Phantis Forums

Northern Ireland-Greece (8 October 2015. Windsor Park, Belfast)

Greekaroos

If we had proven players then I would agree 100% we would need to play them. At the moment since we are elimanted from the Euros now is the time to give guys a shot and see what they can do until we find something we are comfortable with. JVC what else choice do we have right now? We still have to field a line up. We can't fold the NT and not play any games. Why not take this opportunity and try out some guys that are doing good for there club teams. We need to keep the obvious- Kpaps,Socrat,toro,mono,holebas,Kone,karnezis, in my mind this is our core that must lead the team and start every game. Now I have left a few out which may fit with these guys but for the most part these boys need to be our core we build around. As far as the other positions this is were we need to give some guys a try until we figure out what the best line to field going into the World Cup. Guys we still have some good pieces we are NOT as s%$#! as we showed this campaign IMO. That's why I'm rely hoping first a new coach builds a structure and only then he can pick guys that he thinks will fit his structure and vision. In this qualifier there was a lot of confusion on the pitch and guys didn't know there role. Look at the Netherlands they have great pieces yet they look like s%$#!. Let's start with the coach and a system first and then let's truly judge the players when there is a system in place and they know what there role is. Right now it's very hard to judge anyone because nobody knows there role everyone is trying to do everything themselves. I agree the players need to take responsibility but if there is no structure and no system then any team is beatable.

We have plenty of proven players but not in the last 15 months at national team level. Karnezis when not playing injured has show to be one of the best in the Serie A. Mitroglou was on fire before he got injured after the Romania WCQ in 2013 & starting to score goals for fun again. Manolas, Sokratis, Kyriakos & Torosidis have been as good as any defender in their position when in form. Samaris, Maniatis, Kone, Holebas & Lazaros have showed they can mix it with best at some time in the past. Fetfatzidis, Ninis, Fortounis & others have shown glimpses of class in the past.

Giannou is garbage.....

Mitro and Klaus no matter how their form has been are by far the only quality strikers we have today.

I don't know about the form of Stafyllidis, Fetfa, Taxi, Lazaros, Mandalos....

I'd pick. Karnezis, Toro, Manolas, Sokratis,Holebas, Samaris,Fortounis, Mitro,Klaus, Kone, Karelis,Pelkas in the squad...the remainder on form.

• Like it 1

^ finally people saying that Klaus & Mitroglou are our best strikers right now!

We just gotta solidify our AM/Wingers we got a lot of options, we just gotta find the right formula and we're up and running IMO.

2-3 of these guys are probably our starters unless i'm forgetting someone. 

Lazaros

Fortounis

Ninis

Kone

Fetfatzidis

Karelis

right now I'm feeling

Karelis Kone Ninis (it can really go any way of the aforementioned.)

regardles of form probably

Karelis Kone Feftazidis (because they're all in our natural position and I feel Kone has a bit more edge than Ninis right now)

Samaris as cdm for sure and tachtsidis in for him when slacking. Maniatis with Samaris is a great combo imo they do different things and use different dominant foot.

our back end is basically a lock.

Mitroglou

???                    ???                            ???

Samaris              Maniatis

Holebas          Manolas          Sokratis            Torosidis

Karnezis

After Torosidis retires we move into a 3 cb position because we have no class right backs compared to the 3 CB's we have.

But I say we do this AFTER world cup.

Edited by georgelaz

Toro hasn't got the pace for RB. Bakakis is the right option today. I remember after world cup Mantalos got a shot during euro, people were saying how he was a lone shining light. Now, having been out injured, people are saying he is a myth and they would hand him over to isis. Make up your minds fellow armchair experts! He's quality or he isn't. Same with Klaus. he was being fed to the dogs, now he is our second best stricker again. Karelis is apparently best utilized as CF. That takes him out to third best CF. Why put him on the wing? Are his crosses and cutting back inside top quality?

Pelkas is best used as an AM, so is he good enough as a wingman? 

