Go for it, damn it.  These kids will only get better.

Mitroglou showed what I was trying to point to all along.

He's one of the best strikers Greece ever had, but he needs service.

Most strikers can't make something out of nothing. Without service he becomes a pylon. 

With a good midfield we'll see that Klaus isn't too shabby either.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Nobody should be complaining. ANY win is a miracle after what we've been through the last year+. Regroup for WC qualifying, but for now, be happy about the win and the end of our long drought. Hire a real manager and let the healing begin.