Consider Tachtsidis DM, Maniatis CM and Fortounis AM. Covering them could be Petsos DM, Samaris CM and Mantalos AM. I think Petsos might still be injured though. The alternative, why not Lagos as back up DM? Playing people in their best positions is always best. There isn't too much experience in the DM area, unless we want Tziolis. So, give these others a go to keep finding solutions and team chemistry.

We haven't been winning, but often losing 1-0 and getting draws, we haven't been getting hammered either.

Edited by ausgreek

hmm what do you guys think of starting both mitroglou & klaus? they have different strengths

klaus = poaching, faster, body contortions 

mitroglou = shot power, heading, strength

they use opposite dominant feet (though mitroglou can use both)

is it a waste for two strikers that could be more utilized to patch up our dicey midfield?

Karnezis, Kapino, Vellidis, Moras, Vyntra, kitsiou, stafylidis, Sokratis, Manolas, Kpaps, Tziolis, Pelkas, torosidis, holevas, tachtsidis, Samaris, klaus, fortounis, mantalos, Kone, Mitroglou, karelis, aravidis all called up

9 defenders? Is Vyntra really necessary? No natural attacking wingers? Just Aravidis Karelis Kone and Karelis who are not natural wingers and get lost when they aren't playing in the middle? Mantalos, the kid is quality, he's got some amazing technical ability, but he's played a full 90 minutes once this year and has had 2 substitute appearances, sure he was solid in all 3 games but I don't think he should be called up already so soon after injury.

Hopefully Samaris' Mitroglous and Fortounis' solid club form can carry over to the national team, we need all 3 to get their heads out of their asses when they play with the ethniki.

Let's get a win!

I'd start

--------------------------/Karnezis

Torosidis -------Sokratis-----Manolas ------------Holebas

-------------Samaris ---Kyriakos ---Tachtsidis------------

----------------------------Fortounis-----------------------------

----------------------Karelis---------Mitroglou------------------

We have no natural wingers, so we might as well stack the midfield with 4 players. K Pap sitting in front of the 4 man defense has been used before in the Hungary game, and he did better than Tziois or Samaris could do in that spot. Having him there allows Samaris to play in a more natural position for him and play as an 8ari, he won't have to worry as much about his defensive duty because he has K Pap back there covering for him. Tachtsidis should play just to get some more experience in these meaningless games, Tziolis isn't a long term answer and shouldn't play. Fortounis has just been incredible this year, in his only Champions League start he made the team of the week just for JVC.

Mitroglou has done well so far for Benfica, and Karelis has done ok for Panathinaikos. Klaus I believe is coming off of injury and hasn't done much this year so I wouldn't start him. Aravidis' style of play does not match well with the Ethniki, he's a player that pressures the back line and makes runs off the ball, for the ethniki this doesn't work because he is the only one doing it and it's not effective. On the ball he isn't great, I'd compare him to Salpigidis post Euro 2012, a great professional, works hard, but on the ball he's just not good enough for this level, even though he's better than Salpigidis was the last few years. Truth be told, in his only two caps he was played out of position, much like Salpigidis was, but his performance was still shocking.

With this lineup we'd have lots and lots of height. K Pap Manolas Sokratis Tachtsidis and Mitroglou are all tall. Karelis Torosidis and Samaris aren't as tall as the others but they aren't short and all have solid headers. With Fortounis and Holebas, we should threaten from set pieces.

But with this clown Tsanas as coach we wouldn't use that lineup, we'd probably start this:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Holebas

Samaris Tziolis

Karelis Fortounis Aravidis

Mitroglou

• Like it 1

With your formation, Original, Fortounis would go to the wing rather than Tachtsidis, when play spreads wide to the left. I reckon keep him at AM, or someone faster than Taxi perhaps to go out wider in a 4-4-2 formation.

Like the idea of two guys up the front, so Mitro isn't left up there posted on his own.

Edited by ausgreek

With your formation, Original, Fortounis would go to the wing rather than Tachtsidis, when play spreads wide to the left. I reckon keep him at AM, or someone faster than Taxi perhaps to go out wider in a 4-4-2 formation.

Like the idea of two guys up the front, so Mitro isn't left up there posted on his own.

There's no wing in my formation. 3 central mids, with Fortounis in front of them.